Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do they charge for containers????

How do they charge for containers????

Old Oct 19th 2006, 6:22 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do they charge for containers????

Just out of curiousity i gave a shipping company a call the other day for a quick quote.
I wanted a quote for a 20ft container from cheltenham uk to Adelaide and the woman said that she could not give a quote as they need to know what goes into the container!!!!!

i thought that you just paid for the size of the container......whether it was full, half full or even empty.

Or am i just being a bit thick here?
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:04 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do they charge for containers????

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
Just out of curiousity i gave a shipping company a call the other day for a quick quote.
I wanted a quote for a 20ft container from cheltenham uk to Adelaide and the woman said that she could not give a quote as they need to know what goes into the container!!!!!

i thought that you just paid for the size of the container......whether it was full, half full or even empty.

Try Alpha International

http://www.ai-uk.co.uk

Nick
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Gibsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: How do they charge for containers????

They charge per cubic feet! They come round to your house, you tell them what you are or are not taking. They then send you a quote depending on how many cubic feet you use.........We were told we were 40 boxes over a 20 ft container! Have down sized now to sqeeze into a 20 ft, quotes vary from £3,300 to £3,710!Thats from Sussex to Adelaide!!Hope this is of some help!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

There are also 2 types of 20ft containers, normal size and reffer which is slightly smaller.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:53 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
There are also 2 types of 20ft containers, normal size and reffer which is slightly smaller.
Do you mean reefer...? Which is a fridge box and slightly smaller internal dimensions due to the insulating necessary... Anyone that gets a reefer to load should be getting the best deal in the world 'cos it just has to be straight forward equipment repositioning...
Old Oct 19th 2006, 9:09 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

They probably want to know what goes in because they would anticipate packing it themselves and depending on the contents you could have a crew of 4 working for 3 days to pack your 40' like ours... :scared:

If you just want to know a shipping rate for a box to Oz then you can get a quote from one of the shipping lines...

If you don't have enough cargo to fill a container then the agent will ship it as groupage for you. This is a very profitable way to do things for the agent... A groupage container may well be freighted at double or more of the price of a full box... They'll collect your cargo, and consolidate it with other people's cargo until they have enough to fill a container... Then when it reaches Oz they'll unpack everything into a warehouse and distribute individually from there. As you can see this option involves much more handling and thus many more chances of damage/pilferage...
Old Oct 25th 2006, 5:16 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
They probably want to know what goes in because they would anticipate packing it themselves and depending on the contents you could have a crew of 4 working for 3 days to pack your 40' like ours... :scared:

If you just want to know a shipping rate for a box to Oz then you can get a quote from one of the shipping lines...

If you don't have enough cargo to fill a container then the agent will ship it as groupage for you. This is a very profitable way to do things for the agent... A groupage container may well be freighted at double or more of the price of a full box... They'll collect your cargo, and consolidate it with other people's cargo until they have enough to fill a container... Then when it reaches Oz they'll unpack everything into a warehouse and distribute individually from there. As you can see this option involves much more handling and thus many more chances of damage/pilferage...
cheers for the replies guys, very much appreciated.