Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how to handle new country plus new relationship???

Wikiposts

how to handle new country plus new relationship???

Old Sep 7th 2004, 1:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to handle new country plus new relationship???

One important thing - remember how to laugh together! Can fix a million disagreements, can relax you and make you feel more at home instead of feeling wound up, annoyed and alone; we have got to the stage now where when I mention some of the petty things that annoy me here - The Bloke laughs at them as well, he is starting to be able to see things from my side, as an outsider. Cures many a depression, being able to share a joke.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: how to handle new country plus new relationship???

thanks to you all! the good thing about this forum is the different time zones we're in...i go to bed feeling all shitty and depressed and lonely and put a quick post on the forum and when i wake up in the morning - hey presto! - there are people on the other end of the world that have made an effort to think with me and make me feel a bit more confident about my decision! great!

it was just one of those nights, i'm sure we all have 'em - the ones where the light at the end of the tunnel just seems a bit far away.

your replies have made a lot of sense - i'll have to make sure that i get friends of my own, hobbies of my own, basically as much of a life of my own as is possible in a relationship - but reading about the 'perth ladies' makes me feel that this'll somehow work out...i've been practising with those poles, so be prepared....

polly, i totally agree with you on laughing together being one of the essentials - i remember when 'the man' was here that he was sometimes so very frustrated at not being able to understand any dutch - not what was said on the radio, not being able to read street-signs, listening to my friends speaking 'gooblediegook' to me and each other, or, even more frustrating, trying to speak english to him in a most confusing manner - in the end we always found something to laugh about - never went to sleep feeling shitty with each other or the situation.

and hey - WE LOVE EACH OTHER!!! - and, call me romantic, but i believe that as long as the love's there, we'll find a way to work things out in a way that will feel good to both of us...

well, thanks again all of you, the light at the end is a bit brighter again!

tanja

think i'l give miss baileys a try tonight....