Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How green is your lifestyle in Australia?

How green is your lifestyle in Australia?

Old Feb 18th 2009, 2:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How green is your lifestyle in Australia?

From same source Plasma 106cm uses 300W, so perhaps only 6x CRT, not the 17x I stated.

As far as energy efficciency goes, insulation in houses gets geenrally the most bang for the buck reducing both heating and cooling needs.

In Australia, SA is the best state for wind energy and that's why most of it is there. QLD and NT have very low wind resource and not sufficient for commercial wind energy development on any real scale.

Solar, in particualr concentrating solar thermal, has a reasonable chance of commercial development. Geothermal resources in Austrlaia are good but as yet unproven. Unfortunately most sources are distant from poulation centres so there is a massive expense in transmission lines and power losses; solar faces similar hurdles.

Originally Posted by carlap

I think the OP had some useful points. Oz is environmentally in a very precarious position, yet they have the option to use natural energy. Solar power is only catching on because of grants, its always windy. Hardly any insulation in the houses (for hot and cold temps). She'll be alright seems to be the very real and naive attitude
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:07 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Solar, in particualr concentrating solar thermal, has a reasonable chance of commercial development.
Solar energy has absolutely zero chance of commericial development in Qld. The state government has a coal, coal, coal philosophy based purely on economic factors (an inability to make difficult decisions) and likes to hide behind the idea that 'clean coal' might one day be an option as a barrier to change.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Solar energy has absolutely zero chance of commericial development in Qld.
December 14, 2008

SOLAR energy is powering a small outback town in south-west Queensland.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Queensland Premier Anna Bligh on Sunday witnessed the emissions-free energy production at Australia's newest solar farm at Windorah - a Queensland first.

The $4.5 million farm's five solar dishes can create enough energy to the local grid to power about 60 homes and businesses.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5-2702,00.html

Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:14 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I have loads of trees in the Garden which I use to offset my carbon
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:15 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Just think how much solar power could have been created with that 47 Billion the government has just put in the pokies (indirectly)

Originally Posted by bcworld
Solar energy has absolutely zero chance of commericial development in Qld. The state government has a coal, coal, coal philosophy based purely on economic factors (an inability to make difficult decisions) and likes to hide behind the idea that 'clean coal' might one day be an option as a barrier to change.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
December 14, 2008

SOLAR energy is powering a small outback town in south-west Queensland.

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Queensland Premier Anna Bligh on Sunday witnessed the emissions-free energy production at Australia's newest solar farm at Windorah - a Queensland first.

The $4.5 million farm's five solar dishes can create enough energy to the local grid to power about 60 homes and businesses.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5-2702,00.html
$4.5m and 5 solar dishes sounds like an experiment to me......I'm surprised that a larger solar farm doesn't already exist in Qld, despite what I said in the previous post.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by themerlin
Just think how much solar power could have been created with that 47 Billion the government has just put in the pokies (indirectly)
Enough for 626,000 homes and business..

Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

We work really hard at saving water (most times the kids shower together hee hee) and we have tanks, we have cut back to 1 car, and we have solar heating for the house and pool. Husband uses public transport everyday now. I never use the tumble dryer , and do the washing on a low heat setting where poss. And i have got paranoid about turning the lights off. Nothing is left on standby. God i sound like a prat but hey ho
Old Feb 18th 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyt
We work really hard at saving water (most times the kids shower together hee hee) and we have tanks, we have cut back to 1 car, and we have solar heating for the house and pool. Husband uses public transport everyday now. I never use the tumble dryer , and do the washing on a low heat setting where poss. And i have got paranoid about turning the lights off. Nothing is left on standby. God i sound like a prat but hey ho
Scared of the dark?
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:01 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I fold rather than scrunch my bog paper ...

More sweeps for your buck & eco friendly to boot.

Do others share habitual toilet manners ... ?

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I guess all of us have massive long haul footprints and some of us make that journey more often than we'd like (bloody family marrying and so on), but I was determined when we moved over here from NZ (where we were very skint indeed) to be a bit more environmentally conscious. Now, I'm *never* going to be someone who shuns washing, goes without a car, stops using loo paper (honestly, some do- washable wipes ) etc but I have made a few commitments and I've been pleasantly surprised by a few things here in Australia. I only buy eco soaps, shampoo, cleaners and washing liquids, recycled loo roll etc. These are actually cheaper here in Oz than main brands and are top quality!!! You can also buy them from Coles, Woolworths etc so no traipsing to a health store in the middle of nowhere. We use a lovely shampoo and conditioner that are easily as nice for my hair as pantene was and they cost $3.80 a bottle- and even the bottle is made form plants. They are called organic something or other, on the bottom shelf and do a 'normal', 'for coloured hair' etc range. The clothes washing liquid and fabric softener is so cheap!

We're also trying really hard to adapt to one car and we've chosen to forgo getting a beast-like 4WD, given most our driving is within the city. We live in a smaller house in a beach suburb (which I rent from my mother), which was an eco choice on her part that we're benefiting from as the compromise is a smaller house but it's cool and we've used the air con just one day. I always line dry or use racks- can't see the point in a tumble dryer, just can't get my head around it given we're in a very hot climate.

I'd like to remember to take the cloth shopping bags with me when I shop and get a garden composter as although the waste is sorted into recycling and rubbish, I reckon half of our rubbish could be composted. I use a front loader machine with low water consumption but when it's hot I do shower twice a day and don't intend to stop doing that, although it's not a power shower.

Does the fragility of the eco-system of Australia concern you? Do we have a responsibility as migrants to lessen our footprint on Australia?

Last edited by Three Legs; Feb 18th 2009 at 4:04 am. Reason: Poor grammar ... tut tut
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:03 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I have loads of beer in my fridge which I use to offset my stress

Originally Posted by themerlin
I have loads of trees in the Garden which I use to offset my carbon
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spartacus
Scared of the dark?
haha no no no my friend about having them off
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I have loads of beer in my fridge which I use to offset my stress
ooh wines i find helps
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:53 am

And if you make it red you don't even have to use carbon to keep it cool, and I'm sure the vines sucked up some carbon as well

Ah my wife is always trying to get me to loose my gut, but now I can tell her it's storing carbon.

Originally Posted by suzyt
ooh wines i find helps
Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ah ha thats what i have been doing too iam greener than i thought store store away .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.