Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get rid of soap scum...

How to get rid of soap scum...

Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough
Default How to get rid of soap scum...

I used to clean the floor of the shower area with CIF and scrub it with a brush. Now the edges of the tiles on the floor have white residual on it and some tiles even have water marks (these are only visible when the floor is dry) . I have tried, without success, using mould killer and sugar soap to get rid of the white markings at the edges of the tiles and water marks. What other things can I use to clean up these markings??
Old Aug 11th 2010, 3:47 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get rid of soap scum...

Originally Posted by dave_wong
I used to clean the floor of the shower area with CIF and scrub it with a brush. Now the edges of the tiles on the floor have white residual on it and some tiles even have water marks (these are only visible when the floor is dry) . I have tried, without success, using mould killer and sugar soap to get rid of the white markings at the edges of the tiles and water marks. What other things can I use to clean up these markings??
Your wife?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

thewattsinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: How to get rid of soap scum...

new tiles ?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 9:11 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

After years of careful observation, the main ways of getting rid of soap scum seem to be writing a major disaster into the plot - plane crashes, car crashes, exploding bombs and viaduct collapses etc.

It usually seems to be tied to a new producer.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:34 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Easy Off Bam. Spray it on and leave it for a few minutes then rinse with the shower.

Your house is new, so you shouldn't have any of that yet.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

dave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the roughdave_wong is a jewel in the rough

House is 1 year old. I suspect it was the CIF(JIF??) that I used to clean the tiles that cause the problem. Is Easy Off Bam stronger then Sugar Soap and Mould Killer??
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It's a serious setback. It's why I don't buy new houses only for the newness to rub off.

Give me an old house where someone has already aged it!

I don't mind clean tiles, has to be said.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 4:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Bicarb of Soda and white vinegar. Sprinkle the bicarb on and the pour the vinegar on. It will fizz and should take off the marks.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

there are companies that clean tiles for you... but if they are less than 1 year old it shouldn't be necesssary
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Cillit Bang
Old Aug 13th 2010, 1:50 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

My tiles are exactly the same. they are chocolate brown but have white markings on them like they have been bleached (they havent) our house is less than a year old too We are renting too so hope they dont say anything when we move out