Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to rent with large dog

How hard is it to rent with large dog

Old Feb 5th 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to all
Default How hard is it to rent with large dog

Hi could anybody tell me how hard it is to rent in brisbane with a large dog.
Have been told it puts you at a massive disadvantage hoping to be out in next few months and dont want to make life any harder for us but dont think we could leave our deerhound behind either.
Thanks
Lorna
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:01 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How hard is it to rent with large dog

Originally Posted by Lornagoingtobrissy
Have been told it puts you at a massive disadvantage hoping to be out in next few months and dont want to make life any harder for us but dont think we could leave our deerhound behind either.
Thanks
Lorna

Gday.

Its hard, thats a fact.

We also have large dogs..

We also are at present looking for a rental...

Providing the dog is kept outside, fencing is dog proof, and registered.. you should be ok.

Heres a little trick !!!

If you see a rental you like... and have a few dollars up your sleeve !!!

Then, offer the agent, an EXTRA $500 good behaviour/no damage dog bond...

Its all bullshit, but then most of what some agents say is utter shite...

It could just sway it for you...

The agents are not the decision makers... so demand ( nicely ) that they ask the OWNER if they would be up for your extra BOND !!!

Ste
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Lornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to all

Thats for the info but not sure that our dog would live outside without screaming the house down which would create another problem. He is a rescue and did live outside before we got him 5 years ago but gone a bit soft now.

Lorna
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:33 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Thats for the info but not sure that our dog would live outside without screaming the house down which would create another problem. He is a rescue and did live outside before we got him 5 years ago but gone a bit soft now.

Lorna
Then almost definately, the answer is 99% NO !

Aussies dont have dogs in their homes !!!!

Add RENTAL to the equation your knackered.

Go privately !
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

How do most aussie's keep dogs outside kennel+ run, loose in yard or chained up. Just trying to get my head around how it will work.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:17 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

We have two rental properties and pets are negotiable but in reality if we had a choice with everything else being equal the people with the dogs would be second choice (especially a beast like a deerhound).

Thanks
Lorna
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:39 pm
Banned

How do most aussie's keep dogs outside kennel+ run, loose in yard or chained up. Just trying to get my head around how it will work.
Aussies use a thing called , Dog Proof Fencing.

About $100 / 20m for the good stuff

Some have the dog on a runner rope.

Some / Tradies take theres to work !
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

We haven't had a problem in the past renting with a dog, but I think it has got harder now. We always make it clear that our dogs will be inside only ! I was speaking with a rental agency the other day who said they ask for pet bonds and dog references now.
Where are you going ?
I think kids make more mess to be honest !!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
We managed to find a place where we can keep our dogs but they will be outside! This is quite a hard thing for me to come to terms with as my dogs have always been inside dogs, however there is no choice so fencing it is. They have a wooden shed to sleep in at night (tho you can buy sheds too) and during the day that will be fenced in the "yard". Haven't got my 2 out of quarantine yet (saturday 16.10!!!! Yay can't wait) but have a 3 month old puppy here (same breed) and she is fine with being outside!

The main thing for us is finding dog ok walks etc as most places are "no dog". I feed the RAW food that they do here so that has been easy finding chicken carcasses roos tails etc. Keeps them amused too.
Cathy
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
We have two rental properties and pets are negotiable but in reality if we had a choice with everything else being equal the people with the dogs would be second choice (especially a beast like a deerhound).
Even if you were offered 6 months rental in advance??
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I can see why landlords would prefer tenants without dogs - perhaps a nice professional non-smoking no pets or kids couple with excellent references would beat all other applicants?! But failing that a well behaved dog will not cause any problems. The issue, I guess, is that the landlord is taking a chance on whether the dog is well behaved or not.
Bad tenants would cause much more damage than a dog. Normal children would likely cause much more damage than a dog! E.g. toddlers drawing on the walls, spilling drinks, footballs through windows, etc. But it's harder to say no to children and easy to say no to dogs.

I know that I could take my lab anywhere and he would not cause damage to a property. But I can understand that a landlord does not know me or my dog and might not be willing to take the risk.

(Incidentally, are landlords allowed to say no kids?)
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:59 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melaniee
I was speaking with a rental agency the other day who said they ask for pet bonds and dog references now.
Dog references? How do they get them, from the dog's current employer, friend??

Referee: " woof, woof, woof, woof, woof...woof"
Agent: "That will do nicely..."
Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Dog references? How do they get them, from the dog's current employer, friend??

Referee: " woof, woof, woof, woof, woof...woof"
Agent: "That will do nicely..."
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Speaking with several hats on here:

From tenants point of view with dog

It is difficult and you will find it 90% easier if you allow dog to only reside outside (provide a nice warm kennel and access to the laundry only) and tell the PM's this- offer to pay a pet bond or extra rent and wax lyrical about how wonderful, calm and well behaved your pet is

From landlords point of view:

I have several properties and two of them have pets. I gave tenants written permission, on the proviso that they fumigated and cleaned the flooring upon vacation, retained the garden and ensured yard and grass was in similar state to when they moved in, and paid extra rent (in one case)
Both tenants animals are kept outside (or so they say) and I've had no problems to date. Problems so far have been with filthy human owners and tenants who don't like to pay their rent

From dog owners point of view:

I love dogs but I think respect for others property here is the key. Even if you believe there's no smell with an inside animal, think again! As soon as I open a front door, I can tell if a dog's been inside the house, as can every other person (including PM's) so do the right thing and either restrict their boundaries (pets that is, not PM's!!! ) or keep them sheltered outside. Australia is different to the UK, in that our average temp is so much warmer. My dakkie lives outside and has done since we got him, with no problems and he rejected his kennel outright, choosing to brave the elements (mind you it doesn't get too cold here in Sydney) and bunk down in his basket on the verandah instead.

Best of luck locating a home
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:33 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Lorna
Its was not a problem with our Doberman and it was a brand new property. No, he certainly doesnt live outside.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.