Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How does child education compare

How does child education compare

Old May 8th 2007, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

paulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nicepaulkimoliver is just really nice
Default How does child education compare

Hi

My son is 6 years old and is doing really well in school, does the education system compare to the UK. He is in a private school and is pushed quite hard in all subjects, my worry is that he gets the same education in Adelaide as here

Appreciate feedback
Old May 8th 2007, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does child education compare

Originally Posted by paulkimoliver
Hi

My son is 6 years old and is doing really well in school, does the education system compare to the UK. He is in a private school and is pushed quite hard in all subjects, my worry is that he gets the same education in Adelaide as here

Appreciate feedback
It really depends on the school and the teacher you get. My 7 year old daughter has attended two schools here, in the first they put her into year 3/4 (she should be in year 2). She was really capable on the work side of things, but mentally and physically couldn't keep up with the other kids who were all 8 or 9 years old.

We moved last month and she now attends another school, they've put her into year 2 where she should be. Already I've noticed the difference in her attitude to school, she loved the other one but enjoys this one much more. The teacher gives her work according to her ability rather than what everyone else gets and he lets her work at her own pace.

You will find that the schools here focus more on the kids becoming a well rounded individual rather than how much work they can push out and what score they can get on exams to give the school good marks in league tables. This IMO gives more fairness to those kids who don't do too well at school, because in the UK these kids mostly get left to it because the school can't use them to score points on the league tables.
Old May 9th 2007, 1:53 pm
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy
It really depends on the school and the teacher you get.

The teacher gives her work according to her ability rather than what everyone else gets and he lets her work at her own pace.

You will find that the schools here focus more on the kids becoming a well rounded individual rather than how much work they can push out and what score they can get on exams to give the school good marks in league tables.
Yes I second all this!! My daughter is at a private school here in Adelaide and she settled so quickly there, the school is fantastic and the teacher & Principal is brilliant!! She is a VERY bright little girl and I had the same worries as you, but like Wendy said above the teacher gives her work to stretch her and keep her interest, and it seems so far to be working very well indeeed! She loved her school in the UK, but keeps telling me how much better the one here in Oz is!!

I have a friend in another part of Oz that has had problems with schools, but I guess that is all down to you as the parent sussing them all out in the begining, and if you do mess up and get the wrong one there is alot of choice here so you can quickly rectify the problem!!
Old May 9th 2007, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulkimoliver
Hi

Appreciate feedback
You might find some relevant information in this thread:-
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433813