Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How does Adelaide compare to other aus cities?

How does Adelaide compare to other aus cities?

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Default How does Adelaide compare to other aus cities?

Hi all

we moved to Perth 3 years ago but returned to Uk after 6 months (for a combination of reasons). Perth is a beautiful city but for some reason not for us.

Have recently been over to Brisbane , Sydney and Melbourne. Sydney would be far too expensive for us but liked Brisbane and loved Melbourne.

Have now returned to Uk and are trying to make our minds up what to do.

However, am now curious as to what Adelaide is like and how it compares to the other cities. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has been there and one of the other cities I mentioned.

I know all this makes me sound very indecisive but having stuffed things up first time round I want to make sure that if we go again we chose the right place.

Does Adelaide feel as isolated as Perth? Is it as busy as the other cities? What is the climate like? Any feedback gratefully received.

Cheers
Lis
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How does Adelaide compare to other aus cities?

Originally Posted by lissysarah
Hi all

we moved to Perth 3 years ago but returned to Uk after 6 months (for a combination of reasons). Perth is a beautiful city but for some reason not for us.

Have recently been over to Brisbane , Sydney and Melbourne. Sydney would be far too expensive for us but liked Brisbane and loved Melbourne.

However, am now curious as to what Adelaide is like and how it compares to the other cities. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has been there and one of the other cities I mentioned.

I know all this makes me sound very indecisive but having stuffed things up first time round I want to make sure that if we go again we chose the right place.

Does Adelaide feel as isolated as Perth? Is it as busy as the other cities? What is the climate like? Any feedback gratefully received.

Cheers
Lis
hi

ive lived in adelaide since november last year, and have only ever been to perth so i cant comment on what it is like in comparison to other cities!

i like it, but it does feel a bit old and maybe tired. the nearest beach to us (henley beach, just west of the cbd) is fab, white loose sand much like the beaches on perth, its also quiet and clean etc. the roads in the cbd and on the main routes out of the cbd are the worst ive ever driven on anywhere - they rarely relay the blacktop - they just patch. badly! and there is a tatty array of big warehouse style shops on each side. there are also the ugliest telegraph poles ever - huge big slabs of concrete with iron girders bolted on either side, and they are so badly placed that high sided trucks cant use the left hand lane of the roads in case they bash into them, due to the camber of the roads. it does sound minor but it does detract from the beautiful surrounds. there are heaps of parks like there is in perth.

i have been to a few suburbs and there are new ones and older ones and tatty ones; same as anywhere. the north side of the city is well developed, the south is catching up but i have gathered they suffer from problems in terms of traffic routes north to the city. the east going towards the foothills of the hills are really nice with a mix of new and updated older style - and they have gorgeous views and surrounds.

i think adelaide seems a little backward in views, habits etc - in some ways this is charming but in others it can be annoying. the people are really nice and most are friendly. i never got the isolated feeling in perth but then i havent ever lived there. i have the impression that in the other cities (particularly melbourne that thinks it is 'it') adelaide may be thought as maybe like a kind but slightly dotty aged great auntie with funny habits.. if you can imagine what i mean! i enjoy living where we do, but im not sure that if it wasnt for my partners job we would have chosen to come here. we arent going back to the uk though!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 12:42 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in Adelaide for 2 years (and 3 days ) now.We are moving up to the Gold Coast in a few weeks for work reasons.

The above is all pretty accurate...I especially love the comparision with an old dotty Aunt

Adelaide has less 'street cred' than the other main cities. It's charms aren't immediately apparent. It's downfalls are also it's plus points in someways. A wonderful lifestyle can be had here, although your pre-teens might beg to differ(kids seem to have a longer childhood here and are somehow more innocent)...you really have to come and visit too see for yourself. The climate agrees with me. It has 4 seasons and gets cold in Winter (very cold inside houses!)When it rains it REALLY rains! Summer temps can fluctuate wildly (by 10 degrees) between days. Usually there's a block of days when it stays above 40....but it's a dry heat, much like opening an oven door. Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons by far...much like an English Summers day with gentler sunshine.

Here's a link for 'Adelaidebrits' a wonderfully friendly, helpful and some may say 'fluffy' web-site....be warned-it's addictive!
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Happy Surfing and good luck for the future

Jan
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 1:00 pm
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all

Well we are in Adelaide for a rekkie trip and we love it!!! Have not been to other cities but as far as we are concerned Adelaide has everything to offer us and our two young kids!!

As previous poster said you really need to come take a look for yourself as what one likes another doesnt!! But we love it and cant wait to move out for good early 2007!!
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 1:05 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
Well we are in Adelaide for a rekkie trip and we love it!!! Have not been to other cities but as far as we are concerned Adelaide has everything to offer us and our two young kids!!

As previous poster said you really need to come take a look for yourself as what one likes another doesnt!! But we love it and cant wait to move out for good early 2007!!
It's got the best shoping out of ALL the other cities IMO.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 3:03 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Hi all

Cheers
Lis
All the places you mentioned are large cities, Are you sure you want to live in a city, do you need to for employment reasons, theres plenty of fantastic places to live in OZ in country areas, especially along the coast, maybe an hour or two drive from a city.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 3:37 pm
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
I have been in Adelaide for 2 years (and 3 days ) now.We are moving up to the Gold Coast in a few weeks for work reasons.

The above is all pretty accurate...I especially love the comparision with an old dotty Aunt

Adelaide has less 'street cred' than the other main cities. It's charms aren't immediately apparent. It's downfalls are also it's plus points in someways. A wonderful lifestyle can be had here, although your pre-teens might beg to differ(kids seem to have a longer childhood here and are somehow more innocent)...you really have to come and visit too see for yourself. The climate agrees with me. It has 4 seasons and gets cold in Winter (very cold inside houses!)When it rains it REALLY rains! Summer temps can fluctuate wildly (by 10 degrees) between days. Usually there's a block of days when it stays above 40....but it's a dry heat, much like opening an oven door. Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons by far...much like an English Summers day with gentler sunshine.

Here's a link for 'Adelaidebrits' a wonderfully friendly, helpful and some may say 'fluffy' web-site....be warned-it's addictive!
http://s2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/

Happy Surfing and good luck for the future

Jan
Adelaide has a Mediterranean type climate, like southern europe.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
All the places you mentioned are large cities, Are you sure you want to live in a city, do you need to for employment reasons, theres plenty of fantastic places to live in OZ in country areas, especially along the coast, maybe an hour or two drive from a city.
Would be happy to be within an hours commute of a city, for ease of employment etc but also because I have 3 children (?) 19,19 & 18 who are used to the clubs and bars where we live, however as they will be off to Uni/work soon maybe we should concentrate on what we want
Lis
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

loveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant futureloveklein has a brilliant future

Hi all

Cheers
Lis
Hi Lis,
I can only comment on our experiences of Adelaide from a visitors point of view, to us it seemed like a more sleepy, old type of city in comparison to the other major citites. I felt it was the sort of place for a good weekend break although have never lived there.
On a cheeky side note was just a wee bit curious as to why you decided to leave Perth as we are in a bit of a dilemma ourselves as to whether to go there or possibly Melbourne. Was there anything in particular you could put your finger on when you say "Perth is a beautiful city but for some reason not for us." all the best spence
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by loveklein
Hi Lis,
I can only comment on our experiences of Adelaide from a visitors point of view, to us it seemed like a more sleepy, old type of city in comparison to the other major citites. I felt it was the sort of place for a good weekend break although have never lived there.
On a cheeky side note was just a wee bit curious as to why you decided to leave Perth as we are in a bit of a dilemma ourselves as to whether to go there or possibly Melbourne. Was there anything in particular you could put your finger on when you say "Perth is a beautiful city but for some reason not for us." all the best spence

Its hard to pinpoint why a place suits some people more than others. A bit like house hunting, sometimes you know within minutes of walking through a door whether or not a place is for you.

Having been to Perth, Melb, Sydney and Brisbane - I would definately say that Perth is the most attractive, clean and well planned out of the cities. Weather and beaches great. We could only afford to live about 45mins from central Perth and I wasn't keen on the suburbs that far out. Some lovely houses but it just felt a bit dead with no soul to the place (sorry to everyone who lives there!). Melbourne was/is much livelier, all 5 of us liked it much more. More multi cultural, more up to date (if that makes sense, Perth felt in a bit of a time warp) better shops, more restaurants and just more happening. Weather was better in Melb in August than here (Essex)in August with no evidence of the 'four seasons in one day'.

Apparently Perth is expected to grow significantly and the Aussies say Perth and Brisbane will take over form Sydney and Melbourne economically etc in the next few years.
Lis
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:50 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Hi

I agree with the earlier posts.. Adelaide tends to be viewed as "the poorer cousin" of the other cities.. and after living here over a year.. I can see why.

It is a nice place when you look deep enough tho...

As for late teenagers.. i personally wouldnt fit here if I were that age.. I struggle with it now and im beyond teens

Its really a personal thing...

I dont regret anything.. but prob will move on at some point.. it has been a good starter tho

K
Old Aug 24th 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I haven't been to either Adelaide or Perth so can't comment on them at all. I went to Brisbane and we loved the place. That is where we are hoping to move to next year. We also have family there as my husbands uncle, aunt and cousins are there.

My cousin moved to Adelaide last year and loves it. He went with his wife and 2 young children who are both under 5. He is on a regional visa though and so it was either there or Perth for him and he chose Adelaide. They are having a wonderful time and really like it.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

I lived and worked in Adelaide for a few months....and did feel isolated...but I was young then....but that I'm in my me now that I'm in my thirties. There is something about the place that really appeals to me (but I'm off to Melbourne anyhow )

TC