Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how easy is to get a job in the hospitality sector ?

how easy is to get a job in the hospitality sector ?

Old Sep 19th 2009, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Jhon Krommer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how easy is to get a job in the hospitality sector ?

how easy is to get a job in the hospitality sector?

I'm going in early december to australia ,do you think it is a good time to get a job in the hospitality sector. the hospitality sector should be hiring at that moment for the end of the year season, shouldnt' it?

how easy is to get a job, do you need to send your cv by internet? or you can go to the nearest hotel and speak to the manager?
Old Sep 20th 2009, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how easy is to get a job in the hospitality sector ?

Originally Posted by Jhon Krommer

I'm going in early december to australia ,do you think it is a good time to get a job in the hospitality sector. the hospitality sector should be hiring at that moment for the end of the year season, shouldnt' it?

how easy is to get a job, do you need to send your cv by internet? or you can go to the nearest hotel and speak to the manager?
Where are you heading?
What exactly within hospitality do you want to do as you may need licenses?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

petereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to allpetereb is a name known to all

As an example;

I decided to change jobs - I started looking at 10.30 in the morning, I had a job offer by 2.30 that afternoon, which i accepted.
I a chef working in WA, there seems to be a lot more jobs around than even 6 months ago.
Depending on your experience you shouldn't have a problem, seek is probably your best bet.

Good Luck
Old Sep 21st 2009, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of places will have completed there recuitement for Chrtismas casuals by early-mid November.

I suggest that you contact casual agencies and do some agency work. You'll be able to get a feel for different workplaces and get the low down from other workers as to where is good or not etc.

Come the beginning of Feb, you could be competing with university students, depending on what kind of work you do.

Spottless Services is Australia's largest contract caterer. They always have postions going somewhere. They used to do a lot of the catering at large leisure events - I dont know if this is still the case.

http://www.spotless.com/Working-With-Us/Overview.html
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Where are you heading?
What exactly within hospitality do you want to do as you may need licenses?
heading to sydney

within hospitality I would like :hotel receptionist , restaurant waiter or bartender or something similar

which licenses do you need? I was searching in internet and found that you need to take this courses:
RSA: certificate in the responsible service of alcohol $85 1 day training
RCG: responsible conduct of gambling $79 1 day training
when you say licencies you refer to those courses?
Old Sep 27th 2009, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
A lot of places will have completed there recuitement for Chrtismas casuals by early-mid November.

I suggest that you contact casual agencies and do some agency work. You'll be able to get a feel for different workplaces and get the low down from other workers as to where is good or not etc.

Come the beginning of Feb, you could be competing with university students, depending on what kind of work you do.

Spottless Services is Australia's largest contract caterer. They always have postions going somewhere. They used to do a lot of the catering at large leisure events - I dont know if this is still the case.

http://www.spotless.com/Working-With-Us/Overview.html
if I work as hotel receptionist , restaurant waiter or bartender or something similar could I be competing wiht university students?
Old Sep 28th 2009, 4:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

if I work as hotel receptionist , restaurant waiter or bartender or something similar could I be competing wiht university students?
Yes.

In NSW, all alcohol servers must do the RSA.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

heading to sydney

within hospitality I would like :hotel receptionist , restaurant waiter or bartender or something similar

which licenses do you need? I was searching in internet and found that you need to take this courses:
RSA: certificate in the responsible service of alcohol $85 1 day training
RCG: responsible conduct of gambling $79 1 day training
when you say licencies you refer to those courses?
Yes.
You will be competing with Uni students & backpackers I would imagine.
Good luck!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 2:44 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough

From students we know that before summer is important to get into catering companies etc., especially in Sydney, so that you do not compete head on with university starters February etc. Melbourne appears to have most opps, as it has most bars and cafes.....