Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How has your year been ??

How has your year been ??

Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:34 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How has your year been ??

With 2005 nearly at an end, I though it was time for people to perhaps precis how the year has been for them.

For us, it has certainly been a year of change..

I left England on January the 10th, to move to Australia - Melbourne to be exact. I came over on a temporay work visa - and got placed in a job I hated from the beginning. I moved into a house in a lovely suburb - near the sea, and with a great cafe culture (something Carl and i have always liked - esp during our travels in Europe)
Carl joined me on the 1st of March.
I struggled on with the job for a while as I couldn't leave it due to the type of visa.

We applied for Permanent Residency in Feb, and got it in July - I then walked out of my job, and Carl walked in the job of his dreams as a Chess coach for kids/schools all over Melbourne.

Sine then I have not worked (lazy bitch ), but have entertained family visitors for a period of 3 months

This week, we are moving to another part of Mellie...a much buzzier area, and also closer to most of Carls schools.

Our move has been the best thing we have done since meeting one another - life was getting us down in the UK - I worked stupid hours, and we hardly ever saw one another...we have found the place we love, ourselves, and each other again.

Cas
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:40 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How has your year been ??

awe what a lovely post......so what u r trying to say is...you are living ur dream.

Good on ya

H xx
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:49 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

what a lovely warm fuzzy post.....hope the next year is as inspiring
gillian
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:53 am
Account Closed

thanks girls
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Helen37 has a brilliant futureHelen37 has a brilliant futureHelen37 has a brilliant futureHelen37 has a brilliant futureHelen37 has a brilliant futureHelen37 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
With 2005 nearly at an end, I though it was time for people to perhaps precis how the year has been for them.

I left England on January the 10th, to move to Australia - Melbourne to be exact. I came over on a temporay work visa - and got placed in a job I hated from the beginning. I moved into a house in a lovely suburb - near the sea, and with a great cafe culture (something Carl and i have always liked - esp during our travels in Europe)
I struggled on with the job for a while as I couldn't leave it due to the type of visa.

We applied for Permanent Residency in Feb, and got it in July - I then walked out of my job, and Carl walked in the job of his dreams as a Chess coach for kids/schools all over Melbourne.

Sine then I have not worked (lazy bitch ), but have entertained family visitors for a period of 3 months

This week, we are moving to another part of Mellie...a much buzzier area, and also closer to most of Carls schools.

Our move has been the best thing we have done since meeting one another - life was getting us down in the UK - I worked stupid hours, and we hardly ever saw one another...we have found the place we love, ourselves, and each other again.

Cas
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

thanks girls
Great post! Our 2005, normal highs and lows of life really! Got back to UK and quickly settled into life back here. Boys back at village school, me in A&E at first and Mark response officer.

Put house on market (I think everyone knows our woes about that one)!
Oh and applied for PR and got it granted in Sep!

I think this year has seen us all do a lot of thinking and talking as a family about what we want in life. We know the choices out there, UK good Aus good too - therefore such a difficult decsion to make. After much thought, we decided to go back.

From March onwards its been a mixture of working stacks of hours and trying to sell this house with few family probs thrown in for good measure!

Not a bad year on the whole, has made me appreciate what I have already and how lucky i am X
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by glittababe
Great post! Our 2005, normal highs and lows of life really! Got back to UK and quickly settled into life back here. Boys back at village school, me in A&E at first and Mark response officer.

Put house on market (I think everyone knows our woes about that one)!
Oh and applied for PR and got it granted in Sep!

I think this year has seen us all do a lot of thinking and talking as a family about what we want in life. We know the choices out there, UK good Aus good too - therefore such a difficult decsion to make. After much thought, we decided to go back.

From March onwards its been a mixture of working stacks of hours and trying to sell this house with few family probs thrown in for good measure!

Not a bad year on the whole, has made me appreciate what I have already and how lucky i am X
After your up and down year..you deserve some luck and 'normalness' (whatever that is !! )
Hope everything is better for you next year
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:11 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent cas I am so pleased for you but this year has gone so quick don't you think..... doesnt seem minutes since we were having dinner at the Bleedin Wolf!

Our year has been really good in the way that we have done like you moved to a better place for us and our girls....
Rich got a job in February so we knew roughly where we had to move to. We made some excellent friends got our visa and the rest is history!!!

But in the past few weeks we have found a home for us to move into with a pool and is really close to the schhol.

Christmas day we are spending with friends and then New Years Eve with a different set of friends to finish the year off.

