Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

Old May 7th 2006, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

bloody hell im very impressed with you all....

i can only deal with one major issue at a time...got the visa...got house ready for sale..now to put it on market..

my brain has just gone into overload... :scared:
Old May 7th 2006, 8:33 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

This is great, thanks to all. After reading all that I have just realised that if need be we can actually get the shippers in 2 weeks prior to completion, as long as the house has exchanged, then go elsewhere for the final 2 weeks, get all the bills paid off, (that have been redirected to Mums,) then we can go with a clear conscience (yeah right!!) that everything is sorted.

Just one more thing...banks how does that work (ie) closing your account with all that lolly in it from the sale of your house, and how do you get the £ exchanged to aAustralia and who did you all use to get the best $ to the £ rates??? did you open a bank account here (HSBC) or what? how much $ can you take physically with you, in travellers cheques? also we will pay off our credit card before we go, we want to leave all that behind,& get a cash line card over there.

god can't cope with this , hey, we haven't even got the flippin visa yet!!!
Old May 7th 2006, 9:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soonbethere
Just one more thing...banks how does that work (ie) closing your account with all that lolly in it from the sale of your house, and how do you get the £ exchanged to aAustralia and who did you all use to get the best $ to the £ rates??? did you open a bank account here (HSBC) or what? how much $ can you take physically with you, in travellers cheques? also we will pay off our credit card before we go, we want to leave all that behind,& get a cash line card over there.
Might be an idea to retain your UK account. It'll be useful for transferring money to cover any unforeseen eventualities that may occur - and if you have friends/relatives here, they can use it to send on money - also useful to buy UK things you may want shipped over. With regard transferring the money - I haven't heard a bad word said about OzForex. We just set up an account with them and they were very helpful. You basically just give them the nod when you want to transfer - it's a bit of a 'mare guessing what the exchange rates doing but I'm not going to be beat myself up about the 0.01 fluctuations - just the larger ones. Before you go, get hold of a Nationwide credit card - they don't charge you for any foreign transactions and you can use it in the first month or so until you have full bank account set up and can transfer your cash over.
Old May 7th 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Really useful thread. I have lists & lists of things to do but have been wondering how it will all come together at the same time :scared:
You all make it sound so simple!

Leigh
Old May 8th 2006, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

we went into rented accomodation for the couple of months before we went, it meant that everything was sorted by the time we went. Like others we have redirected everything of note to my mother in laws place and she opens it and forwards anything important on.
Old May 8th 2006, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light
Question Re: How do you do it, house completion to flights to paying off the bills in the uk?

Originally Posted by woogle
I took this one step further,re-directed everything to my mum,but also set up a joint account with her & left money in it. Very useful in first few weeks,as we didn't set up a bank account in oz before we came,so we used Nationwide debit card over here for first few weeks,we used them as they don't charge to use your card abroad. We have also used it to buy bigger items,fridge,TV etc,as when we got our oz bank account,there was a limit of $1000 a day,so it was useless for buying all the initial things,like beds etc.
Also,we got a few refund cheques back in UK from things like car insurance & TV licence,so she paid them in for us. And now when it comes to birthdays & X-mas she can put money in for the kids & I can just spend it on the debit card.
A word on utilities,I was told I could pay them the day I cancelled,but I remember the phone,I had to give BT an exact leaving time & day,then they send the bill the week after. And I'm not sure,which but either gas or electric wouldn't let me pay over the phone,& send a final account out later.
I know we left sky too late,& the people who bought our house got about 3 weeks worth of free sky!
Good luck with the move and don't stree too much,everything always works out in the end,whether you stress or not
I've got a Nationwide Bank account with a debit as well as a credit card. Can you use the debit card in shops then? I thought you could only use it to withdraw cash? I'm definitely going to keep that account open for money transfers and things I might need to still pay for in the UK (like my mum having to inevitably post me things out!) Also for my student loan to come out of! Eek!

My question is, what happens about being taxed on your interest in that account? Do you get taxed on it in the UK as well as having to declare it on your Aussie tax return? Are you even still allowed to keep a current account if you don't live in the country?
Old May 8th 2006, 4:36 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sparkley23
I've got a Nationwide Bank account with a debit as well as a credit card. Can you use the debit card in shops then? I thought you could only use it to withdraw cash? I'm definitely going to keep that account open for money transfers and things I might need to still pay for in the UK (like my mum having to inevitably post me things out!) Also for my student loan to come out of! Eek!

