Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do I use a Laptop in Aus?

Old Aug 7th 2006, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

deci will become famous soon enoughdeci will become famous soon enough
Default How do I use a Laptop in Aus?

Not being very bright when it comes to IT, I hope someone will be able to help. When I get to Aus, I will need to use my Internet Banking and of course keeping in touch with people while I search for our home,(some where near Brisbane), what is the best way to acheive this? [B] Answers should be fool proof.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:28 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How do I use a Laptop in Aus?

Originally Posted by deci
Not being very bright when it comes to IT, I hope someone will be able to help. When I get to Aus, I will need to use my Internet Banking and of course keeping in touch with people while I search for our home,(some where near Brisbane), what is the best way to acheive this? [B] Answers should be fool proof.
All you need is to sign up with an internet provider, you'll probably want broadband eventually but while you wait TPG provides pay as you go dial up access (does your laptop have a modem?). They should hopefully help you set it up. Then once you connect you can do your internet banking etc as per normal. Well apart from the laptop being upside down
If you didn't follow that then plan 2 is find a friendly local IT geek who can help you Or ask a more specific question and I'll try answer it....
Martyn
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:29 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Use it the same as you would in the UK, though you will need to signup with an Austraian ISP provider ie Dodo, Telstra, Optus etc.

Last edited by The Bloke; Aug 7th 2006 at 8:32 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond reputechaval has a reputation beyond repute

Not really sure what your question is...are you taking a laptop ? and wanna know about hooking up ? or just getting on tinternet from a payasyougo cafe ?

Might be better posting in the tech forum

Cheers

Hey up sky blues
Old Aug 7th 2006, 8:48 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

I doubt the modem in the laptop will work if it's a UK laptop since UK phones dont work in Oz.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:31 pm
Down Under

nicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud ofnicktork has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by temptininnit
I doubt the modem in the laptop will work if it's a UK laptop since UK phones dont work in Oz.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are indeed wrong.

Laptop modems are generally fine, as long as you have the right sort of connector on the end. (I think it's an RJ-11 type).

You can pick up a pre-paid dial-up internet packs from any of the big electronic retailers, e.g. Dick Smiths, Good Guys, Harvey Norman. They cost about $10-$20 depending on how many days dial-up access you want.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:40 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

You are indeed wrong.

You sound like my wife!

Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicktork
You are indeed wrong.

Laptop modems are generally fine, as long as you have the right sort of connector on the end. (I think it's an RJ-11 type).

You can pick up a pre-paid dial-up internet packs from any of the big electronic retailers, e.g. Dick Smiths, Good Guys, Harvey Norman. They cost about $10-$20 depending on how many days dial-up access you want.
If all that's too scary in your first few weeks, a lot of internet cafes will let you take your laptop in and plug it into a gap there. Keeps your internet banking details secure, but they'll help you plug it in etc, thus saving you one more thing to worry about when you set foot off the plane!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Kimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to beholdKimka is a splendid one to behold

*gets coat*
Old Aug 7th 2006, 11:47 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kimka

*gets coat*

If your laptop has wifi you can just find a cafe that offers free wireless access. Enjoy your coffee and surf the net
Old Aug 8th 2006, 12:02 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

The Aus telephone connector is different to the UK one. You can buy an Aus connector from an electronic store (or $2 shop).

However, here's a useful tip. With most new phones you can usually disconnect the lead at the handset and plug directly into the modem (RJ11) connection on you computer.

Once you've got the phone line physically connected you can use "Start->Setting->Control Panel=>Network Connections=>Create a new connection" to select an ISP.

You might want to look at ISP options before you leave rather than doing it in a rush when you arrive. Also you might want to select one that will allow you to move to ADSL later.

Old Aug 8th 2006, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

deci will become famous soon enoughdeci will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your help, at least I have some idea now.

Best wishes
Linda
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Sue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really nice

When we arrived, we used the local library to access our internet banking. You can use their services up to three times before registering with them and of course it is Free.

This was plently of time until I had sorted out my new ISP.

Sue