Reload this Page >

How long before you are considered a PR

Wikiposts

How long before you are considered a PR

Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long before you are considered a PR

Im a Kiwi. How long do I have to be living in Oz before Im considered to be a permanent resident. Do they just take your word for it that you have moved over on a permanent basis.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:12 pm
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation How long

Hi:

Length of time you stay is not how you get PR. You have to apply
to Immigration on the one of the types of Visas:

Skilled
Marriage
Refugee
Etc.

I think there are special arrangements for Kiwis so check with the Australian Embassy in NZ or check the website:

http://www.immi.gov.au

Good luck :lecture:
Old Sep 12th 2003, 1:20 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long before you are considered a PR

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
Im a Kiwi. How long do I have to be living in Oz before Im considered to be a permanent resident. Do they just take your word for it that you have moved over on a permanent basis.

According to the Aussies I speak to kiwis are all dole bludgers who live down at Bondi. Because of this prejudice you have to apply for a visa like the rest of us refos if you want to get residency which give you access to centrelink.

There is an exception available from the link below.

http://www.immi.gov.au/general/nz_citz_notice/index.htm
Old Sep 12th 2003, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help. Im going to be coming over to Brisbane in March for a couple of weeks on my own to check out work and rental issues. My main worry is finding a job somewhere in Qld so I can support the family. probably is most other peoples worry as well. I might even look at purchasing a small business - who knows. Graham
Old Sep 14th 2003, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How long before you are considered a PR

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
NZers no longer get Aus PR status, unless they were in Aus prior to Feb 2001 (see below for details). NZers automatically get a temporary special category visa...which allows them to live and work in Aus indefinately..(go figure!)

Personally, I think if youre able to live and work in Aus indefinately you should be able to call yourself a PR, but who says gov-officials should make sure their rules make sense.

Anyway, see the quote below, from http://www.nz-oz.gov.au for the details....

Special Category Visa holders are not able to satisfy the definition of an Australian resident for social security purposes unless they belong to a protected group of Special Category Visa holders and reside in Australia. The protected group includes Special Category Visa holders who:

were in Australia on 26 February 2001; or

had been in Australia for a period of, or for periods totalling, 12 months during the period of two years before 26 February 2001 and returned to Australia; or

were residing in Australia on 26 February 2001 but were temporarily absent; or

commenced/recommenced residing in Australia by 26 May 2001.
Special Category Visa holders who were residing in Australia on 26 February but were temporarily absent and were not receiving a social security payment must return to Australia and apply for a determination of their residence status by 26 February 2002 in order to retain their protected status after that date (unless they claimed a social security payment before 26 February 2002).

Special Category Visa holders who were residing in Australia on 26 February 2001 but were temporarily absent and were receiving a social security payment were required to return to Australia by 26 August 2001 to retain their protected status after that date. Centrelink must issue a determination of their residence status within 6 months of their return to Australia.

Finally, Special Category Visa holders who commenced/recommenced residing in Australia by 26 May 2001 must apply for a determination of their residence status by 26 February 2004 (unless they claimed a social security payment before that date) and be physically present in Australia on the date of application in order to retain their protected status after 26 February 2004.