Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you get rid of ducks in your pool?

Wikiposts

How do you get rid of ducks in your pool?

Old May 24th 2005, 9:00 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you get rid of ducks in your pool?

Originally Posted by jas_uk
Play station?!
It was a game for the original nintendo (not even the SNES) about 10+ years ago! Which my friend had, and I didnt .....

You young whippersnappers these days with your Playthis and iThat, your eThis and your wireless that.. lol

(edit)
No, im not as old as that sounds...
(edit2)
Yes, im a whippersnapper *hands head in shame*
(edit3)
I remember the game though, hehe! Fits the thread nicely...
(edit4)
Take the edit button away from me, AWAY!!
oops sorry your right! duck hunt was the game u got free when u bought it. i thought it was older that 10 years though?
Old May 25th 2005, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Donald and Mathilda have not been seen since this morning.They had sneaked in under cover of darkness and were snoozing this morning when disturbed by an angry man in his underpants.

Not been seen since. Actually missing them....

Ali
Old May 25th 2005, 1:19 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliMay
They had sneaked in under cover of darkness and were snoozing this morning when disturbed by an angry man in his underpants.

Ali
Are you suprised :scared:
Old May 25th 2005, 3:55 am
oneday someday

jas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the roughjas_uk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by soapy
oops sorry your right! duck hunt was the game u got free when u bought it. i thought it was older that 10 years though?
Quite probably, tried to find out on the net but couldnt..! There were three games free werent there, duck hunt was the best one though as far as I remember...!
Old May 25th 2005, 5:48 am
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

Donald and Mathilda have not been seen since this morning.They had sneaked in under cover of darkness and were snoozing this morning when disturbed by an angry man in his underpants.

Not been seen since. Actually missing them....

Ali
Mmmmm Quack...Quack...
You must be gettin attached to the quackin thing you've even named them :scared:

Roast Duck in Lemon sauce is my favourite chinese meal.
Will you send me some with some egg fried rice... oh and a few prawn crackers....Mmmmmm nice

Thanks. Ill send you the dosh I'm starvin

Ang
Old May 25th 2005, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

AliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant futureAliMay has a brilliant future

Oh dear. Its dark and I have just heard a splash and a quack.
I guess Donald/ Mathilda can't spot the snakes in the dark.
ALi
Old May 25th 2005, 10:38 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here are just a few of mine, sorry the quality is so crappy, my new phone doesnt take that good a picture!
Attached Thumbnails How do you get rid of ducks in your pool?-ducks.jpg  
Old May 25th 2005, 10:40 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear. Its dark and I have just heard a splash and a quack.
I guess Donald/ Mathilda can't spot the snakes in the dark.
ALi
LOL so you have bought the snakes then!!!??? Has it worked during the day though!!?

Lynn
Old May 25th 2005, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
LOL so you have bought the snakes then!!!??? Has it worked during the day though!!?

Lynn
Yes I bought plastic snakes! But now have the ultimate solution- we've just bought a house. Donald and/or Mathilda can be someone elses problem.
We are going to dig a pool though....

Ali
Old May 26th 2005, 12:39 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Here are just a few of mine, sorry the quality is so crappy, my new phone doesnt take that good a picture!
Maned Ducks?
Old May 26th 2005, 12:54 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyk38
Maned Ducks?
Dunno about maned, but they would be maimed if they got in my pool .
Old May 26th 2005, 1:06 am
Rocket Scientist

Maned Ducks?
Actually, heres a serious question for you since you are an expert in this field. Would there be big problems if I bought domesticated ducks? Are ducks territorial & would the maned ducks upset the farmyard ducks (or visa versa)?

Reason I ask is that the boys have asked many many times if we could have some ducks when we lived at our other house, but we had no dam or anything. Here we have the perfect setting, but already ducks in residence!

Any ideas?
Old May 26th 2005, 2:40 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, heres a serious question for you since you are an expert in this field. Would there be big problems if I bought domesticated ducks? Are ducks territorial & would the maned ducks upset the farmyard ducks (or visa versa)?

Reason I ask is that the boys have asked many many times if we could have some ducks when we lived at our other house, but we had no dam or anything. Here we have the perfect setting, but already ducks in residence!

Any ideas?
The only thing I'm expert at Mrs D, is eating large amounts food washed down with large amounts of wine (mmm....duck a l'orange....)

