Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Difficult is it?

How Difficult is it?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice
Question How Difficult is it?

Folks

Been here 7 mths the other half is getting driven round the twist because she can't get a part-time job,all she wants is 20/25 hrs a week while the kids are school.She has sent out over 120 C.Vs.

Back in the U.K she worked for TESCO'S part-time for 11yrs,here she can't even get an inteview for COLES, WOOLIES etc all they want is kids,who most of the time just grunt at you whislt they go about there business.She really finds the whole thing frustrating to the point where the boredom of sitting about home is getting her down,and she has thought of jacking the whole thing in.

Has anyone else had similar experence?

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:33 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How Difficult is it?

Originally Posted by nevsy
Folks

Been here 7 mths the other half is getting driven round the twist because she can't get a part-time job,all she wants is 20/25 hrs a week while the kids are school.She has sent out over 120 C.Vs.

Back in the U.K she worked for TESCO'S part-time for 11yrs,here she can't even get an inteview for COLES, WOOLIES etc all they want is kids,who most of the time just grunt at you whislt they go about there business.She really finds the whole thing frustrating to the point where the boredom of sitting about home is getting her down,and she has thought of jacking the whole thing in.

Yes, my wife. She took a TAFE course in disability services and now has more work being offered, on a casual basis, than she really wants. Even if nothing comes of a TAFE course, it was well worth the $400 as far as my wife was concerned, just to get out of the house and have something with a purpose.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Folks

Apparently Australian supermarkets are so bad they can't be worth working for.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Folks

I havent but there are ways that can help. Has she got references that can be easily checked and an up to date resume? If so, then she may benefit from a day a week in volunteer work. Theres always some place that can use extra hands and after a short spell, that can be added to the resume too. If not, then a course, my sister in law was in the same predicament when she came from NZ but she did a senior first aid course and then helped out with Red Cross and that added skills to her resume that were viewed well in Australia. Thats what a lot of people do here before they can move on to paid work. Part time work is very hard to find.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Folks

hi nevsy, how's it goin?
i know exactly how your wife feels, but i finally got a part time job last week not what i'm used to as i usually do childcare but hey, anything to get me out!!!!
i also went and did a first aid course which i think looks good on cv.

hope she gets something soon
Old Sep 29th 2009, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

give bunnings a try, they are always looking for people and have a wide range of hours availible. They have various areas to work in as well, for instance its not just till work, my partner worked on their special orders desk which was a bit more involved than simple till wrk. She would take orders from tradies and the public and have to co ordinate with suppliers.

they also have lots of stores all over so there will be one near you I am sure
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Yes, my wife. She took a TAFE course in disability services and now has more work being offered, on a casual basis, than she really wants. Even if nothing comes of a TAFE course, it was well worth the $400 as far as my wife was concerned, just to get out of the house and have something with a purpose.
Ditto. Exactly what my OH did. Ad now has more work that she can poke a stick at. Good tax leverage in that job too.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 1:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

all she wants is 20/25 hrs a week while the kids are school.
I would suspect that would be the biggest problem actually. Almost every mom I know would love the exact same thing! I think those are some of the hardest jobs to find. Is she strictly looking for school hours or could she do 20/25 hours a week at random times?

If it's strictly school hours then I would suggest trying to put her name down at the kids school for a teachers assistant. Even without experience she may get the odd bit of work if they are desperate. I would suggest getting a first aid certificate as well. If she does manager to get a bit of work and likes it then she could look into getting a certificate. I wouldn't expect much work this way as she'd probably be at the bottom of their list, but it's not bad work if you can get it. The bonus is the hours are the same as the kids and she'd always have school holidays off.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Ditto. Exactly what my OH did. Ad now has more work that she can poke a stick at. Good tax leverage in that job too.
Fancy elaborating on that... wouldn't want to be missing out on some tax breaks.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:50 am
Mermaid

Hoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really niceHoola is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave99
give bunnings a try, they are always looking for people and have a wide range of hours availible.
I'd recommend you start applying at Bunnings NOW, like right now...they tend to start recruiting for Xmas at the end of Sept, it takes weeks, first phone interview, then a gorup screening & finally if you're picked an individual interview.

