Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How far in advance......

How far in advance......

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:30 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute
Smile How far in advance......

before you emigrate is it best to let departments like Inland Revenue, Child Benefit Agency, etc know that your going?? C x
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:07 pm
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: How far in advance......

Originally Posted by shiels
before you emigrate is it best to let departments like Inland Revenue, Child Benefit Agency, etc know that your going?? C x
I would love to know this as well, I'm now starting to make lists and trying to figure out what to cancel, when to cancel etc, dont like this bit!
Clairex
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:20 pm
Back to the future!

Treacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to allTreacle Tart is a name known to all
Default Re: How far in advance......

Originally Posted by belleandscone
I would love to know this as well, I'm now starting to make lists and trying to figure out what to cancel, when to cancel etc, dont like this bit!
Clairex
Yes best to inform them.
I phoned the C B A and told them the date we were leaving and the very helpful lady calculated what was due to me upto that date, so the month after I arrived £50 odd had been paid into my uk bank account. According to some others though they have had problems with C B A where money was still continuing to paid in even though they had informed them. If this were to happen to you I would suggest not touching it as you will more than likely have to pay it back at some point!
We informed the Inland revenue also and recieved a tax rebate as a result.

Hope this helps.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved it was so last minute that I let them all know once I'd gone, which was all okay apart from with ntl, which were an absolute nightmare and we spent many a transatlantic phone call going around in circles.

Check each of your utilities because some will have a set 1 month/3 month etc notice period. I seem to remember most wanting to know about a month in advance. We sorted out council and income tax after we'd left and both were fine - we just got a rebate. It will probably make things more straight forward to tell people before if you can - then there is likely to be less to chase up on later.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:29 pm
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

When you finish working and before you move you need to inform your tax office that you will not be working in the UK. You do not necessarily state that you are migrating. You will need to complete form P85 and form IR138

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

TV Licence - if it is still done the way it was 4 years ago, then if you are paying by direct debit, you are paying 6 months IN ADVANCE. So if you are leaving in September......don't pay them any more as you have already paid that far ahead.
I moved in October, stopped paying in April, had a reminder letter in July, and pointed out that I had already paid up till october....last I ever heard from them.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:17 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Better get on to it then as we are hoping to go in around 8 weeks!!!
Thanks for the replies so far. C x