Umm..if they are Maned Ducks (and I think they are) then they tend to behave more like geese, often found grazing away from water. So they're quite different beasties from your regular farmhouse jobbies. However, ducks like any birds, can be territorial. It's quite possible that there'd be a bit of a feathered punch-up. All depends on how much space there is too, and whether they're competing for the same resources. Basically what I'm getting at is that without seeing your set-up, I wouldn't really be able to give you a conclusive answer other than 'possibly, maybe'.

My one beef with domestic ducks in Aus is that many of them readily interbreed with the native Pacific Black Duck, producing lots of hybrids, as they are very closely related. At the end of the day, if your happy with having Maned Ducks (which I think are very pretty), then enjoy having them around, and ask if you really want domestic ducks too.
Old May 26th 2005, 9:45 am
Rocket Scientist

The only thing I'm expert at Mrs D, is eating large amounts food washed down with large amounts of wine (mmm....duck a l'orange....)

Umm..if they are Maned Ducks (and I think they are) then they tend to behave more like geese, often found grazing away from water. So they're quite different beasties from your regular farmhouse jobbies. However, ducks like any birds, can be territorial. It's quite possible that there'd be a bit of a feathered punch-up. All depends on how much space there is too, and whether they're competing for the same resources. Basically what I'm getting at is that without seeing your set-up, I wouldn't really be able to give you a conclusive answer other than 'possibly, maybe'.

My one beef with domestic ducks in Aus is that many of them readily interbreed with the native Pacific Black Duck, producing lots of hybrids, as they are very closely related. At the end of the day, if your happy with having Maned Ducks (which I think are very pretty), then enjoy having them around, and ask if you really want domestic ducks too.
Thanx Tony, yes we do love the Maned ducks - we have about 30 of them :scared: , 2 pair had ducklings not long after we got here which swelled the numbers considerably!

As for the resources etc, well, 2.5 acres, plus 5 acres for neighbours on one side (also with dam) & 2.5 acres the other side, so a fair area to waddle around. Funny how they do that . They seem to like our dam alot more than the neighbours, my guess is because its in the open, the neighbours is in a thicket of trees, so not as safe.

Thought the reason that we would want domesticated ducks would have been obvious though - eggs! Plus the fact that the kids want to get a duckling & watch it grow up & have it as a pet . (I can just see it being a Donald rather than a Daisy & ending up as in orange sauce & lots of tears )

One other question Mr Birdwacher, if I may. We have a large flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos that live here, I counted 10 this morning watering at our dam, is it normal to have such a big flock in the city? Ive seen large flocks of Major Mitchells etc out in the outback, but have never come across any more than 1, & very rarely 2, Sulphur Cresteds together when I've lived in the suburbs. Are we just special or what?
Old May 27th 2005, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Thanx Tony, yes we do love the Maned ducks - we have about 30 of them :scared: , 2 pair had ducklings not long after we got here which swelled the numbers considerably!

As for the resources etc, well, 2.5 acres, plus 5 acres for neighbours on one side (also with dam) & 2.5 acres the other side, so a fair area to waddle around. Funny how they do that . They seem to like our dam alot more than the neighbours, my guess is because its in the open, the neighbours is in a thicket of trees, so not as safe.

Thought the reason that we would want domesticated ducks would have been obvious though - eggs! Plus the fact that the kids want to get a duckling & watch it grow up & have it as a pet . (I can just see it being a Donald rather than a Daisy & ending up as in orange sauce & lots of tears )

One other question Mr Birdwacher, if I may. We have a large flock of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos that live here, I counted 10 this morning watering at our dam, is it normal to have such a big flock in the city? Ive seen large flocks of Major Mitchells etc out in the outback, but have never come across any more than 1, & very rarely 2, Sulphur Cresteds together when I've lived in the suburbs. Are we just special or what?
Mr Birdwatcher! LOL, I'll have to change my name by deed poll!

Sounds like you've got a fair bit of space! I've seen domestic ducks, Chestnut Teals and Maned Ducks co-habiting on a small lake in Emerald, so maybe they'd be best of buddies, who knows.

I saw a flock of Sulphur-cresteds that must have exceeded 100 birds when I visited Upper Ferntree Gully on the Eastern fringes of Melb'n. So in answer to your question, I suspect that like a lot of parrots they can and often do occur in large flocks. Also this is a species that is commonly found even in the middle of large cities, so they're also pretty adaptable. Hope that helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.