My hints are,
1. smile all the time, do it even when you're on the phone to them, it radiates through.
2. Be friendly, wear sensible shoes to the store at group screening, jeans & casual smart top. keep smiling, & make friends with the other people coming for group screening
3. Be prepared to answer questions about hours honestly & consistantly. If you want 15 hours say so, stick with it, it you want 30 don't be afraid to ask, If you want casual explain why & how with those hours you can always be reliable, instead of saying yes to more & not having childcare sorted etc.

I worked casual for Bunnings 5 years, they want to know several things at group screening....
you're a team player (hence make eye contact, ask questions, let other people help, include everyone in your group)
you can communicate with others & not be aurthoritative (speak politely, smile, be flexible, don't disagree with things but take time to think & answer) defer to someone else if you don't know. In the workplace you can't be expected to know about all 45000 itmes the large stores carry...but someone else will, you need to know when to answer & when to get help.
Expect the unexpected they like to see how you react in an uncomfortable situation.... don't get flustered or angry, don't ask about wages at this stage. Bunnings have their own award which is not flexible, you cannot negotiate upwards, you get put on a scale & that's it, currently casual adults get just over $22/hr period. For part timers it's less as casuals get no sick pay or holiday pay so are compensated in their hourly rate.

Apart from that, go for it. Don't be disheartened, it took me ages to get a casual school hours job, but now I have 2 & love both.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:07 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

I too worked for Sainsburys for 15 years......

Here it means nothing

So...... I suffered a job at Mc Donalds for 6 months just so I could have some Aussie work experience. It took me a while to get that interview with Woolies. Check over your answers on your online questionnaire, put that you can work every Saturday and Sunday and Evenings,, put the load you can comfortably lift repeatedly to the middle answer (20 KG??) not the 40KG 'top' answer and don't blow your own trumpet too much about the positions you have held and responsibilities. Make your covering letter (add as an attatchment) bright, cheerful and friendly adding a mention that your an enthusiastic, hard working team player (as the Bunnings reply above) and that you want to work in your local Community etc, etc....

Get your foot in the door and say start as a Casual Night-Fill. Then once there you get exposure to internal jobs, can prove your worth and hopefully weedle (is that a word? lol!) your way into the position and hours that you really want.

I find Woolies a good Company to work for. Good Luck

Jan
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Mature swimming teachers are always needed and certification and training is minimal and not very expensive. Course is 2 weekends + 20hrs work experience. Potentially good teachers are often snapped up by the instructors on the course.

Hours are usually in 2-3hr shifts and depending on the age group will be within school hours. You will have to be in the water the whole time so 20hrs may be a bit too much, more realistically 10hrs, but it is rewarding work.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:37 am
Forum Regular

nevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nicenevsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by camacazi
hi nevsy, how's it goin?
i know exactly how your wife feels, but i finally got a part time job last week not what i'm used to as i usually do childcare but hey, anything to get me out!!!!
i also went and did a first aid course which i think looks good on cv.

hope she gets something soon
Were doing alright, alot better if Ruth can stave off the boredom.Hopfully heading up your neck of the woods in a few weeks time,will drop you a pm and we may hook up for a drink or two,maybe see how long we can get the kids to stand still on a few boulders HA HA.
Hope all is well with the you all its starting to warm hows Darren sticking the heat?Its alot warmer than Kilkeel HI.

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Were doing alright, alot better if Ruth can stave off the boredom.Hopfully heading up your neck of the woods in a few weeks time,will drop you a pm and we may hook up for a drink or two,maybe see how long we can get the kids to stand still on a few boulders HA HA.
Hope all is well with the you all its starting to warm hows Darren sticking the heat?Its alot warmer than Kilkeel HI.

that would be good nevsy, daz stickin the heat ok, unlike me in work today.....god i never sweated so much in my life lol
Old Oct 5th 2009, 11:03 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Fancy elaborating on that... wouldn't want to be missing out on some tax breaks.
Sorry, missed this earlier. Basically if you work for a not for profit organisation and they are suitably "set up" (not sure of the legaliese here) as an employee you can salary sacrifice a lot of things us lesser mortals can't. e.g. mortgage, groceries. These are all paid pre tax so a saving. In this sector the maximum is $16,500 p.a. Nursing has a similar arrangement but I think its only $9K.
There have been a few threads recently about this.
My OH uses epac salary solutions whose website has info on how it works and how much you can save.
NB Not all employers offer it.