Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how do you work out insurance value?

how do you work out insurance value?

Old Aug 18th 2005, 9:40 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Question how do you work out insurance value?

we've had the formal quote from John Mason and the insurance form to fill in - how on earth are you supposed to work out the value of things?

I can see it's straight forward for things like PCs etc that have a nominal value, but what about clothes, photos, ornaments, etc?
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:15 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how do you work out insurance value?

Originally Posted by bridiej
we've had the formal quote from John Mason and the insurance form to fill in - how on earth are you supposed to work out the value of things?

I can see it's straight forward for things like PCs etc that have a nominal value, but what about clothes, photos, ornaments, etc?
If it is anything like Crown you have to do replacement value. If you underestimate they can reduce any settlement. What I read implied that if you say it is worth £10K in total but would actually cost £15K they would reduce any payment by a third. (How do they prove this?)

I would keep it simple for valuing clothes etc eg 15 t-shirts *£10 + .... Photos are effectively valueless to everyone except you so nil.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

It's replacement value, so count the number of tops you have, think of lowish average price and multiply. Things like photos have no financial value, so list them but value at zero. We ended up doing a detailed speadsheet rather than using the form (OK for Masons) and it really paid off when we made a small claim - items easily identified and no arguments. Add a few measurements of large furniture - very useful for renting before your shipment arrives.
Tend towards high values for breakables as they are most vulnerable.

It is difficult, boring and soul-destroying but don't give up!

Lesley
Old Aug 18th 2005, 10:40 am

Thanks peeps. Most of our clothes are going to the bin anyway apart from a few bits as we need some new stuff (too many times thinking "i'll just touch up that paint" without getting changed!!)

I guess things like my wedding dress are only sentimental too....

Thanks for the tip about replacment value though, will have to do a bit of research.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks peeps. Most of our clothes are going to the bin anyway apart from a few bits as we need some new stuff (too many times thinking "i'll just touch up that paint" without getting changed!!)

I guess things like my wedding dress are only sentimental too....

Thanks for the tip about replacment value though, will have to do a bit of research.
You'd be surprised at how much it would cost to replace everything. Like how about the CD/DVD collection. I hadn't realised we had that many CD's until we went through and wrote them all down.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by marco121068
You'd be surprised at how much it would cost to replace everything. Like how about the CD/DVD collection. I hadn't realised we had that many CD's until we went through and wrote them all down.

Dread to think, I've got hundreds of CDs, as for DVDs got all nine series of X-Files box sets before we even start on anything else..!
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Dread to think, I've got hundreds of CDs, as for DVDs got all nine series of X-Files box sets before we even start on anything else..!
Clearly a bad case of Couchus Potatoas.
Old Aug 18th 2005, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by marco121068
Clearly a bad case of Couchus Potatoas.

Guilty as charged...!

And, of course, like to perv over David Duchovny and Robert Patrick (who Malc looks like!)