Wonder what 2006 will bring??? A nice job for me perhaps, and a nice nursery for georgia. Rich's parents will be here visiting for 3 months so we all really look forward to that.

Our life is so much better here and we are so happy.

Ang
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rich and Angie
Excellent cas I am so pleased for you but this year has gone so quick don't you think..... doesnt seem minutes since we were having dinner at the Bleedin Wolf!

Our year has been really good in the way that we have done like you moved to a better place for us and our girls....
Rich got a job in February so we knew roughly where we had to move to. We made some excellent friends got our visa and the rest is history!!!

But in the past few weeks we have found a home for us to move into with a pool and is really close to the schhol.

Christmas day we are spending with friends and then New Years Eve with a different set of friends to finish the year off.

Wonder what 2006 will bring??? A nice job for me perhaps, and a nice nursery for georgia. Rich's parents will be here visiting for 3 months so we all really look forward to that.

Our life is so much better here and we are so happy.

Ang
and i'm looking forward to seeng you and that house very soon
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

Been quite an emotional year really. Family issues at the beginning of the year

Then had my best friend from the UK and her family come stay for 3 weeks in February which was fantastic, made me realise how much I miss her! Gave birth to my second gorgeous girl in March so have spent a long winter at home looking after two kids with no family support. Made me very homesick for quite a few months and really wanted us to pack it all in and return to UK even though we have been her over 5 years now.

My eldest turned 3 last month and the baby is now 8 months and things are becoming much easier and I am enjoying life again, instead of just existing Got 10 :scared: rellies coming out to stay at the end of the year - should finish the year off quite nicely

So all in all can't complain, not a bad 2005
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:21 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Like a rollercoaster and we're not off yet
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

It has been a mad year for us. We had given up on moving to OZ and were moving onto plan B when Ian got offered a job here. This was followed by several months of stress will we get a visa won't we get a visa and eventually we left Belgium August this year. Our eldest fluctuated between npot coming and coming eventually deciding to give OZ a go. Due to delays in getting the visa I took the kids to Mom's in the US while Ian finished his work at the end of September. We arrived in Wangaratta at the end of October and have moved to our rental, settled the kids into school and Ian into work. It has been a busy time but well worth every second of the stress. Next year will be more of the same really while we apply for our PR and look for a house to buy while our youngest starts her kinder year and our eldest starts his VCE.
We do feel at home here even after a short time and we have been very lucky in that Ian's job is all that he hoped that it would be so the temporary route has worked well for us. An emotional rollercoaster but wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Nicky
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:07 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs up Re: How has your year been ??

Yes. glad everyone has had possitive comments. Don't you think that's the whole Aussie attitude as well though?

Repeating what most have said, had family over. Looking forward to Family coming over again From Boxing Day to April Fools Day (2 different lots of visitors with 11 days off inbetween for good behaviour).
Been accepted as an Australian Citizen. Started a job that I am really enjoying. Hubby offered Perm Job with Company he was Contracting with.

This is our home and my worries of leaving friends completely gone. Been here 2 1/2 years and I have the most wonderful set of friends who I feel like I have known for ever. Social things coming out of my ears at the moment. You find the 'real' friends you had in the UK are still in contact but a couple that have surprised me and not even emailed me since getting here.

Yep, I feel like I live in the most wonderful place in the world with a gorgeous, happy family, surrounded by lovely people.

Had another great year.

Louise x
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:19 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cas
had a couple of leaving do`s then flew 12000 miles!
2005 will get filed under not bad
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:09 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Cas....I have enjoyed so much being a part of your 2005 and watching as you guys settle and showing you one or two things about Aussie life and places. I am so glad we are friends....

Paul and my 2005 has been pretty much all upwards I have to say. We arrived back in Oz (back for me anyway) in October 2004 so by the start of 2005 we had only JUST settled. I got my dream job which I started on the 4th January. The house completed in the UK in the middle of January and then the frustrating wait for Pauls Dads estate to be finalised. We started looking at houses and luckily for us just 2 months before we expected the money from the UK we found our dream home.

Along the way we dealt with Pauls unexpected homesickness...which he has come through now and loves the life we have built here. He has found a new hobby in 4x4'ing and is really settled in his job. We go away camping regularly which Paul is loving and he is getting to see some of the spectacular scenery that Australia offers.

Right now, our life is as good as we could hope for. We have great friends, an awesome social life, jobs that although dont pay us millions allow us the social life we are enjoying. I am back close to my family and have just come home from seeing my niece and nephew preform in their school christmas concert....

Life is lovely!!

Hels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.