Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How expensive are the houses in Melbourne?

How expensive are the houses in Melbourne?

Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How expensive are the houses in Melbourne?

http://www.australianschoolsdirectory.com.au/

http://www.myschool.edu.au/
Old Aug 15th 2013, 4:55 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Just be a little bit careful with MySchool. Nothing can beat visiting the school for yourself.

I'm on a school council, and once I found out how some schools can cleverly and legitimately massage the statistics to make themselves look better on MySchool and other websites, I lost all faith in the information.

BB
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Thought we were discussing $350k houses?

At least I'm honest about a suburb, even Sunshine has nice pockets.

Anyway, my point is I'd rather live 20-25km out on the West, rather than 55km out on the South-East, especially if commuting to the city. Despite the bad reputation of the Westgate I can be in the city in 20 mins at the weekends or off-peak, and the Werribee line trains take 28 mins from Williams Landing to Southern Cross. (or if you want to save money Laverton is still Zone 1)
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/th...808-2rkr4.html

We have friends who have a fantastic house in the best part of Sunshine. Take it east of CBD and add $500K to the price. A house near their's sold recently and the agent marketed it as the 'Paris end of Sunshine'.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Sunshine was ranked Melbournes 219th best suburb, I think there are 220 suburbs I wouldnt live in any of the Western suburbs or the satellite towns that have sprung up out that way, most of them are dry brown dust bowls with high crime and unemployment. The east side is much nicer.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Sunshine was ranked Melbournes 219th best suburb, I think there are 220 suburbs I wouldnt live in any of the Western suburbs or the satellite towns that have sprung up out that way, most of them are dry brown dust bowls with high crime and unemployment. The east side is much nicer.
Crime stats would disagree with you, most of the newer suburbs are the definition of boring suburbia where nothing happens, full of working to middle class professionals.

Nice map here

http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/blo...403-2h639.html

Last edited by sr71; Aug 15th 2013 at 10:02 am.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Crime stats would disagree with you, most of the newer suburbs are the definition of boring suburbia where nothing happens, full of working to middle class professionals.
My view is that new suburbs are targets for thieves waiting for new home buyers doing a complete new home furnish. Home entertainment systems, new white ware, new computers, even new landscaped plants.

The trick is to be observant enough that the guys are loading the van not unloading the van
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
My view is that new suburbs are targets for thieves waiting for new home buyers doing a complete new home furnish. Home entertainment systems, new white ware, new computers, even new landscaped plants.

The trick is to be observant enough that the guys are loading the van not unloading the van
Possibly, but also not backed by my experience. You'll find inner suburbs like South Yarra are actually quite bad. Inner city, close to public transport, lots of lane ways and opportunities to just jump of fences into back yards etc. plenty of addicts around. Add in the pubs/clubs at weekends etc. Loads of cars with on street parking, easy targets.

Whereas somewhere like Point Cook, with minimal public transport, has a very low crime rate, pretty much nothing happens apart from the odd burglary. No drunks, no druggies, no violence etc.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Frankston not looking too good there with inner city crime rates!

Here's another interactive map that may be useful to the OP. I can't tell how old this data is but forget about all the other variables but slide the median house price range to max $400k and see what that leaves you!

http://www.theage.com.au/national/gr...eable-city/map

On a $500k-$600k budget I'd be trying to find myself into Eltham, Montmorency and nearby areas.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

I spent three happy years living in the West, in Albion. CBD by train in 19 minutes, on a weekend could drive in in 15. I find it a bit odd for people to write off an entire 'side' of the city.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almo
I spent three happy years living in the West, in Albion. CBD by train in 19 minutes, on a weekend could drive in in 15. I find it a bit odd for people to write off an entire 'side' of the city.
A long 36 months others would say
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Nice map here

http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/blo...403-2h639.html
It backs up my feeling that you have the known lowlights (dandenong, ringwood, frankston), and then you have a general sweep from NW to NNE of dodgy areas. Many in the east haven't got their heads around the breakpoint that the new builds in the west have introduced into things. That's likely to build with time.

In all of these, there are much finer variation of dodgy/safe than the stats show - where things are closer to the US model of block by block variation in crime/social status/etc.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
A long 36 months others would say
To my knowledge no one on here was living with me, so I'd be surprised if they did say that!
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

The usual over-exaggerated claims.

FWIW there are over 300 suburbs.

In a survey of the liveability of Melbourne's 314 suburbs in 2011 based on house prices, congestion, crime rates, transport:

The Western Suburbs had the 37, 40, 42, 49, 55, 58, 88, 91, 95 and 96th suburbs out of the 314.

I also see a lot of eastern and south-eastern suburbs in the lowest quarter of the 314 suburbs.

Footscray is ranked 37th. Ask people who have never been there or only been there a long time ago and they will tell you it's one of the worst suburbs in Melbourne.

As others point out, you can't generalise for a whole area of 1.5 mill+ people and their suburbs.

Williamstown ranks 40th and I'm proud to say I spent a wonderful time there - born and bred. I think I know a bit more about the West frankly.

As a matter of interest - ever lived in Melbourne's western suburbs for any period of time? I would guess that large tracts of Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes etc, etc were paddocks when you came up with your pearl of wisdom.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 12:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://theage.domain.com.au/greater-...122-1nrv2.html

Yes, surveys can be criticised blah, blah but take it as indicative of suburbs and better than an old granny's tale.

Sunshine 208/314.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
On a $500k-$600k budget I'd be trying to find myself into Eltham, Montmorency and nearby areas.
I would have to second that wholeheartedly then again I'm biased

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.