Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to dig a trench

How to dig a trench

Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:03 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to dig a trench

We need a trench dug from the street to our house to put the mains electric, phone line and Telstra-foxtel cable.
The electrician tells me he doesn't know anyone to dig a trench. I rang Telstra who have a site saying that it pretty much has to be their people that do the trench and the wiring for the phone line http://www.telstra.com.au/movinghome/newhome.htm. It will be $120 just for the guy to come and look at it.

So I ask if he will also move the Tesltra-Foxtel cable? No, well, maybe, can't say, he may or may not be qualified to move Telstra-Foxtel cable. So I've to pay $120 for a guy to come out and look at it and tell me he's not qualified? So then they actually recommended going to an Austel certified electrician instead of them.

So then I call an Austel electrician. Can you move the Telstra-Foxtel cable? Yes. What about the phone cable? No. Do you know anyone who is certified to dig the trench? No

So then I call a Telstra certified electrician. Can you move the phone line? Yes. Can you move the Tesltra-Foxtel cable? No. Do you know anyone to dig the trench? No

Don't you just love the regulations and the extreme demarcation of responsibilities here. They are just f'ing wires, lay them in the trench, you don't need a bloody certificate!!!

I'd dig the damn thing myself and lay the wires, but that would be illegal
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:15 am

Default Re: How to dig a trench

And another thing! I've already got two electricians working on the house. One to re-wire the house, and one to wire up the air-con, cos obviously they are two completely different jobs.

Now its looking like I've to get two other electricians in to wire up the phone and the foxtel. Thats FOUR electricians. Why????

Arrrrgghhhhhhhh
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:28 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by A dogs life
And another thing! I've already got two electricians working on the house. One to re-wire the house, and one to wire up the air-con, cos obviously they are two completely different jobs.

Now its looking like I've to get two other electricians in to wire up the phone and the foxtel. Thats FOUR electricians. Why????

Arrrrgghhhhhhhh
good news for pom electricians coming out tho ! obviously plenty of work about
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Del Boy
good news for pom electricians coming out tho ! obviously plenty of work about

And the bad news is they have to get certified for just about everything.

In the UK I had one sparky who rewired my house, put in the phone lines and wired up Sky for me.

Here that requires three different certifications. And strangely, I can't find any electrician who has got round to getting certified in all three. And if there is such an electrician, he's probably the wealthiest man in Queensland
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:51 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

We need a trench dug from the street to our house to put the mains electric, phone line and Telstra-foxtel cable.
The electrician tells me he doesn't know anyone to dig a trench. I rang Telstra who have a site saying that it pretty much has to be their people that do the trench and the wiring for the phone line http://www.telstra.com.au/movinghome/newhome.htm. It will be $120 just for the guy to come and look at it.

So I ask if he will also move the Tesltra-Foxtel cable? No, well, maybe, can't say, he may or may not be qualified to move Telstra-Foxtel cable. So I've to pay $120 for a guy to come out and look at it and tell me he's not qualified? So then they actually recommended going to an Austel certified electrician instead of them.

So then I call an Austel electrician. Can you move the Telstra-Foxtel cable? Yes. What about the phone cable? No. Do you know anyone who is certified to dig the trench? No

So then I call a Telstra certified electrician. Can you move the phone line? Yes. Can you move the Tesltra-Foxtel cable? No. Do you know anyone to dig the trench? No

Don't you just love the regulations and the extreme demarcation of responsibilities here. They are just f'ing wires, lay them in the trench, you don't need a bloody certificate!!!

lucky you, I can't get one electrician to wire my spa up.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Just get your hand in your pocket and pay the men!!!

These people have kids to feed you know. Would you want their kids to go hungry because you wanted one man to do three mens work?

Heartless you are!!!!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by walla1
lucky you, I can't get one electrician to wire my spa up.

I never said I could get them. This was just talking to them on the phone, they hummed and hawwed about when they might actually get round to grace me with their presence

Last edited by A dogs life; Sep 26th 2005 at 2:04 am.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Steve G
Just get your hand in your pocket and pay the men!!!

These people have kids to feed you know. Would you want their kids to go hungry because you wanted one man to do three mens work?

Heartless you are!!!!

Jeez, I'll buy his kids a Big Mac each if he would just shift his arse and do the ONE man job . He's an electrician, he should know his wires, phone, electric, cable, its all just wires.

For that matter, I'll upgrade to a KFC meal for each of his kids if he would do it by Friday
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Jeez, I'll buy his kids a Big Mac each if he would just shift his arse and do the ONE man job . He's an electrician, he should know his wires, phone, electric, cable, its all just wires.

For that matter, I'll upgrade to a KFC meal for each of his kids if he would do it by Friday
Don't suppose you can make that a Happy Meal??
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

don't know the regulations in OZ about diging but would imagine there is a company that knows where every power line and sewer, cable,gas ect is and would also imaging that company needs to give you the ok it is safe to dig where you are digging........in the USA they are called digsafe and you have to give them the location of where you are going to dig then they say if it is safe or not.........once they give you the ok you can dig the hole yourself
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by Steve G
Don't suppose you can make that a Happy Meal??

I'll even super-size it, just so long as he stops throwing regulations in my face.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by psb182
don't know the regulations in OZ about diging but would imagine there is a company that knows where every power line and sewer, cable,gas ect is and would also imaging that company needs to give you the ok it is safe to dig where you are digging........in the USA they are called digsafe and you have to give them the location of where you are going to dig then they say if it is safe or not.........once they give you the ok you can dig the hole yourself
I was only joking... its a 30 metres trench, I am NOT digging it myself.

They have regulations here too, thats why I have to get a certified trench digger, a certified telstra phone guy, a certified foxtel guy, and a certified aircon electrician guy. All to do 1 30 metre trench with three cables running through it.

Oh and apparently I've to buy a load of McDonalds happy meals as well
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:31 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I never said I could get them. This was just talking to them on the phone, they hummed and hawwed about when they might actually get round to grace me with their presence
well when you get one send him over to Perth, of course I'll pay his expenses
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by walla1
of course I'll pay his expenses

Of course, that will only be a tiny percentage of his full charge anyway

"Wiring up a spa mate, oh three days, three mates, gotta run the wires in the pool, oh your lookin $5000 easy. But for you, I'll make it $4,900 for cash"

Last edited by A dogs life; Sep 26th 2005 at 2:41 am.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 2:37 am
Keeping it fairly real

Of course, that will only be a tiny percentage of his full charge anyway

"Wiring up a spa mate, oh three days, three mates, gotta run the wires in the pool, oh your lookin $5000 easy. But for you, I'll make it $4,900 for cash"
aye, I'm guessing it'll go something like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.