Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to be a Happy POM in Aus!!

Wikiposts

How to be a Happy POM in Aus!!

Old Feb 11th 2006, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to be a Happy POM in Aus!!

Originally Posted by Sydney The Dog
Always remember no one asked you to come here!!!!

Never start a sentance back home we did it this way!!!

You are here now so except it and get on with it!!!

No one gives a flying F~+* how it used to be back HOME!!!

It wasn't that good anyway otherwise you wouldn't have moved in the first place!!!

Don't try to uplift your life and do the same things here!!!

Try new things and give everything a fair go, you never know you might enjoy it!! Have a can do attitude here and life will be BLOODY GREAT!!

It's HOME and i love it.

You missed another really important one................................

claim you're Scottish, not a pom - everyone loves you then!!!!

(have to go now, the real POM in the house is calling)
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:11 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenandPam
You missed another really important one................................

claim you're Scottish, not a pom - everyone loves you then!!!!

(have to go now, the real POM in the house is calling)
But can he walk yet
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:13 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Just as well as you have.
I don't have to fit in, I'm an aussie. One of the ones you are insulting, remember? .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 11th 2006 at 7:16 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 7:17 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
Just trying to help the local industry. From what people tell me they would rather not be able to spell than live in South Australia
Thats co,s most goof adders [queerslanders ] could.nt find sth Australia on a map "we like it like that".............. mm
Old Feb 11th 2006, 8:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: How to be a Happy POM in Aus!!

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Do not walk around coles looking for tetley, persil and gravox.
Why not?

You can get Tetley and Gravox in Coles. Not sure about Persil, though.
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:03 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cranni
I agree with most of this.
Dont complain about their country if someone did that to us, we would tell them to p off.
This is home and its a great life for us also, but i do find my Aussie friends like to hear how we would do something back home.Denise
I can't agree.

I think most folk in the UK would be big enough to take criticism from foreigners on its merits. If I was told the weather in the UK was awful it would take me -oh, a couple of nanosecs to agree! Just because someone criticises doesn't mean they are doing it for the hell of it or that they are whingers.

There's n awful lot wrong with the UK and there's an awful lot wrong with Australian ways of doing things. Ignoring criticism in each case often means nothing can get done to improve things.

That's my opinion, anyway!
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mr mover
Thats co,s most goof adders [queerslanders ] could.nt find sth Australia on a map "we like it like that".............. mm
Are they not called banana benders anymore ?
Old Feb 11th 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wol
I can't agree.

I think most folk in the UK would be big enough to take criticism from foreigners on its merits. If I was told the weather in the UK was awful it would take me -oh, a couple of nanosecs to agree! Just because someone criticises doesn't mean they are doing it for the hell of it or that they are whingers.

There's n awful lot wrong with the UK and there's an awful lot wrong with Australian ways of doing things. Ignoring criticism in each case often means nothing can get done to improve things.

Believe me it does work both ways. When we went to the UK 13 years ago and would say how things were done "back home" we encountered blank faces and people just didn't want to know.....

Now back here and the same..........shame really as time is standing still in many respects and in both countries!
Old Feb 12th 2006, 12:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I don't have to fit in, I'm an aussie. One of the ones you are insulting, remember? .
That explains a lot then. I fit in here just fine but will never be an Aussie. I live here on my terms & don't conform to what's 'expected' of me by wannabe Aussies. Life's great. It's all good.
Old Feb 12th 2006, 9:15 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I fit in here just fine but will never be an Aussie.
As an aussie (not a wannabe one) you don't have to worry, with an attitude like yours we wouldn't want you as one anyway, so you're right, it's all good .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Feb 12th 2006 at 9:21 am.
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lel_smiff

These are all good points, but while i'm at work they're often asking me about what I used to do, and what I used to eat, brandnames etc back home, so I find I do talk about home a bit.. but that's only really because they ask.

One funny conversation that lasted a half day was about Cadbury's. I declined an offer of cadbury's dairy milk because i just don't really like it, and one of my colleagues (jokingly) accused me of being snobbish and not wanting to eat Aussie brands... I couldn't let that one go... Every person bar one thought that Australia were the founders of cadbury's chocolate and were telling me I was wrong. They only started to agree with me when another aussie said they'd been to the cadbury's factory in Bournville and that I was right, I showed some of them the cadbury's website too that shows he settled in Bournville first.

I guess the above is a situation you should avoid when trying NOT to be called a bloody Pom!
As proof that they are still trying to tell us its an Aussie brand - opened some tonight (not for me mind - the kids) and couldn't help but notice on rear of packet "Made in Australia - Exporting to the World".
Old Feb 18th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by OzSheila
As proof that they are still trying to tell us its an Aussie brand - opened some tonight (not for me mind - the kids) and couldn't help but notice on rear of packet "Made in Australia - Exporting to the World".
You will also find that they have factory's in Argentina as well.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:22 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: How to be a Happy POM in Aus!!

Originally Posted by OzSheila
"Made in Australia" does not equate to "Australian company", so they're not trying to tell you that it's an Aussie brand at all.

It says "Made in Australia" because it is made in Australia. There's a thumping gurt big Cadbury's factory in Tasmania that churns the stuff out like nobody's business. Brits seems to be totally ignorant of this fact, for some strange reason.

Yes, it's a British company; no dispute there. But Cadbury's chocolate in Australia is made in Australia by a local branch of the company.
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:24 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karenjc
You will also find that they have factory's in Argentina as well.
I always wondered where Oompah Loompah land was