Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How far will the Aussie $ go???

How far will the Aussie $ go???

Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How far will the Aussie $ go???

Just noticed that the Aus $ interbank rate is around 2.43 to the £,and some economists are predicting it will rise against the US $ to around 78c by next year.

Anyone got any ideas as to what would cause a reversal???
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:20 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How far will the Aussie $ go???

Originally posted by Rosy
Just noticed that the Aus $ interbank rate is around 2.43 to the £,and some economists are predicting it will rise against the US $ to around 78c by next year.

Anyone got any ideas as to what would cause a reversal???
If it reaches 78c US then expect the old rate of 2-1 in pounds , the higher interest rates in Australia are attracting the money market .
The UK could be lowering the rate again soon so watch the rubber dollar climb again.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by pommie bastard
If it reaches 78c US then expect the old rate of 2-1 in pounds , the higher interest rates in Australia are attracting the money market .
The UK could be lowering the rate again soon so watch the rubber dollar climb again.

Any news on if/why/when the UK will lower its rates then PB?
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:25 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I can afford a few new neurons when I get to Florida? Maybe some new hair? Maybe some new whiter teeth? Go dollar go...I'll feel like a new man.
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Florida_03
Maybe I can afford a few new neurons when I get to Florida? Maybe some new hair? Maybe some new whiter teeth? Go dollar go...I'll feel like a new man.
If it goes to 2:1 I`ll feel like a new woman... could be interesting....
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:27 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Any news on if/why/when the UK will lower its rates then PB?
The UK will follow the USA which now has 1% rates , the housing market is slowing and it needs to kick start the other area's of the economy.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:29 am
Banned

Now thats a thought most men could wish to grab hold of.

Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

The UK will follow the USA which now has 1% rates , the housing market is slowing and it needs to kick start the other area's of the economy.

Probably true - anyone know what the news is on the UK economy at the moment???
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:33 am
Not here

So you're still going back to the UK?
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Florida_03
So you're still going back to the UK?
Yep...
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:36 am
Banned

Probably true - anyone know what the news is on the UK economy at the moment???

Mervyn King, the new governor of the Bank of England, faces strong pressure from business and unions to administer a confidence-boosting cut in borrowing costs when he chairs his first meeting of the rate-setting monetary policy committee later this week.
CBI director general Digby Jones warns today that businesses are becoming "increasingly impatient" for a cut, as they wait for recovery to take hold.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/s...992806,00.html
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mervyn King, the new governor of the Bank of England, faces strong pressure from business and unions to administer a confidence-boosting cut in borrowing costs when he chairs his first meeting of the rate-setting monetary policy committee later this week.
CBI director general Digby Jones warns today that businesses are becoming "increasingly impatient" for a cut, as they wait for recovery to take hold.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/s...992806,00.html
Ta very much PB - when`s your settlement date???
Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:42 am
Banned

Ta very much PB - when`s your settlement date???
End of July so we hope , then my wife goes back on the 22nd of August I follow via Tokyo on 27nd of August.
We are renting a cottage in Kinver from the 1st of August , costing us 500 quid a month .

Old Jul 7th 2003, 7:43 am
Not here

Yep...
Oh well...I personally believe that that's a shame, but you know best and good luck with that.