My question is, what happens about being taxed on your interest in that account? Do you get taxed on it in the UK as well as having to declare it on your Aussie tax return? Are you even still allowed to keep a current account if you don't live in the country?
First the debit card if the Debit card has a visa or mastercard symbol on it thn you can use it anywhere that'll take visa or mstercard. If it has a switch or electron symbol on it, look at thr back of the card and see if you see the cirrus or meastro logo on the back. If it has either or both of these, you can use it whyehere where they take those, a lot of places do, but if you don't actually look at the types of payment they take it's easy to miss.

Now for the 2nd part, there is a form that you can get from your bank that means that any interest received is non-taxable, pop into the branch and the teller will be able to help you out there, for the life of me I can't remember the form number. There's no reason what so ever though why you shouldn'd be able to keep the account after you move, non.

Not sure on the Austrailian tax side, someone else if going to have to jump in on that one.

Hope it all helps
Graham
Old May 8th 2006, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Hi everyone and thanks for the useful tips as I was also thinking about it.

The flights and cancelling bills will be no problem and we are going to rent out our house. We are leaving white goods e.t.c and other furniture as we have a smallish house and do not have stacks of stuff. My question is we will need to take my tools for sure and the computer which is nearly new and just sentimental items and kids items, should I use a courier os shipper and can I take the last week off work and pack the items up and still get them over to Oz.
Thanks for any advice or personal experiences.
Old May 8th 2006, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
can I take the last week off work and pack the items up and still get them over to Oz.
Yep, you can... but if you're shipping it's going to be about 8 weeks or so until you get them! Our container was taken away on 23 March, sailed on 31 March and arrived in Sydney on 2 May. However, we've been told by Pickfords that it's going to be at least 2 weeks from now (so 23 May earliest) until we can take delivery because of the customs/quarantine inspection - apparently there's a big backlog at the mo.

If you send via surface mail, it's a min of 20 working days (so 4 weeks!) or air is at least a week.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

[QUOTE=sparkley23]I've got a Nationwide Bank account with a debit as well as a credit card. Can you use the debit card in shops then? I thought you could only use it to withdraw cash? I'm definitely going to keep that account open for money transfers and things I might need to still pay for in the UK (like my mum having to inevitably post me things out!) Also for my student loan to come out of! Eek!

Have found it ideal to keep Nationwide debit & credit card,just remember,when you get here & you use the debit card,they will ask you if it's a cheque/savings/credit? I got declined when we got to the airport for the hire car,because I said it would be savings - BUT cos it has visa logo,they class it as credit.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Have found it ideal to keep Nationwide debit & credit card,just remember,when you get here & you use the debit card,they will ask you if it's a cheque/savings/credit? I got declined when we got to the airport for the hire car,because I said it would be savings - BUT cos it has visa logo,they class it as credit.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know, thanks. I'm def keeping mine.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:39 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=woogle]
Originally Posted by sparkley23

Have found it ideal to keep Nationwide debit & credit card,just remember,when you get here & you use the debit card,they will ask you if it's a cheque/savings/credit? I got declined when we got to the airport for the hire car,because I said it would be savings - BUT cos it has visa logo,they class it as credit.

Can you explain your post a bit to me please, I don't understand
Sorry! (" would be savings - But cos it has a visa logo they call it as credit") ????????????
Old May 9th 2006, 9:42 am
visa granted 16/5/06

[QUOTE=soonbethere]
Originally Posted by woogle

Can you explain your post a bit to me please, I don't understand
Sorry! (" would be savings - But cos it has a visa logo they call it as credit") ????????????

Just got it from the above post!! . The only "Visa" in my vocabulary is Visa - as in Passport!! what a wally!!
Old May 9th 2006, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

[QUOTE=soonbethere]

Just got it from the above post!! . The only "Visa" in my vocabulary is Visa - as in Passport!! what a wally!!

Sorry if I confused you!
Old May 9th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Are you ready for this...deep breath.....
We were trying to work out how you can get everything finalised with regards to completion on the house sale (so for eg you move out on a Friday, and want to fly out the following week or so, or even sooner. How do you get your final bills paid (utilities, council tax rebate maybe too?)

I was thinking of cancelling our mobile phone contracts end of may, giving them a months notice, then buying a pay as you go Sim or new phone that would work in oz, that seems straight forward enough.

But in our naivety we thought that we would probably complete on the house, move to mums for a night or so then fly out, but how can we????
Sorry to ramble, can someone shed some light as to how these things work!!!! how did you do it :scared:
Thanks
Yes YOU can do it! We moved out on the Monday 12pm when the cash hit the bank - then flew on Wednesday morning at 9 am on a flight booked Monday afternoon

PM me for advice

Sarah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.