Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to get money to Aus after leaving UK

How to get money to Aus after leaving UK

Old Nov 21st 2003, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation How to get money to Aus after leaving UK

I was wondering has anybody left any money behind in the UK to bring over at a later date , say six months.

How do you acheive this from Aus. Getting access to your money in UK building socities from abroad ?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:02 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: How to get money to Aus after leaving UK

Originally posted by PeterAndSue
I was wondering has anybody left any money behind in the UK to bring over at a later date , say six months.

How do you acheive this from Aus. Getting access to your money in UK building socities from abroad ?
If your building society has an atm card with Cirrus or Maestro, you can use it at an atm in oz. There will be a hefty fee for each transaction though, normally of between £1.50 and £3.

You can get your bank to send you an Australian dollar bank draft once your over there if you like, or with some banks, you can simply transfer via the internet.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Really I was thinking about money left in savings account's with no cards attached.
Can building societies send drafts over from the UK,
what sort of authorization will they need.

I think I will need to make a visit and see what contradictions they tell me.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:14 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Really I was thinking about money left in savings account's with no cards attached.
Can building societies send drafts over from the UK,
what sort of authorization will they need.

I think I will need to make a visit and see what contradictions they tell me.
Yes they will give you the most? accurate answer.

My bank, first direct can send me my savings to aus either by phone authorisation, or through the web. They can do it by either a draft in the post, or electronically. Would have thought your building society could organise somthing similar....
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Pete,

What's your Story ?
Are going,going or gone ?
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:18 pm
A Male Member

Thanks Pete,

What's your Story ?
Are going,going or gone ?
Married an aussie....and im going, going, going next sunday at 10pm

Been before for 8 months about 2 years ago. This time, althogh we are keeping our options very open, it will probably be a bit more permanent.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

Well Pete ,
Good luck you probably know more of what your letting yourself in for than me.
Old Nov 21st 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get money to Aus after leaving UK

We have our accounts in the UK with First Direct. When we want to transfer money all it takes is a phone call.

Of course there is the alternatively of sucking it out thru the hole in the wall.