Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A little advise for tradesmen

A little advise for tradesmen

Old Feb 19th 2006, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice
Default A little advise for tradesmen

This may have already been covered somewhere on here before, but I thought I would mention it, it would have helped me if I knew about it, and our agents had told us!

Basically the advise is this;

When you apply to the TRA for your trade recognition you have to send off references, qualifications and a truck load of other stuff, all have to be certified, which all costs money.

Get doubles done on everything that you send off, you won't get the certified copies back.

When you get to Auz you will be required to apply for a licence to work in your trade and sit an assessment, understandable, their country their rules and the Australian tradesmen have to do the same. However before you can do this you will need an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, this is gained through the TRA and is pretty much the same process as the pre-migration assessment that you have to pass to get here in the 1st place.

The thing is now TRA already have all the information they need, albeit in another dept, but you will be required to apply to another dept all over again using the same docs, and getting relieved of $300 for your effort.

We understand why we need to do it, but like everyone we hate paperwork especially doing it twice. It would have been easy in the UK, I had a mate who was a solicitor, the copies wouldn't have cost us anything.

Thats it really, I hope it helps, if anyone has had a different experience I would love to hear how to get around it.

T
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:08 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A little advise for tradesmen

Originally Posted by terrym
This may have already been covered somewhere on here before, but I thought I would mention it, it would have helped me if I knew about it, and our agents had told us!

When you apply to the TRA for your trade recognition you have to send off references, qualifications and a truck load of other stuff, all have to be certified, which all costs money.

Get doubles done on everything that you send off, you won't get the certified copies back.

When you get to Auz you will be required to apply for a licence to work in your trade and sit an assessment, understandable, their country their rules and the Australian tradesmen have to do the same. However before you can do this you will need an Australian Recognised Trade Certificate, this is gained through the TRA and is pretty much the same process as the pre-migration assessment that you have to pass to get here in the 1st place.

The thing is now TRA already have all the information they need, albeit in another dept, but you will be required to apply to another dept all over again using the same docs, and getting relieved of $300 for your effort.

We understand why we need to do it, but like everyone we hate paperwork especially doing it twice. It would have been easy in the UK, I had a mate who was a solicitor, the copies wouldn't have cost us anything.

Thats it really, I hope it helps, if anyone has had a different experience I would love to hear how to get around it.

T
Hi TerryM

Iv`e not yet applied for mine as i`m still in the uk but as i understand it
the TRA do re-use all your migration application for the certificate
see note one on the attached TRA cerrtificate guidline

best regards steve
Attached Files
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:11 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
Hi TerryM

Iv`e not yet applied for mine as i`m still in the uk but as i understand it
the TRA do re-use all your migration application for the certificate
see note one on the attached TRA cerrtificate guidline

best regards steve

ps your advise on getting another set of docs is sound
i will be taking over at least one additional set of certified docs
at some time or other they will come in usefull
applyingfor a job, to the safety office etc

regards steve
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

terrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really niceterrym is just really nice

Nice one, Cheers Steve,

I've sent the TRA an e-mail to confirm already but had no reply, they take around 3 or 4 days to get back to you.

Keep in touch, i'll let you kow how it turns out.

T
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:20 am
Worongary

Nice one, Cheers Steve,

I've sent the TRA an e-mail to confirm already but had no reply, they take around 3 or 4 days to get back to you.

Keep in touch, i'll let you kow how it turns out.

T
what trade are you in terry ?
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
what trade are you in terry ?
Electrician, although have a few things to my bow

T
Old Feb 19th 2006, 7:37 am
Worongary

Electrician, although have a few things to my bow

T
arhh ditto mate
please keep me informed as to how it goes

so how long have you been in oz ??
have you approached any electrical contracting companies yet?
and if so how where you received ?
ie did they give you advice on the licence or did they just tell you come back when youv`e sorted it etc

so many questions, hope you don`t mind
regards steve
Old Feb 19th 2006, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking the time to write this Terry.

Hubby is also an Electrician so it's handy to know.

Our agent sent us three copies of everything we sent in and she certified them all for us. Now I know why
Old Feb 19th 2006, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

kate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant futurekate&mike has a brilliant future

hi TerryM

Thanks for the advise, ill email migration agent right away to get more certified copies done

mike
Old Feb 19th 2006, 12:25 pm
kch
Forum Regular

kch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of lightkch is a glorious beacon of light

T

Excellent, thanks for the advice.