Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How early do you wake up ?

How early do you wake up ?

Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:00 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How early do you wake up ?

Haven't acclimatised yet.
Go to bed around 11/11.30, and get up at 6.30 or 7.30, depending what time I start work (8 or 9)

Weekends I still sleep in, though a bit less, cos always got to much to do, and it get warm quickly now.
Birds not that loud where we are.
I hear them at wierd time though (middle of the night!)

Pascal's colleagues are always talking about jogging etc in the early morning. He wants to too, but can't get up either!
There's always heaps of people jogging etc around Lake Monger when he goes to work (8 am), and when he goes home (6 ish)
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Ah ha ! a post i can relate to.

i assumed we were pretty well prepared for most things upon our arrival.
at first we thought it was because we were new here etc but then came to realise YES you do wake up earlier here and more to the point, so does every other bugger. In the uk i started work at 8.30, it took 15 minutes to get to work and i used to wake up at 7.30 . Here, it takes 30 mins to get to work (45 to get home) I start at 7.30 but have been doing overtime and starting at 6.00 , finish work at 4.

I leave the house at 5.30 ( 6.30 start, have to park and walk ) and get home at 4.45 ( same as uk ).

I think what i'm trying to say is yes, people do get up a lot earlier and go to bed earlier but it's something that very quickly becomes a natural thing to do. I for one love my bed and cherish every minute spent in it but feel 8.30 is a lie-in.

Paul, once again staggering along the jagged edge of a perilous cliff between, merry and pissed
Old Oct 27th 2004, 11:56 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

a 2yr old and 7mth old (both boys) in the house so we usually fall asleep anytime from 7pm when the 2yr old has gone to bed. The 7mth old wakes us up at 5:30am - he's an Aussie and definitely does the waking up early thing. As for us, I'm sure we would sleep in if the opportunity ever presented itself. Doesn't look likely for the next 13yrs or so.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:06 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I wake up and get up at about 6am every morning and I'm usually ready to fall asleep by about 10.30pm. And I'm only 27!

Technically, we should all be rising with the sun and heading off to bed when it sets, although, given this dark country during the winter, we'd be spending a heck of a lot of time in bed!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:57 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bundy
Well, I wake up and get up at about 6am every morning and I'm usually ready to fall asleep by about 10.30pm. And I'm only 27!

Technically, we should all be rising with the sun and heading off to bed when it sets, although, given this dark country during the winter, we'd be spending a heck of a lot of time in bed!

Um and the problem with spending time in bed is?
Old Oct 27th 2004, 12:59 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren
Um and the problem with spending time in bed is?

Did I say there was a problem?!

I can hibernate with the best of them
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:12 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Did I say there was a problem?!

I can hibernate with the best of them

Oh.... hibernate... how boring
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:15 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by Siren
Oh.... hibernate... how boring
...as in get under the covers and find ways to while the winter away
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:17 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

...as in get under the covers and find ways to while the winter away
Lazybones

G
Old Oct 27th 2004, 1:18 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally Posted by Grayling
Lazybones

G
Steady G, don't get your threads confused
Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:50 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by surfdude
We have been here six months and I have to say life is great. There is one or two things we are still perplexed with, potential Christmas in the sun (can't wait), christmas shopping with the children on holiday (how do you do that one !!) but most of all WHY DO WE WAKE UP SO EARLY AND GO TO BED EARLY !

At first we thought it was jet lag or the heat and we would get over it.....no..... we fall asleep by 10.00pm and are bright and alert by 5.30/6.00am. Not complaining, just thought that at 'our age' we would keep our same sleeping patterns. We have tried to fight it - we go to restaurants and by 9.30 we are the only ones left - everyone has gone home to bed ! Has anyone else noticed this ?

Its my theory as to why TV is so bad - no one can stay awake for programmes past 10.00.

Hi surfdude,
Won't be any change for our household then. Andrew is up by 5.50am for work and I'm up by 6am. He is normally asleep before me at around 9.30pm and I usually pop off to bed at about 10.30pm. I think the only difference for us would be the fact that it is light.
Sarah
Old Oct 27th 2004, 2:55 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

EEKKK!!! Am starting to think I am the only one that can't adjust - I know very few Aus people post on here this time of night, Sandra being an exception, and Podgy Possum at times.
I've tried, believe me, but it doesn't work - somehow my brain can shut out builders noise, dogs barking, crowscawing, even the landlord (who knocks loud enough to wake the dead) - but only in the mornings. If I go to bed at 10pm I toss and turn and can't sleep till 1, and end up more tired than if I'd stayed up!
Having said that, I have to be up for work tomorrow, so I'd better try and sleep now
Old Oct 27th 2004, 3:49 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
EEKKK!!! Am starting to think I am the only one that can't adjust - I know very few Aus people post on here this time of night, Sandra being an exception, and Podgy Possum at times.
I've tried, believe me, but it doesn't work - somehow my brain can shut out builders noise, dogs barking, crowscawing, even the landlord (who knocks loud enough to wake the dead) - but only in the mornings. If I go to bed at 10pm I toss and turn and can't sleep till 1, and end up more tired than if I'd stayed up!
Having said that, I have to be up for work tomorrow, so I'd better try and sleep now
Hi Pollyana! Well it is 1.39am here in Sydney! Nope I did not change my habits, I get bored shitless here at times when I haven't got enough late night company. And apart from the city getting a place open after nine is a nightmare.

I do get up earlier here but only when sleeping in a tent, other than that I make sure I have decent wooden blinds and my room faces south. As for going to sleep when the sun goes down 8.30 !!! in the height of summer and 5.00 in winter....nah not that dead yet!

I am married to a man who like to go to sleep early and rise early...but lucky for me he has just swopped back to night shift so I get more company on his nights off now.

For all those night owls out there, when you get to Aus don't phone people after nine cause you might get them out of bed! Because loads of people adjust the same way to Aus and go to sleep early and rise early.

And to be serious my sleeping habit began because I have children and grew to need less and less .... I started studying only after I had the kids and they slept at night all night and I could study then without being disturbed, Now I usually work.

Cheers
Old Oct 27th 2004, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I could practically sleep my life away given the chance. When I've done an early at work, I have been known to be asleep by 4.00pm after getting back from work, and not wake up except very briefly, until 10 or 11am the following morning! I really could sleep for England!

Oddly enough, when I'm on holiday in a hot country, I can be awake by 4.30 or 5.00am, and off birding 15 minutes later. I guess it's different when you're having fun as you have something to get up for. The reason I get up so early to watch birds is because the first few hours of daylight are when the birds are most active then the heat gets up and everything goes quiet.

No wonder some of you are woken by Aus's dawn chorus. I remember being woken by Kookaburras, Cockatoos, Koels, Noisy Friarbirds and God knows what else, though of course for me that's a bonus of being in Aus, though for you folks who don't appreciate the racket, do what I do these days and wear earplugs! LOL!
Old Oct 27th 2004, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Al H is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't wait until we are getting up at 5:30 Our current normal day starts at between 4:30 and 5:00 when one of the kids (3 and 1) decides its time to get up
I don't know what is going to happen when the clocks go back next week :scared:

Alastair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.