Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Wikiposts

How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Originally Posted by baldbutts
Congratulations,you've passed the theory exams.But you had to ring up after a couple of days,although they don't encourage it,as they take forever to let you know by post.
Now onto the practical.
Take your Regs book,pen and calculator.They supply all tools and meters,but you can take your own along if you prefer.They also give you a book to show any written work undertaken.It's not hard hat/boots,but try to look the part,I'm sure it influences the examiner.
There are 6 tasks and you have 4 hours to complete.This is a bit trickier than the written,as you are tight for time.
I'll put the tasks in the order I did them,as you have a choice as long as everyone doesn't choose the same ones first.

Make off 14" of pyro OR terminate a 10A 240V industrial socket.

Right.The task should be to make off the pyro,BUT,due to expense and lack of materials in WA,they give the much easier task of making off the socket.Just in case they change back,take a small pot of vasoline,as I've been told the pyro tools supplied are a bugger to start off.
The cable supplied is 2.5mm 3 core heavy duty flex,with stuffing glands.Nothing tricky here,but make sure you choose the 16 amp breaker,not the 10 or 20.Remember,you're protecting the cable,not the rating of the outlet.
I suggest you choose this task first,as it's quick and easy,and calms you down.If it's pyro,maybe swap it to 2nd.

Test 2 irons.

Theres about 8 irons,so I can only comment on the 2 given to me.Check for cord damage,missing screws,cracks,dials not turning correctly,missing labels on the dials etc etc.Calculate the resistance using Ohms law and P over V x I,then measure it to make sure the reading is near enough.Some irons ,I'm told,have a resistor put in to give false readings.
Test insulation resistance.IMPORTANT.I got a reading of 0.05 M ohm on one,BUT according to Reg 6.3.3.3.3 (a) page 165,the minimum value for a sheathed heating element or appliance is 0.01 M ohm.So it complies-just.
You don't have to dismantle the plug or iron.
Make sure you write everything you do (including the regs ),and the irons details in the sheets provided.

Wire a 2 way and intermediate lighting circuit,and double socket outlet.

You are given a safety tag at the beginning,so make sure you tie it to the incoming mains (a flex on a plug) before starting,or you'll fail.
Link from the main switch with 4mm (honest ,crazy but it's true) singles to the RCD,and from the incoming of the rcd to the 10 A MCB.Then link from the outgoing side of the RCD to the 16 A MCB.Don't link from the neutral bar to the earth (MEN link),or it'll trip when energised.
The socket is wired via the RCD using 2.5 T&E ,but the earth comes pre-sleeved.
You'll have to bell out the switch terminals,as nothing is labelled,and use the spare terminal in the batten holder for any common connections.
When the examiner livens the board,don't worry if the intermediate switch is wrong,he'll let you do it again until it's correct (Don't forget the safety tag).

Volt drop

On a bench is a heating element with an ammeter to show current drawn.
Measure the voltage at incoming and load,and using the regs (i.e volt drop not to excede 5% of incoming voltage) determine whether this complies.
Chances are it won't,or this would be a right quick 'un.
Tell the geezer,and he'll then give you a copy of tables (which I can't remember exactly what they're called-doesn't matter though ).You'll also have a list telling you what factors apply,and in what order to use them,and the pages they can be found.So i'ts not as daunting as it all seems.
You then have to show on your sheet which is the smallest c.s.a of cable which would comply.Luckily,it should be the next one up (1.5mm),so you only have to do the problem once.
Don't forget the formula which you put in your regs
VD=mV/A/m x current x length over 1000

Connect a direct on-line motor with 2 remote start/stop buttons.

I came a bit unstuck on this one,but I still passed,so do yer best !
Tag on the supply!
It's all plug in leads here,so that bit's easy.Phase colours are RED/WHITE/BLUE (very patriotic).You have to connect through a contactor to the motor.The coil is supplied via the start/stop buttons,overload protection terminals and an auxilary coil.I believe the terminals for the overload will be 95 and 96.
I did o.k at first,I had one start button wired incorrectly.But when I tried to rectify it,I made it worse,and ended up walking away hopefully returning to it .I run out of time in the end,so should have just left it as it was.Still,I passed,so I must have done enough.Of course on-site,you'd not be under pressure,so I'm sure they take that into consideration when marking it.
Least said about this one the better.

Test a domestic installation.

