Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how have your children settled

how have your children settled

Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

shell74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how have your children settled

My Daughter will be turning 7 when we arrive (fingers crossed) she would have been in year two in the uk . How does the education system differ ? How have your children settled?
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: how have your children settled

Hi,

My daughter turned 7 in May, and in England she would have been in year 2, but here she is in year 1. She was half way through year 1 as we left UK, when we arrived here she had to go into Kindy at the very start of the year.

I dont think the education system is that much different, although most of the schools are alot bigger and there is a lot more pressure put on them to do well etc.

We made a wrong choice in the school and our kids didnt settle until we moved them into another school (Steiner), and now they are really happy.

The kids have all settled really well, (including my 9 year old at the time, he's 11 now, who was adamant that he never wanted to come here) and its really surprising to see how quickly they adapt and make new friends, its like they were born here now!

Last edited by Rachel69; Aug 2nd 2007 at 8:40 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

thanks,
My daughter is beyond her years , due to my nana 70 being my child minder while i returned to full time work. I don't regret that !!! My son turns 1 in September and i want to put them first now hence our move to Australia.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shell74
My Daughter will be turning 7 when we arrive (fingers crossed) she would have been in year two in the uk . How does the education system differ ? How have your children settled?

We came over two years ago when our dd was 7. She turned 8 a month after we arrived. She completed year 2 at school in the UK and started school here in January last year for the start of year 3.

She loves her school here and is far happier than she ever was back in the UK. She has made some great friends, and her education has come a long way too - she's made great strides academically, although it's impossible to say whether that's due to her new school, being happier here (she was bullied in the UK), or having better teachers/better education system. We have certainly found that the emphasis here is more on educating to be a good citizen/person rather than any obsession with academia, but we prefer that in some ways - at least she will use what she is learning. The academic standards are still fine by us though.

She wouldn't go back to the UK in a million years. Nor would we. Your dd is a good age to adapt and I'm sure she will. Good luck to you all.

r12p
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:02 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachel69
Hi,

My daughter turned 7 in May, and in England she would have been in year 2, but here she is in year 1. She was half way through year 1 as we left UK, when we arrived here she had to go into Kindy at the very start of the year.

I dont think the education system is that much different, although most of the schools are alot bigger and there is a lot more pressure put on them to do well etc.

We made a wrong choice in the school and our kids didnt settle until we moved them into another school (Steiner), and now they are really happy.

The kids have all settled really well, (including my 9 year old at the time, he's 11 now, who was adamant that he never wanted to come here) and its really surprising to see how quickly they adapt and make new friends, its like they were born here now!

I have always admired Steiner schools and was considering one for my son in a few years time. However, have read a disturbing report in The Age about them being investigated as a cult....if you can find the report...I'd be interested in your opinion.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
I have always admired Steiner schools and was considering one for my son in a few years time. However, have read a disturbing report in The Age about them being investigated as a cult....if you can find the report...I'd be interested in your opinion.

My daughter goes to a Montessori school, which is similar to a Steiner school. I'm well impressed with it.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:06 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My daughter goes to a Montessori school, which is similar to a Steiner school. I'm well impressed with it.
I have heard good things about both. In fact Nephew went to Montessori. I think that is why I was surprised by the article.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:07 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Our boy has just turned two and whilst he can quite yet speak I think that he loves it here. He plays in a different park every day (I think that the sheer abundance of parks for the children to play is amazing and there is nothing to rival it back home) and generally gets to play outside a lot.

If I gave him the mortgage/bills/s****y government policy/p**s poor salary commensurate to my experience and industry to worry about for a week or two he might end up feeling like me.....

He would be by far the biggest loser if we ever returned to the UK....
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 2:09 am
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point

Two girls aged 8 and 11 settled really well.
The youngest goes through phases of being homesick but says that she would rather live here than back in the UK
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by busterboy
I think I read about that a while ago. I totally disagree, alot of people have weird opinions of it and they usually know nothing about it. My kids absolutely love it, I think its great.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:49 am
Just Joined

Default Don't leave home without it !!!!!!!!!

Now your in Australia what do you wish you had taken with you ?? House clearance has begun
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:55 am
A rather curious boy

Default Re: Don't leave home without it !!!!!!!!!

Now your in Australia what do you wish you had taken with you ?? House clearance has begun
Warm duvets, fleeces, jackets
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:36 am
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy
excuse my ignorance but what is a steiner school? Is it private?
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Rob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the roughRob12paws is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
excuse my ignorance but what is a steiner school? Is it private?
Steiner education is a philosophy, as is Montessori. If you google either, you'll find plenty on the subject. Steiner and Montessori education is private (sadly) and they generally have a long waiting list. We wanted to go the Steiner route when we came here, but the only school with vacancies was way outside our limit for travel with only one car. Have a look at this: http://www.silvertree.wa.edu.au/home.htm - gives a nice overview. Some are much more rigid to the philosophy than others - for example, some ban TV, some ban plastic toys, only permitting wooden ones. It's more a lifestyle, I guess.

HTH.

r12p
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 1:34 pm
3 Yrs til the good life!

terriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really niceterriefarrell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rob12paws
Steiner education is a philosophy, as is Montessori. If you google either, you'll find plenty on the subject. Steiner and Montessori education is private (sadly) and they generally have a long waiting list. We wanted to go the Steiner route when we came here, but the only school with vacancies was way outside our limit for travel with only one car. Have a look at this: http://www.silvertree.wa.edu.au/home.htm - gives a nice overview. Some are much more rigid to the philosophy than others - for example, some ban TV, some ban plastic toys, only permitting wooden ones. It's more a lifestyle, I guess.

HTH.

r12p
read the complete banning of the internet and decided that this wasn't for me! Never heard of it before, interesting though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.