Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

how do I get home ?

how do I get home ?

Old Feb 15th 2003, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default how do I get home ?

If I am in living in Oz and my british uk passport runs out ?

Anyone know ?
Old Feb 15th 2003, 12:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You apply from Australia to the UK for a new one! You're still a British citizen, and so still entitled to a British passport. Even if you take Australian citizenship then you can still hold a Brit. passport as well.
Polly
Old Feb 15th 2003, 8:40 pm

pomijean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how do I get home

Contact the British Embassy in Canberra,they will send you the application form and process the passport here,you don,t get the blue passport,they give you an EU one,which is not as nice as the old one.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thank you as my passsprt would run out not long after we are set to go to Oz.

Carrianne
Old Feb 16th 2003, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quicker

hi we were at a party the other night and while chating to one chap he told me how his parents came over here when he was 5.
and now hes 40 he has not yet botherd to become a oz citizen and when him and his family decided to travel abroad last year he realised he needed a new uk passport, so he applied for a uk one the first since he arrived here 35 yrs ago, and his wife and kids applied for new oz passports,
he recived his back in 8 days and they had to wait 6 weeks.
so dont worry too much but remember you will need a resident return visa if you go out of oz.
all the best shaun
Old Feb 16th 2003, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

thanks Shaun, a residents return visa ? where do I get those ? do I need one every time I leave ?

Ta

Carrianne
Old Feb 16th 2003, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

hi yeah thats right dont know where you get it from and yes you need one everytime you leave oz. shaun
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:36 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Carrianne
where do I get those ? do I need one every time I leave ?

Ta

Carrianne

Carrianne it applies to Permanent resident holders only after a certain length of time (I think it's after 5 years from the date you've received your PR stamp), then after that five years, when you leave Aus for any reason and want to return you need to get a return visa.(from your local/closest immigration department)

For instance - My PR stamp in my passport says ; "Must not arrive after feb 06" (I was granted PR in 01 while in Aus) It says "multiple travel" - So I'm assuming only after that above date 2006, if I leave Australia then , even if it's for a short holiday, I need to get a return resident visa to come back here to Aus - in the meantime, for the next three years (until 06) I don't need one to leave and return to Aus. ..

cheers
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

thank you I had no idea but will remember that, is that if you do not apply for citizenship as you would have an Australian passport like my friend ? If you have an ozzy passport I am assuming one isn't needed?

Carrianne
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:58 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

thank you I had no idea but will remember that, is that if you do not apply for citizenship as you would have an Australian passport like my friend ? If you have an ozzy passport I am assuming one isn't needed?

Carrianne
Aussie citizens to my knowledge can come and go as they please like Brits can travelling in and out of Britain. I think it only applies to PR holders. I know it doesn't apply to the 4 year business visa, as I was on this before I got PR and travelled in and out of Aus on the business visa.

Since getting PR in 01, I haven't left Aus, but my passport says multiple travel and the must not arrive after the 06 date. Also when I picked up my passports from the immigration office in Brisbane for the PR stamp, the bloke there said something about after the date on my stamp( 06) I would need a return visa if I wanted to leave Aus and return. So I think it's definitely five years from the date of your PR stamp you need the return visa if you want to travel. Unless it's all changed recently - I'm just going on what my stamp says in my passport.

cheers
Old Feb 16th 2003, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

A couple of points -

Most Council Information Centres will have the application forms for a British passport. There is no need to phone Canberra.

When you travel from Oz to the UK leave here on the Australian passport and enter the UK on the British one, or you will have to queue up with all the other foreign nationals for up to 3 hours to enter the UK - I made this mistake in '99 on my first return visit

And in my opinion anyone that has lived here for 35+ years and not taken citizenship should be put on the next plane back to the UK with a one way ticket. What the hell are they doing taking Australians jobs and houses and having all the benefits of living here if they cannot, will not and are not prepared to become Australian citizens?
Old Feb 16th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Careful Wizzy that's a high horse that you could fall off!

Copied from immi web page:

Only Australian citizens have automatic right of entry to Australia. All other non-citizens, including people who migrated and now live in Australia permanently, must hold a valid visa or authority for re-entry to Australia. New migrants are issued with a multiple re-entry visa when their immigration to Australia is approved. These visas last up to five years from the date of grant. After the initial visa has expired, if the holder wishes to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident, they must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV).

I hope that clears it up for you
Old Feb 16th 2003, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Rossi
Careful Wizzy that's a high horse that you could fall off!

Copied from immi web page:

Only Australian citizens have automatic right of entry to Australia. All other non-citizens, including people who migrated and now live in Australia permanently, must hold a valid visa or authority for re-entry to Australia. New migrants are issued with a multiple re-entry visa when their immigration to Australia is approved. These visas last up to five years from the date of grant. After the initial visa has expired, if the holder wishes to continue to travel to and from Australia as a permanent resident, they must obtain a Resident Return Visa (RRV).

I hope that clears it up for you

I am quite happy on my high horse thanks!! That is my personal opinion and I will stick to it. There are many, many people here who will happily tell you they have no intention of taking out Australian citizenship, but are also happy to reap the benefits of it. If they cannot commit after a few years here then they should leave - but as I said that is MY personal opinion.
Old Feb 16th 2003, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

sofistek is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you as my passsprt would run out not long after we are set to go to Oz.

Carrianne
I'm sure you can renew it well before it runs out. So, if you're worried about it, why not renew it before you leave?
Old Feb 16th 2003, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

I think application to the British Embassy in Canberra is the way to go for a replacement British Passport (if you are in OZ).

You will need a valid RRV (Residents Return Visa) to get back into OZ at least you will when your Migrant's Visa's re-entry entitlement expires.

If you have a RRV in your expired passport (as I do) then I believe I'm correct in saying that that will be sufficient provided you travel with both old and current passports. (Although I had to suffer a flight from Manchester to KL not knowing for sure whether I would be allowed to board the KL OZ flight ... no doubt due to admin stuff up between Passport and Visa numbers)

THE DIFFICULTY IS

In getting your ID confirmed ... ie to get some professional to say they know you, the Bank Manager said he didn't personally know me, I see a different Doctor every time I visit the Medical Centre, have had no need for a Lawyer etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.