Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how far will 50k stretch

how far will 50k stretch

Old Sep 4th 2009, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how far will 50k stretch

Originally Posted by seang
and karma from me too. Also for Julian01 as they had none.

I have very strick karma giving criteria me
Oh do tell!
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:04 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Oh do tell!
oh I am so fickle I change from minute to minute
Old Sep 4th 2009, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
oh I am so fickle I change from minute to minute
Typical male!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

plumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud of

Hi all
Not really sure what to tell you, except that the one thing we have found is that the australians that we have met have all been so helpful and kind. My husband came out to Perth a week before me and the children with the aim of getting a rental and car before we came out when he arrived at the airport he booked a hotel at the imformation place in the airport and got a taxi into perth, the following day he booked into a backpackers as it was cheaper then went on the search for a car he spent all day walking and using the bus to look at cars in the quokka and gumtree but found they were not as described and that night he phoned me very dejected i began to get worried, but that evening he went for a drink and got talking to several locals 2 who offered him a job and 1 who told him where to go for a car he was even invited to a bbq for australia day, the following he went to the place that was recommended the man there didnt have anything but he took him in his own car to another garage about 10km out of perth and got him sorted out so the same afternoon he drove down to secret harbour and slept in the car in the beach car park so that he could get up early to search house hunting. The following day he went to the first real estate agent he saw in secret harbour and was shown around 3 properties and he applied the same day for the one we are still in now a beautiful big and new 4x2 this was on the friday before australia day weekend so we couldnt have a descision from the owners till the tuesday the day me and the children were flying out so pretty nerve racking, so that long weekend he slept in the car unbeknown to me and he got the ok as we were mid air, bearing in mind we had no jobs, no money and no referees we were so grateful to the real estate agents for taking a chance on us, that day he drove up to ikea and got mattresses, bedding, a bed settee, a patio table and chairs and basic kitchen utensils and thats what we arrived to the following day!
That first week we got here was manic we got the children into school for the first day of term 4 days after arriving, the oldest got a place doing horticulture at tafe which was the only course left with places, Pete(plumber) phoned round all the local plumbers and was told no the only job he could get was in Geraldton 500km away so he took it and drove up there on the sunday night leaving me with 6 kids starting school and no car but we needed the money so there was no choice, the following week i applied for a job(merchandiser)which i had to get 2 buses and a train for the interview and even had to get lift from a lorry driver because the bus dropped me off at the wrong end of the 2km road but again i will always be so grateful to my employers who gave me the job over 9 others who all had references and i had nothing not even a work suit for the interview i was wearing jeans!! I then had to go for a medical for the job which was not on a bus route and 25km away at the point i almost gave up on the job but started talking to the school crossing lady and she came and picked me up waited whilst i had the medical and took me home a complete stranger i was so amazed that she would do that for me, next i needed a car for work so looked on the internet saw one i liked it was the other side of perth 50km away the salesman bought the car to me i explained i would need credit on it but had no credit rating yet in australia so i agreed to buy it on the understanding he would find me credit which i got from the first bank he tried again totally amazed but things started to look up from there with money coming in we started building up the furniture mainly off ebay the children got bikes, body boards etc we got camping things and went camping most weekends during the summer all of ebay Pete got a job nearby after 3 months of travelling to geraldton we have made so many friends the children are in rugby, football, soccer teams they do swimming and are on the beach most days we applied for a mortgage 4 weeks ago and have been accepted so we move into our own house on the 19th september.
It hasn't always been easy but it was the best descision we ever made and worth the risk we took in coming here like i say if you want something bad enough and are prepared to put up with a few sacrifices and work hard you can make it work.
Sorry if i have gone on a bit but you did ask!!!
Sue
Old Sep 5th 2009, 2:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plumbobs
Hi all
Not really sure what to tell you, except that the one thing we have found is that the australians that we have met have all been so helpful and kind. My husband came out to Perth a week before me and the children with the aim of getting a rental and car before we came out when he arrived at the airport he booked a hotel at the imformation place in the airport and got a taxi into perth, the following day he booked into a backpackers as it was cheaper then went on the search for a car he spent all day walking and using the bus to look at cars in the quokka and gumtree but found they were not as described and that night he phoned me very dejected i began to get worried, but that evening he went for a drink and got talking to several locals 2 who offered him a job and 1 who told him where to go for a car he was even invited to a bbq for australia day, the following he went to the place that was recommended the man there didnt have anything but he took him in his own car to another garage about 10km out of perth and got him sorted out so the same afternoon he drove down to secret harbour and slept in the car in the beach car park so that he could get up early to search house hunting. The following day he went to the first real estate agent he saw in secret harbour and was shown around 3 properties and he applied the same day for the one we are still in now a beautiful big and new 4x2 this was on the friday before australia day weekend so we couldnt have a descision from the owners till the tuesday the day me and the children were flying out so pretty nerve racking, so that long weekend he slept in the car unbeknown to me and he got the ok as we were mid air, bearing in mind we had no jobs, no money and no referees we were so grateful to the real estate agents for taking a chance on us, that day he drove up to ikea and got mattresses, bedding, a bed settee, a patio table and chairs and basic kitchen utensils and thats what we arrived to the following day!
That first week we got here was manic we got the children into school for the first day of term 4 days after arriving, the oldest got a place doing horticulture at tafe which was the only course left with places, Pete(plumber) phoned round all the local plumbers and was told no the only job he could get was in Geraldton 500km away so he took it and drove up there on the sunday night leaving me with 6 kids starting school and no car but we needed the money so there was no choice, the following week i applied for a job(merchandiser)which i had to get 2 buses and a train for the interview and even had to get lift from a lorry driver because the bus dropped me off at the wrong end of the 2km road but again i will always be so grateful to my employers who gave me the job over 9 others who all had references and i had nothing not even a work suit for the interview i was wearing jeans!! I then had to go for a medical for the job which was not on a bus route and 25km away at the point i almost gave up on the job but started talking to the school crossing lady and she came and picked me up waited whilst i had the medical and took me home a complete stranger i was so amazed that she would do that for me, next i needed a car for work so looked on the internet saw one i liked it was the other side of perth 50km away the salesman bought the car to me i explained i would need credit on it but had no credit rating yet in australia so i agreed to buy it on the understanding he would find me credit which i got from the first bank he tried again totally amazed but things started to look up from there with money coming in we started building up the furniture mainly off ebay the children got bikes, body boards etc we got camping things and went camping most weekends during the summer all of ebay Pete got a job nearby after 3 months of travelling to geraldton we have made so many friends the children are in rugby, football, soccer teams they do swimming and are on the beach most days we applied for a mortgage 4 weeks ago and have been accepted so we move into our own house on the 19th september.
It hasn't always been easy but it was the best descision we ever made and worth the risk we took in coming here like i say if you want something bad enough and are prepared to put up with a few sacrifices and work hard you can make it work.
Sue
Fook me . . . James Joyce reincarnate!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You obviously came over with a great attitude Plumbobs & it has turned out well for you.
Congrats!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

twizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the roughtwizzle is a jewel in the rough

Wow plumbobs!!

well done!
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

plumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud ofplumbobs has much to be proud of

we came out with an open mind, no expectations and a will to make it work the one advise i would give is don't compare australia and the people here to the uk, the country and people are different and if you accept the differences and go with it you will fit in fine the australians and other immigrants we have met have all been very friendly and helpful.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Now that is a "Adventure"!!
Superb sue,and i hope you and your family loads of luck

jase
Thanks for sharing
Old Sep 5th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jackinoz
hi again sorry for the lack of info,were talking £s my job is a plasterer other half is a hairdresser ,kids are 10 and 5 .you hear people saying ooohhh the houses are great(which some probably are) but to have something half decent were talking a large deposit then a large mortgage maybe $200,000 dollars (and poor me working till im 90 to pay it off) maybe its best to rent for a year then see what happens ,any info on mortgage repayments would be gratefull tata
There's loads of tradie jobs going, lots of building going on and as your other half is a hairdresser I'm sure she'd walk straight into a job, most papers I pick up seem to be screaming out for hairdressers. Give it a crack, sure you'll never look back.

The economy here is still in growth

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...01-462,00.html

We both had good jobs in UK and a really great house, came over about 5 months ago and haven't looked back. Hubby is working and is always being offered other jobs, I'm not working now by choice which is what I always wanted. Life's good
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Hi
I hope this reassures you a bit myself, husband and 6 children came out to australia in january with $10,000 and a suitcase each no job and no friends or relations, we managed to get a car for $3000 and paid $1500 rental bond we bought a mattress each for the floor and basic household items for $1000 my husband got a job in a week and i got one the week after and we havn't looked back we both now have good cars the house is fully furnished and we have just been approved for a mortgage, don't let money put you off if you want something to work badly enough it will
Good luck
Sue
Sue -

You are amazing!

To answer your question about 50K pounds.....

We came to australia with our 4 children, $8000 australian, a used car, and a prepaid 3 week holiday rental. DH got a job within 2 weeks - but we had to move to NSW from Queensland - and the job didn't start for 6 weeks - and didn't pay for 8 weeks. We put $2200 down on a bond!! Then we bought microwave, dishes, pans, sheets and other household goods for $1000. We ended up transferring $2600 more Aussie from our savings in the US to make it. Once DH started receiving regular pay, we caught up with the "wish list", everything went smoothly. More money would have been good.....but it can be done on very little.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there jack in oz me bricklayer similar posit ion but we havnt our house sold yet and dont no if well have enough money unless we sell it if we dont sell it well get it tight ,i would say if i had 50000 grand i d be well pleased
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

perth bound is on a distinguished road

Hi all
Sue
It made me cry, love it, we are heading to Perth in November and I keep thinking 'are we doing the right thing'. You are such an inspiration. This is the best post I've read for ages, thank you.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 8:47 am
blondie

BB and LG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by perth bound
It made me cry, love it, we are heading to Perth in November and I keep thinking 'are we doing the right thing'. You are such an inspiration. This is the best post I've read for ages, thank you.
Totally agree, brilliant post.
Old Sep 7th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I hope this reassures you a bit myself, husband and 6 children came out to australia in january with $10,000 and a suitcase each no job and no friends or relations, we managed to get a car for $3000 and paid $1500 rental bond we bought a mattress each for the floor and basic household items for $1000 my husband got a job in a week and i got one the week after and we havn't looked back we both now have good cars the house is fully furnished and we have just been approved for a mortgage, don't let money put you off if you want something to work badly enough it will
Good luck
Sue
My kind of people Sue. Brill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.