Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to get a mortgage on arrival?

How easy is it to get a mortgage on arrival?

Old May 30th 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

debs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nicedebs1966 is just really nice
Default How easy is it to get a mortgage on arrival?

Hi

We'll be arriving in Perth in August.

We have planned on renting initially but wondered how easy it would be to get a Mortgage?

Obviously in the UK you would need at least 3 months payslips ordinarily to even be considered for a mortgage - can anyone help?

We will have some deposit to put down for our first home.

Many thanks

Debs
Old May 30th 2011, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy is it to get a mortgage on arrival?

To be honest I wouldnt think about this at all, you might hate it here. Give it a year at least, maybe 2 before you think about buying.

You are going to go through a hell of a lot of ups and downs in that first year, if you comit you might find you feel differently and decide to leave but end up stuck with a house you dont want.
Old May 30th 2011, 2:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Alternatively buying in a seriously depressed market makes a lot of sense when other factors are against you I.e exchange rate. And who knows, maybe the financial tie of a home will get you through the tough times without just quitting.
Just another angle .......
Old May 30th 2011, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

It may be better to wait and see what the housing market and the exchange rate will do.

The exchange rate currently isn't good although the downside seems to be holding at $1.50 which is a resistance level.

It would be better to wait and see if you like the area where you will stay, as it's far easier to get out of a rental agreement than to sell a house.

Mortgages seem to be easy enough to get if you fulfill the required criteria, my daughter and son in law got one after 6 months of being in Perth. She had just started a temporary contract job IT and he was a casual joiner.

Last edited by mvagusta; May 30th 2011 at 2:50 pm. Reason: more info
Old May 30th 2011, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

It takes time to get to know a city the size of Perth, then to make a decision on which suburb to live in, so I wouldn't rush into buying.
Old May 31st 2011, 8:35 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a sizeable deposit then things can move pretty quickly. I know of an expat who didn't even have his first payslip yet, but his 40% deposit + letter of employment was sufficient for the bank.

We rented for about 8 months before buying. The one caveat with respect to the generally good advice of renting first to get an understanding of areas etc, is that it becomes more difficult to consider other areas once you're settled (kids at school, friends with neighbours etc).
Old May 31st 2011, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond reputehaggis supper has a reputation beyond repute

It's likely to depend on your status - i.e. if you're on a 457 visa/not a permanent resident you'll need to apply to the Foreign Investment Review Board for approval. Doing so would mean to instantly lose LAFHA.

Whilst there is a degree of competition between the banks at present you would struggle (IMHO) to convince a bank to lend any sizeable sum of money without sufficient history, security, employment details and credit references.

However as others have already pointed out I would caution against buying after such a short period, unless of course you already know Perth and the area.

We know of two families in Melbourne who bought almost immediately upon arrival and lived to regret it. They didn't really know the area or the schools and felt somewhat trapped by their decision. They chose the suburbs based on friends/colleagues advice but quickly found out it wasn't right for them. Both have subsequently moved.

I thoroughly recommend renting for at least a year - allows you to check out the area and work out where you really want to live and of course if it did all go horribly wrong and you decide to leave Perth then its a lot easy to do so without having to sell.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Col
Old May 31st 2011, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of

You can talk to any of the Australian banks before you leave the UK, they all have offices in London, we were told by the Commonwealth Bank in London it is even possible to get a Mortgage prearranged before you leave the UK, I don't know how, but speak to them.
Another thing, credit approval in the UK depends on past performance, in Australia they look at future potential to pay, so its all a bit different over there.
Old May 31st 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
You can talk to any of the Australian banks before you leave the UK, they all have offices in London, we were told by the Commonwealth Bank in London it is even possible to get a Mortgage prearranged before you leave the UK, I don't know how, but speak to them.
Another thing, credit approval in the UK depends on past performance, in Australia they look at future potential to pay, so its all a bit different over there.
Have a look on ANZ's website and search for expat mortgages. They tend to be for Australians moving back to Australia though.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Alternatively buying in a seriously depressed market makes a lot of sense when other factors are against you I.e exchange rate. And who knows, maybe the financial tie of a home will get you through the tough times without just quitting.
Just another angle .......
Exchange rate is terrible and housing market is just starting a long downward spiral, why buy?
Old May 31st 2011, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Exchange rate is terrible and housing market is just starting a long downward spiral, why buy?
Maybe they have too much money or enjoy debt. Or maybe they believe that the median property in Perth will be worth 850k. Leave them to it I say.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the others, that it would be foolish to rush into buying, as you may live to regret it for many reasons.
Old May 31st 2011, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isgraham
Maybe they have too much money or enjoy debt. Or maybe they believe that the median property in Perth will be worth 850k. Leave them to it I say.

awwee give them a break, we were all young and naieve when we first thought about emigrating to the 'lucky country',
Old Jun 1st 2011, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Margaret3

awwee give them a break, we were all young and naieve when we first thought about emigrating to the 'lucky country',
I'm still young.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived 9 years ago, we landed, a week and a half later we found the house we wanted to buy, and 4 weeks later we moved in!!!

I am not sure that the banks are quite so keen to lend money these days, but if you have at least a 20% deposit then you should be ok.\

We NEVER regretted buying the house we did and spent 5 happy years there before moving up to Brissy.

Good luck!

Love

Rudi
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.