Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you pack your clothes for shipping?

How did you pack your clothes for shipping?

Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:12 am
Home at last

michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default How did you pack your clothes for shipping?

Hi all,

we are only taking a few boxes of personal items, wedding pressies, clothes, toys etc. Can anyone tell me if they used those vaccum storage bags to make more room and whether they are worth it?

also, would you pack the clothes into plastic bags/bin liners and then put in boxes?

any horror stories, good news etc stories welcome!

Michelle
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How did you pack your clothes for shipping?

Originally Posted by michellemac
Hi all,

we are only taking a few boxes of personal items, wedding pressies, clothes, toys etc. Can anyone tell me if they used those vaccum storage bags to make more room and whether they are worth it?

also, would you pack the clothes into plastic bags/bin liners and then put in boxes?

Michelle
I used the vacuum bags - but only because a lot of our things were already in them (mainly out-of-season clothes and clothes our toddler hasn't grown into yet). The packers just shoved them in one of the big boxes and wrapped them up.

Don't know how much extra room they provided though really.

Hopefully, AQIS don't mind the vacuum bags - guess I'll find out in a few days... the ship arrives on 2 May!
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:21 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
I used the vacuum bags - but only because a lot of our things were already in them (mainly out-of-season clothes and clothes our toddler hasn't grown into yet). The packers just shoved them in one of the big boxes and wrapped them up.

Don't know how much extra room they provided though really.

Hopefully, AQIS don't mind the vacuum bags - guess I'll find out in a few days... the ship arrives on 2 May!
The packers did it so fast dont know how they packed them - probably best I dont know. Our shipment is also due 2nd or 3rd of May.

Kiwi (enjoying first night on the Southbank in Melbourne)
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:25 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

we put some thing in vac bags, but need not bothered as we did have the space in the container. You don't want to put clothes in un sealed plastic bags as the shipment will go through varing (high) temps and moisture may cause mould - not a good look

The boxes have/had loads of wrapping paper (not the fancy pressie type!). Plus we had 3 boxes that had a rail in, and the packers simply transferred clothes (still on hanger) from wardrobe to box.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:32 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

We put ours in boxes and laid tissue between layers. We also put scented paper in too....didn't work, they all stank musty when they were unpacked
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:33 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michellemac
Hi all,

Michelle
I'm wearing all mine.....and making sure we fly on a very cold day...
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ours got sort of thrown in the packers boxes (folded first). They did it all. Got to this end and all came out as they went in. Didn't smell musty. All fine. I did wash them again though. Same with bedding.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I'm wearing all mine.....and making sure we fly on a very cold day...

That sounds like me i hate packing clothes my friend said just ditch all the clothes and buy a new wardrobe out there, but somehow cant see OH letting me do that LOL
Mandy
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:38 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
That sounds like me i hate packing clothes my friend said just ditch all the clothes and buy a new wardrobe out there, but somehow cant see OH letting me do that LOL
Mandy
Why not just ship the wardrobe without taking the clothes out? Problem solved...
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

One shipper advised against packing them in vacuum bags as any atmospheric moisture trapped inside may cause the clothes to go musty. Haven't decided on what we're doing yet so will watch with interest.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:48 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by marco121068
One shipper advised against packing them in vacuum bags as any atmospheric moisture trapped inside may cause the clothes to go musty. Haven't decided on what we're doing yet so will watch with interest.
Aren't vacuum bags a little small for the job in hand? Bad advice.

Our shipper told us to email our clothes. We're mulling this one over...
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marco121068
:scared: I'll let you guys know in the next couple of weeks lol
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Why not just ship the wardrobe without taking the clothes out? Problem solved...

Wardrobe attached to the wall bit difficult but good idea none the less LOL
Mandy
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:55 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Aren't vacuum bags a little small for the job in hand? Bad advice.

Our shipper told us to email our clothes. We're mulling this one over...
PMSL
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:08 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
:scared: I'll let you guys know in the next couple of weeks lol
just opened the bags that had a couple of pillows and they smell fine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.