British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   How to get rid of soap scum... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/how-get-rid-soap-scum-680759/)

dave_wong Aug 11th 2010 3:44 pm

How to get rid of soap scum...

I used to clean the floor of the shower area with CIF and scrub it with a brush. Now the edges of the tiles on the floor have white residual on it and some tiles even have water marks (these are only visible when the floor is dry) . I have tried, without success, using mould killer and sugar soap to get rid of the white markings at the edges of the tiles and water marks. What other things can I use to clean up these markings??

SDDep Aug 11th 2010 3:47 pm

Re: How to get rid of soap scum...

Originally Posted by dave_wong (Post 8769516)
I used to clean the floor of the shower area with CIF and scrub it with a brush. Now the edges of the tiles on the floor have white residual on it and some tiles even have water marks (these are only visible when the floor is dry) . I have tried, without success, using mould killer and sugar soap to get rid of the white markings at the edges of the tiles and water marks. What other things can I use to clean up these markings??

Your wife?

thewattsinoz Aug 11th 2010 4:00 pm

new tiles ?

Dreamy Aug 11th 2010 9:11 pm

After years of careful observation, the main ways of getting rid of soap scum seem to be writing a major disaster into the plot - plane crashes, car crashes, exploding bombs and viaduct collapses etc.

It usually seems to be tied to a new producer.

Hope this helps :)

Dorothy Aug 11th 2010 10:34 pm

Easy Off Bam. Spray it on and leave it for a few minutes then rinse with the shower.

Your house is new, so you shouldn't have any of that yet.

dave_wong Aug 11th 2010 10:39 pm

House is 1 year old. I suspect it was the CIF(JIF??) that I used to clean the tiles that cause the problem. Is Easy Off Bam stronger then Sugar Soap and Mould Killer??

BadgeIsBack Aug 12th 2010 2:30 am

It's a serious setback. It's why I don't buy new houses only for the newness to rub off.

Give me an old house where someone has already aged it!

I don't mind clean tiles, has to be said.

northernbird Aug 12th 2010 4:15 am

Bicarb of Soda and white vinegar. Sprinkle the bicarb on and the pour the vinegar on. It will fizz and should take off the marks.

eddie007 Aug 12th 2010 7:15 am

there are companies that clean tiles for you... but if they are less than 1 year old it shouldn't be necesssary:thumbdown:

xzibit Aug 12th 2010 8:10 am

Cillit Bang

tawkins1 Aug 13th 2010 1:50 pm

My tiles are exactly the same. they are chocolate brown but have white markings on them like they have been bleached (they havent) our house is less than a year old too :thumbdown: We are renting too so hope they dont say anything when we move out :ohmy: