Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you get rid of ducks in your pool?

Wikiposts

How do you get rid of ducks in your pool?

Old May 27th 2005, 9:56 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you get rid of ducks in your pool?

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Mr Birdwatcher! LOL, I'll have to change my name by deed poll!

Sounds like you've got a fair bit of space! I've seen domestic ducks, Chestnut Teals and Maned Ducks co-habiting on a small lake in Emerald, so maybe they'd be best of buddies, who knows.

I saw a flock of Sulphur-cresteds that must have exceeded 100 birds when I visited Upper Ferntree Gully on the Eastern fringes of Melb'n. So in answer to your question, I suspect that like a lot of parrots they can and often do occur in large flocks. Also this is a species that is commonly found even in the middle of large cities, so they're also pretty adaptable. Hope that helps!
Thanx Tony, I sort of figured that they must congregate in large groups, just hadnt seen the SC's do it, only the Major Mitchells. We are only 8kms from Brisbane CBD, so you're right, it does go to show they are adaptable. Maybe being in an EPA helps (although as Ive said before, when it comes to Brisbane City Council, EPAs & VPOs arent worth the paper they are written on as soon as a developer comes on the scene ) & there is quiet a bit of parkland & native bushland around the area as well. They sometimes come & sit on our verandah rail (very very cool having wild birds so close!), next time they do it I'll try to get a pic .

Anyway, I'll see how I go with the ducks, if we have too many problems I think it will be easier to get rid of 2 farmyard ducks than 30 Maned ones .
Old May 27th 2005, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Thanx Tony, I sort of figured that they must congregate in large groups, just hadnt seen the SC's do it, only the Major Mitchells. We are only 8kms from Brisbane CBD, so you're right, it does go to show they are adaptable. Maybe being in an EPA helps (although as Ive said before, when it comes to Brisbane City Council, EPAs & VPOs arent worth the paper they are written on as soon as a developer comes on the scene ) & there is quiet a bit of parkland & native bushland around the area as well. They sometimes come & sit on our verandah rail (very very cool having wild birds so close!), next time they do it I'll try to get a pic .

Anyway, I'll see how I go with the ducks, if we have too many problems I think it will be easier to get rid of 2 farmyard ducks than 30 Maned ones .
I look forward to the pics, plus any you get of any other birds...
Old May 28th 2005, 11:55 pm
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Be really spitefull, empty the pool, and maybe they will push off next door to their pool!!
ViVi
Old Jun 4th 2005, 12:03 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I'm NOT impressed, walked outside this morning to find 2 ducks in our pool & the rest sitting on the fence asking if the water was warm.

When you've finished with those toys snakes Ali, send them over my way