Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you secure a rental from U.K

How did you secure a rental from U.K

Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough
Default How did you secure a rental from U.K

Hi,
I guess some people managed to secure a rental in oz before they left the U.K. how did you manage that.
I have contacted a few rental agents but only get back info on open days!.

Thanks for any info Claire
Old Jun 13th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice
Default Re: How did you secure a rental from U.K

Hi Claire. From what I believe you're not allowed to secure a long term rental until you're in Oz and viewed the property. However, you can book a holiday let to tie you over when you first get there if that's an option. It's what we're doing and we booked it through aussiemove.com. These are for Perth though, where are you going ?
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

We booked ours for Perth through poms in perth but there are many other holiday letting companies. Another good one to try is www.holidaylettings.co.uk. We booked ours for 3 weeks furnished with a pool and it just gave us enough time to get cars and a rental sorted.

Even when you are here it is not easy to secure a rental straight away. You find a listing for a house you like and then you have to view it and then maybe apply for it along with the other people that might have viewed it with you. I would recommend bringing photocopies of your driving licence, passport, savings account showing how much money you may have so that they can see you can afford to pay etc. A job reference from your last employer will be usefull too. If you have all this ready it will save you loads of time messing about at the library or photocopy shop doing it when you are here.

If you are bringing a laptop with you as we did, you can buy a $10 bigpond broadband disk from their shop and use it pay as you go in your rental if there is a phone line without worrying about phone bill charges. When it runs out you can then just top it up online. It is much better than sitting in the library looking on realestate.com trawling through the rentals.

Hope this helps.

Sarah.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,we secured our longterm rental from the uk by contacting letting agents direct(going on realestate.com.au) then you get their web address and email them directly. We were allowed to rent it out as long as someone looked at it for us and sent us pics...one of my lovely expat friends did that and we had it all sorted before we arrived. We were even able to sort out electricity, phone etc before arrival which was fab as we could give our home number out to family before we left.
www.ljhooker.com.au are fab and we have never had a problem with them.

good luck

Trish
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:54 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimtrish
Hi,we secured our longterm rental from the uk by contacting letting agents direct(going on realestate.com.au) then you get their web address and email them directly. We were allowed to rent it out as long as someone looked at it for us and sent us pics...one of my lovely expat friends did that and we had it all sorted before we arrived. We were even able to sort out electricity, phone etc before arrival which was fab as we could give our home number out to family before we left.

good luck

Trish

Totally agree that is the way to do it.............where you heading for ?

cos some ppl on here have contacts who have rentals up for grabs too !!

Nudge nudge wink wink.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ShoreyM
Hi Claire. From what I believe you're not allowed to secure a long term rental until you're in Oz and viewed the property. However, you can book a holiday let to tie you over when you first get there if that's an option. It's what we're doing and we booked it through aussiemove.com. These are for Perth though, where are you going ?

Thanks for replying, I have read of a few people securing before leaving the U.K and hoped to do this, we are heading for the Gold Coast.

Originally Posted by mad.chef
We booked ours for Perth through poms in perth but there are many other holiday letting companies. Another good one to try is www.holidaylettings.co.uk. We booked ours for 3 weeks furnished with a pool and it just gave us enough time to get cars and a rental sorted.

Even when you are here it is not easy to secure a rental straight away. You find a listing for a house you like and then you have to view it and then maybe apply for it along with the other people that might have viewed it with you. I would recommend bringing photocopies of your driving licence, passport, savings account showing how much money you may have so that they can see you can afford to pay etc. A job reference from your last employer will be usefull too. If you have all this ready it will save you loads of time messing about at the library or photocopy shop doing it when you are here.

If you are bringing a laptop with you as we did, you can buy a $10 bigpond broadband disk from their shop and use it pay as you go in your rental if there is a phone line without worrying about phone bill charges. When it runs out you can then just top it up online. It is much better than sitting in the library looking on realestate.com trawling through the rentals.

Hope this helps.

Sarah.
Thanks Sarah for the tip about the laptop, just sold our house and buyers want to be in approx 6-8 weeks so suddenly trying to sort everything. I have read how difficult it is and we also have a dog which i understand may make things more difficult.
Thanks again Claire

Originally Posted by jimtrish

good luck

Trish
Hi Trish,
Thats what I hoped, I have just started finding out about letting agents and will keep at it.
I don't know anyone in Australia to check out the rental, we went and validated our visas a couple of months ago so know what area we like, will the agents not let youhave a property without it being seen ? that may cause us a problem.

Thanks for replying
Claire
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
Totally agree that is the way to do it.............where you heading for ?

cos some ppl on here have contacts who have rentals up for grabs too !!

Nudge nudge wink wink.

