Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How do I update my passport with my married name?

How do I update my passport with my married name?

Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all
Default How do I update my passport with my married name?

Morning all,

I got married in OZ in December last year, so far I have been a bit slack about getting my passport updated with my married name.

I have searched through the forum and spoken to the ozzy post to try and find out how to get my passport updated and so far come up blank.

I know I don't have to get my name changed, but I am a bit old fashioned and want to take my husbands name

Does anyone know how you go about getting this done?

TTFN
Chelly
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I update my passport with my married name?

Originally Posted by chelly77
Morning all,

I got married in OZ in December last year, so far I have been a bit slack about getting my passport updated with my married name.

I have searched through the forum and spoken to the ozzy post to try and find out how to get my passport updated and so far come up blank.

I know I don't have to get my name changed, but I am a bit old fashioned and want to take my husbands name

Does anyone know how you go about getting this done?

TTFN
Chelly
I just waited until it expired and then changed it by taking in the original marriage certificate with my passport renewal application. The original marriage certificate is not the one you are given on the day of your wedding, you have to get it from BDM office.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

Morning,

I thought you only had a 12 month window after getting married to get you passport changed before you got fined?
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Morning,

I thought you only had a 12 month window after getting married to get you passport changed before you got fined?
Don't know, I did it a few years after getting married and didn't get fined, but hadn't travelled outside of the country for a few years and just renewed it when we were next travelling.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All answers here:

https://www.passports.gov.au/Web/Req...eMarriage.aspx
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Fab thank you
Old Sep 14th 2011, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fab thank you
No problem.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Morning,

Nope, you don't have to change it all if you don't want to. Wish I had left mine in maiden name, the hassle of changing it back was worse than the original change!
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Morning,

Of course you don't get fined

It is not compulsory to change one's name upon getting married.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Of course you don't get fined

It is not compulsory to change one's name upon getting married.
It's not a fine. But if you change it within 12 months of marriage, they replace the passport without a fee which is probably where the confusion was.