Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did you manage to get the courage to leave loved ones!?

How did you manage to get the courage to leave loved ones!?

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you manage to get the courage to leave loved ones!?

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I am entitled to my opinion and that is what I have given, no need for a witch hunt to start. Everybody has different backgrounds and comes from different places some rich some poor, in my familys case (which is the one I have given) it's a good opportunity for us, I don't care what anybody says about how good the UK is or how it's now the land of opportunity, if I did I wouldn't be on an expats forum wanting to leave the country and neither would anybody on here.
There's no witch hunt going on, it's a public forum where people will agree, disagree or not give a monkey's People are simply explaining that exactly the same problems happening in the UK are happening in every other developed country in the world, also please don't assume you know why people decide to move from one country to another.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
There's no witch hunt going on, it's a public forum where people will agree, disagree or not give a monkey's People are simply explaining that exactly the same problems happening in the UK are happening in every other developed country in the world, also please don't assume you know why people decide to move from one country to another.
I have never mentioned or claimed to know why people leave the UK, just that most people on this forum are doing so. Sorry for the confusion
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I have never mentioned or claimed to know why people leave the UK, just that most people on this forum are doing so. Sorry for the confusion
i think i would struggle to leave family behind if they were a huge part of our lives, as it is my in laws live in Cyprus/Thailand and my parents live 5 hours drive away and i rarely see them anyway.

we don't own a home here in the UK, my hubby keeps getting kicked in teh teeth by his company and is progressing no further and i haven't progressed in my nursing for years now

Time to make a change and try something new I say.

Saying that I haven't told my parents our plans yet. My in laws are supportive but they can't really say anything as we see them maybe once a year and as they spend 6 months of the year in Thailand they are probably as likely to come and see us there as they to the UK. I think my parents might be a bit more shocked and upset as they don't really see the world as it is and are very much homebirds, i'm sure they would come and visit us though and as i am an only one they would mayeb consider moving out to Oz also
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

astonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant futureastonmartinv8 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by emigratingherberts
"I popped back for 4 days in December to see my new nephew"

For us to pop back (me and 3 kids - oh staying here) it costs just over $10,000 each time. Popping back may not be an option for everyone or even a yearly visit. Friends and family all say they will come out but when they discover the cost its a bit of a shock.

Sorry to sound negative. We are all happy here but the reality of popping back is not what it seems.
My position is that I wouldn't have come out here unless I had the resources to pop back if I wanted to. I was trying to explain how I managed being away from family and so on. It seems to me to be daft for people to intentionally put themselves in a position where they can't do something (for example go back regularly) if that's what they need to do to be happy. To me, it is a cost of being here, simple as that. Also, it isn't always necessary to take the whole family is it, especially in an emergency? (My wife didn't come with me in December due to the cost).

Last edited by astonmartinv8; Jan 22nd 2009 at 11:25 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I am very close to my mum, she brought us up on her own mainly after divorce, in the UK the last place I lived I could walk to my brothers house my mums house and my dads! and the pub ofcourse...

But life is for living! My family have never stood in my way and I have been back twice in 3 years with my mum coming out twice and again in April.

I know its easier for me, as single etc and my mum is semi retired now and can afford it.... Its still hard at times, but I don't regret it. in fact I know people think its great! I still have my nan and grandma in the UK too and write proper letters to them!

Id also like to say that my dad had cancer and a laryngectomy (sp?) last year, it was hard being here but I was lucky enough to be able to visit him in June. Thing is.... its hard anyway...wherever you are in the world s**t happens! people get ill...people die....including you! so live your life!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

I miss that real connection of being yourself amongst people who know and love you dearly - just for who you are and can make you laugh so much that your belly hurts.
totally agree! when back in the UK I notice how much more I laugh! Ozzies aren't that funny......
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:23 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fific
Have to agree with you here - also as per previous post - for me its not about independence - had that for years - it's about enjoying those really important connections that don't come along that often, as you say the beach and the sun wears thin after a while - I miss that real connection of being yourself amongst people who know and love you dearly - just for who you are and can make you laugh so much that your belly hurts.

Haven't laughed like that much since being in Oz!
Agreed, if you move just for more sunshine, then it'd be pointless.
The connection ove being amongst your own, as you put it, is something that isn't easily replaced in a different country.
People that think only of the climate in the UK don't realise that the constant sun and heat can and does get tiresome. ust another one of the reasons I go back to the UK for Christmas, a little bit of old weather is a pleasant change.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

invictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really niceinvictia is just really nice

Interesting post.
I left the UK 10 years ago this coming September, I have never been back, my Parents came out in 2003 for my daughters 10th birthday, she turns 16 next week!

You have to live YOUR life, for you and your family, they have to come first, my parents were very supportive, as we still talk on the phone or email every few weeks, people get on with their life, with or without you "round the corner" etc.,

As for that phone call, my father is in the last stages of cancer and I am waiting every day for it, but I made the decision years ago that I would not be going back, I have my family and my job, both of which need me as much as I need them, I dont feel guilty as my own family have to come first.

Airfares are expensive even just for one person, and what good would I do anyway,

Sal x
Old Feb 4th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bigdreamer22
Hi

My husband and I have been toying with the idea of moving to Oz for several years but just as I think I have reconciled myself to think about applying I just come up against the brick wall of not being able to leave my parents or in-laws.

We have two young children who adore their grandparents and spend a great amount of time with them. Our parents in turn would be devastated to saythe very least. I too am very close to my parents and they are a tremendous help - DIY, childcare, financially!!

I dream of a better life for my children - outdoor living, the beach, less negativity about life. better weather (not to spend 8 months of the year slave to the weather) but I worry that the loss and guilty of leaving family will be too great.

Everyone says that they will come out and visit but once a year is a long time waiting..and there will come a time that they won't be financially or age wise able to do that.

The problem is I spend my days here just thinking of bad points of the UK instead of just getting on with it. I wake up thinking about Oz vs UK and go to bed thinking the same. The only time I don't is when the sun shines here and I think perhaps everything in UK will be just fine (but that ain't often!! Perhaps I am sun-deprived!!)

But I worry about my parents getting old without me around. I feel sad that they wouldn't see their much loved grandchildren grow up but at the same time will I spend my life regretting it if I stay here. :curse:

I guess my question is - how did you do it? And is there anyone for whom it was too much and couldn't do.
z
just get on with your your life if thats in oz. so be it F F S