I left this one till last,as you could spend ages here and come a cropper for time on the other tasks.
Safety Tag on !
There's no live testing on this one.Again,it's all plug in leads at the destination,but the CU is hard wired.Write everything in full,even if it seems obvious or petty.
Faults are introduced by the examiner throwing switches,so you may find different results to me.
Insulation resistance gave a fault on the lighting circuit.There was 2 RCD's-1 for power 1 for lighting.
Youre given plug in outlets to make testing of fittings easier.
I also found reverse polarity on a socket,incorrect wiring of strappers on the intermediate lighting circuit,and the Insulation resistance fault was between a switch and fitting in one of the bedrooms.
If you leave this till last,you can just plod on until they call time.

So there it is.Feel free to add to this when you've done it.
Best of luck to you all,it is nerve wracking,but once you do it you wonder what all the fuss was about.
They tell you not to call them for your results,but I rang after 3 days saying I had a job offer subject to passing,and wondered when I'd hear anything.She put me on hold for ages,then told me my result ! Glad I did,as it took nearly to weeks to get it in writing.
Finally,send off,or apply in person for your registration card.A bargain at $250 !!!!!
They make it there and then if you call in.

BB-spark extraordinaire (just don't let me near any star/delta motors).
Great stuff, thanks for this info.

Hubby is a self employed electrician here in the UK and needs all the info he can get! We're still deciding on Perth or Brisbane tho - any ideas which would have the best chance of employment for him?

Cheers!
Kari
Old Feb 18th 2005, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get your Electrical Licence in WA (warning:little/no humour in this one)

Originally Posted by TheColebecks
Great stuff, thanks for this info.

Hubby is a self employed electrician here in the UK and needs all the info he can get! We're still deciding on Perth or Brisbane tho - any ideas which would have the best chance of employment for him?

Cheers!
Kari
Both are still going very strong housewise, have read on here some tradesmen can earn double in QLD tho, being a builder can confirm rates in QLD are still sky high but would be slightly skeptical double was an accurate figure tho.

Perths got very hot summers and cold wet winters, QLD gets hot summers, but the rest of the year is good, even winter mid 20's most of the time, and we dont get the flies that plague perth. Brisbane is simply just one hell of a lot closer/cheaper flights etc to so much more stuff, after a year or so I imagine that for most could become very important.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 9:01 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Both are still going very strong housewise, have read on here some tradesmen can earn double in QLD tho, being a builder can confirm rates in QLD are still sky high but would be slightly skeptical double was an accurate figure tho.

Perths got very hot summers and cold wet winters, QLD gets hot summers, but the rest of the year is good, even winter mid 20's most of the time, and we dont get the flies that plague perth. Brisbane is simply just one hell of a lot closer/cheaper flights etc to so much more stuff, after a year or so I imagine that for most could become very important.

Errrrrr Cold and wet in Perth.... when? yes it is true than during our coldest winter day it will be about 16 degrees, but thats the coldest day. Wet??? we wish.

What about Brisbanes humidity, that can be very draining.

Flies can be a pain.

Yes Perth is the most isolated city in the world. I love it that way.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

fantastic post, been unsuccessfully trying to glean this info. for ages!

just one question though, once you have the licence do you have to periodically renew it? or is it a case of once you're in, you're in?

Cheers mate, best regards,

Jamie
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

baggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant futurebaggie has a brilliant future

thx for that top post bb hopefully one day i will bump into you in wa and shake your hand in person..
Old Jan 11th 2006, 3:46 am
Just Joined

jackie_ian2005@bigpond.co is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bussie
from start to finish it has taken me 6 1/2 months to get my electrical mechanic/fitters licence

i see now the office of energy have changed there application forms to make things easier which will help alot of people out

if any one wants any info on the electrical fitter exam practical or short theory then drop me an email
i know its been along time since you posted this but i was just wondering if you could still give me some info on the electrical fitter exam both theory and practical any help would be very grateful
Old Jan 11th 2006, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Absolutely fantatic thread and very informative for hubby. Hope someone can say if there are many changes since the original posting.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

goodolecopes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bussie
from start to finish it has taken me 6 1/2 months to get my electrical mechanic/fitters licence

i see now the office of energy have changed there application forms to make things easier which will help alot of people out

if any one wants any info on the electrical fitter exam practical or short theory then drop me an email
hi pal it would be much appreciated if you could drop me any info you have on the electrical fitter exams, as i will have to get this sorted as soon as.
thanks a lot ian
Old Dec 27th 2006, 7:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is really old, could I forward anyone interested in Electricians licences to this forum
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
This thread is really old, could I forward anyone interested in Electricians licences to this forum
I'll close it Wendy - I'm guessing that a lot of the info could now be out of date?

Freaks me every time it gets resurrected too, as I keep thinking Baldbutts is back!!