Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get a mortgage in Brisbane!

How to get a mortgage in Brisbane!

Old Jun 26th 2004, 2:46 am
Just Joined

DesignerDiary is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get a mortgage in Brisbane!

Hi Everyone.

I thought I would pass on some info as I have just been through the mill trying to buy a house with my partner.

I migrated over to Australia in December 2003 (I am English) and my partner is Australian. I have a defacto visa sub class 309.

I was initially told that I would not be able to apply for a mortgage, but after asking the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB) and the Immigration Dept, I was told I could. However I was warned that nearly all banks were refusing mortgages to people in our situation.

Just to let you know, couples in my situation on the same visa do not need FIRB approval if they purchase a house as joint tenants. (See their website for details).

Anyway to cut a very long and stressful story short, we were told by a lot of people that it was not going to be possible to get a mortgage together.

That's when we met Bruce Johnson who works for Wizard Loans in Brisbane. One chat and he was around to see us and now we are moving into our first house on thursday.

I just wanted to let anyone in Brisbane know, that if you are struggling to find a mortgage or don't know if you might be able to get one, give Bruce a call. He really is an expert and I would recommend him to anyone. I know everyone's individual situation is different, but we were so close to calling it quits and thinking we could never get a house together until after the first 2 years of the visa was up. It really was amazing to find someone who knew exactly how to get us a mortgage. (A proper mortgage too, not a low-doc one).

Anyway, if you are currently thinking about or looking for a mortgage give him a call - and let him know that Michael told you to try him out! He deserves to know that I am recommending him.

Bruce Johnson - 07 3202 4633

And also if you want anymore info on the processes that we had to go through, please drop me a line. Always happy to help others!

And good luck. Can't wait to start painting our feature walls next week!

Michael
Old Jun 26th 2004, 2:51 am
ABCDiamond

Did they suggest HSBC by any chance ?

Old Jun 26th 2004, 7:47 am
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Michael,
Congratulations on the purchase of your house. Happy moving once again.
Very useful info, ta for that.
Regards
Sarah
Old Jun 26th 2004, 10:57 am
Just Joined

DesignerDiary is an unknown quantity at this point

No they didn't mention HSBC. Due to the complexity of the visas etc, they knew the best ones to approach. The longer I can avoid having to use HSBC again the better!!