Hi,
We aim to be in the Gold Coast mudgeeraba way if poss mid Sept if all goes ok with house sale, we have been lucky enough to sell to people in rented who want in quick, so now trying to get sorted quick. Read about a couple of rentals going on here but I think they are for now!
Thanks for replying
Claire
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:28 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

We just put a few shouts ppl willing to check some rentals out for us..........ppl on here are amazing we had guys sitting outside places if you let estate guys now you have reps they even let you take pics too
Old Jun 16th 2008, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

suzy 1 will become famous soon enoughsuzy 1 will become famous soon enough

Hi, i put an add on gumtree and had several landlords reply, luckily i had a friend travelling in that area so she checked a couple out for us and emailed pics back. It was done on good will really as no money exchanged hands till after we arrived.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Hi Claire,

A few of the previous posters suggested renting a holiday let for when you arrive and securing a long term rental property after you arrive.

I would definitely suggest this as well. www.realestate.com.au have got links to rentals then holiday lets. For that time of year holiday lets should be quite reasonable and then give you time to get a long term rental.

I live quite close to Mudgeeraba and there are loads of holiday lets around this area. We rented a fully furnished place for the first few weeks and it worked very well.

We looked at a few places and some of them were nothing like the pictures posted when we looked at long term places.

Good luck Mick
Old Jun 17th 2008, 12:02 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katsmajics other half !!!
We just put a few shouts ppl willing to check some rentals out for us..........ppl on here are amazing we had guys sitting outside places if you let estate guys now you have reps they even let you take pics too
eh? I'm not really sure what you're talking about.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by suzy 1
Hi, i put an add on gumtree and had several landlords reply, luckily i had a friend travelling in that area so she checked a couple out for us and emailed pics back. It was done on good will really as no money exchanged hands till after we arrived.

Thanks for your reply,tricky as we don't really know anyone in the area

Claire

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Hi Claire,

A few of the previous posters suggested renting a holiday let for when you arrive and securing a long term rental property after you arrive.

I would definitely suggest this as well. www.realestate.com.au have got links to rentals then holiday lets. For that time of year holiday lets should be quite reasonable and then give you time to get a long term rental.

I live quite close to Mudgeeraba and there are loads of holiday lets around this area. We rented a fully furnished place for the first few weeks and it worked very well.

We looked at a few places and some of them were nothing like the pictures posted when we looked at long term places.

Good luck Mick

Thanks Mick,

I guess we will have to find a holiday let first, I was concerned that what looked good in a photo may be different in reality,

just hoping I could sort a long term rental as worried that we wont find a rental in time to get the dog out of quarantine, just seems too much to organise as soon as we get there. Though I now thousands already have and I'm sure we can too.
Thanks for the advice Claire
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

SweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud ofSweetGirl has much to be proud of

we stayed in a short term let on arrival and the ex pat couple we stayed with helped us with everything including getting a longer term rental house and car hire ,buying a car ,and all the other little jobs you have to do ,it was harder than we thought it would be especially as rentals can be hard to get now.Where in the gold coast are you headed we came inland abit(houses cheaper),there website is www.brisbane-relocations see if they can help you.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:03 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hunt66
Hi,
We aim to be in the Gold Coast mudgeeraba way if poss mid Sept if all goes ok with house sale, we have been lucky enough to sell to people in rented who want in quick, so now trying to get sorted quick. Read about a couple of rentals going on here but I think they are for now!
Thanks for replying
Claire

eh up we are going to be neighbours
Old Jun 18th 2008, 9:11 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hunt66
Thanks for your reply,tricky as we don't really know anyone in the area

Claire

Thanks Mick,

I guess we will have to find a holiday let first, I was concerned that what looked good in a photo may be different in reality,

just hoping I could sort a long term rental as worried that we wont find a rental in time to get the dog out of quarantine, just seems too much to organise as soon as we get there. Though I now thousands already have and I'm sure we can too.
Thanks for the advice Claire

personally i`d book a holiday let
it`ll give you chance to look at whats on offer
i`m sure weve all gone on holiday and thought
bugger the hotel looked so much better in the photographs
with a hol its only a few weeks
do this on a renter and you could be stuck for 6 / 12 months

we stayed at pelican cove resort in biggera waters its central , quite and clean and if you book for more than 28 days ( we stayed for 5 weeks ) the cost if booked via the managers is almost half of the regular charge

have a look at

http://www.wentworthresorts.com.au/pelican-cove.php

but remember if you want to book dont do it via the website
speak to the managers directly ( jenny & muzza ) and it`ll be heaps cheaper

Cnr Back & Burrows St Biggera Waters QLD 4216 ph: (07) 5537 7001

hope this helps,
looking forward to meeting you guys later this year

regards steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.