Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How did it all started?

How did it all started?

Old Aug 10th 2004, 10:59 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light
Default How did it all started?

How did it all started?

How did you decided or reached to the conclusion that it was time to have a new life somewhere in australia or new zeland? How long did it took from 0 to the point of having the visa. How did you manage to wait?

As you all ( well some of you ) know im 22 and keen to “start� a new life in Australia but due to being so young not having much work experience no trade qualifications I will have to wait a few more years before I can log an application, and if everything goes well in 3/4 years time it should be my turn ( ill be 25/26 by then ).

Im not sure how I will survive waiting 3/4 years but to help the matter I will try and book a holiday to Oz every year ( plus when i was in Oz last time i bought heaps of books about Oz history, society etc... to try and build my knowledge)… My next holiday being in February.

I understand that everything takes time ( and these 3/4 years will allow me to save and prepare financially for a move, since im still living with parent and workin), but it is frustrating in my opinion when you have so many dreams and plans to accomplish but until you can do any of them you have to wait.

Regards,
Pedro

Last edited by Boomerang; Aug 10th 2004 at 11:02 am.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How did it all started?

Hey Pedro, for us it started off as light hearted banter, then it bacame serious conversation and we agreed to look into it.
We spent some time looking into various ways and means of going and decided it could be the right move for us.No-one can say for sure if it WILL be for them but you know in your heart your own desires.
And fair play to anyone that actually has the balls to take that risk and go through with a move like this.

We decided to go in september / october of last year and with some good luck along the way, we are now ready, living in this caravan with another 6 days to wait.

We have waited no where near as long as most have to wait but it still feels like an age to us and these final days now are really strange and surreal.One minute your panicking about the flights or what you've forgotten to do and the next you're sitting back waiting.

Good luck with your plans, i hope they all come true for you.

Paul.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 11:42 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello mate,

I've wanted to move to Oz since I was a kid. My Mum was raised their, although never had a passport. My Grandfather was there from 1935, and also never got passport, so strong family links meant my parents tried to emigrate when I was four about 25 years ago.

Unfortunately my Dad's job fell through and we never went.

Having been brought up on tales of the place from my Mum, I spent 1 year on WHV and 9 months on various holidays visa's and just loved it even more than I thought I would, so at 24, I decided to go the long route like you, and qualify in a profession that would get me there. It took four/ five years from that point, but we now have PR and are going out at the end of the year.

So if you're gonna do the hard slog, pick something you like, make sure it's good enough to get you there and start studying/ working.

Good luck,

Paul.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 12:03 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Well ive always wanted to go (since i was about 16) but never really got around to doing it, then g/friends got involved and i was always talked out of it
then my nan fell i'll who i was very close to and died about 8 years ago and that sort of freed me from staying here (even though i will miss my mum, she can handle it) but yet again the g'friend of the time was not interested.
so about 6 years ago met my fiancee and just sort of banded the question about but got no real joy then we where in Bali about 2 yrs ago (yes when the bomb went off) but we met loads of Aussies round the pool and then One day sam just turned round and said "Ok lets do it" so we came back and had an agent within 2 weeks and 18 months later we have just done our medicals ..

so fingers crossed and we will be Oz bound soon

S
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:34 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Thank's for the replies so far.

It's nice reading what other members have gone through so i know what to expect. The expats groups has been a great source of information and advice and good laughs as well and no dought it will contribute to my success. Hard work awaits me but it will be worth it in the end.

Hoo-Roo ( i heard its and ancient or aboriginal way of saying goodbye? Am i right? ) for now
Pedro
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:35 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Good luck ...
I hope it all goes well for you
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:38 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stephenwhite68
Good luck ...
I hope it all goes well for you
Stephen,

Sorry if I've got the wrong bloke, but did you have a follow up to your medical last week?

Paul.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:46 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Jeez some of you really have been through the long slog haven't you, Good on you for persevering and good luck to all who have still got a lot of work and waiting ahead.

I had it weasy really, never really though much of moving anywhere overseas I have family in Oz and always new I would take a holiday but that would have been it.

Then 3 years ago I got a free drink off the barman, now we are married and off to live in his home town.

Kala
Old Aug 10th 2004, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

We'd thought about it over the years but always put it on the back burner, it wasn't until we got married in Tobago in 2002 that we seriously talked about it, that was it, two weeks later we were back in drizzly England and decided that it was now or never. We got hold of Global Visas, and have never looked back, its taken us about 18 months from start to finish, we now have our visas and fly out on 7th September, best of luck with your quest
Really nice thread by the way, i enjoy seeing other people reasons for wanting a life somewhere other than than their homeland
Rach x
Old Aug 10th 2004, 5:58 pm
G'day Mate

Thumbs up Re: How did it all started?

Really nice thread by the way, i enjoy seeing other people reasons for wanting a life somewhere other than than their homeland
Same here

Not only it gives knowledge but in my opinion it gives me moral support reading this kind of threads.

Then 3 years ago I got a free drink off the barman, now we are married and off to live in his home town.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

sue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura aboutsue_parker has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Boomerang
How did it all started?

How did you decided or reached to the conclusion that it was time to have a new life somewhere in australia or new zeland? How long did it took from 0 to the point of having the visa. How did you manage to wait?

As you all ( well some of you ) know im 22 and keen to “start� a new life in Australia but due to being so young not having much work experience no trade qualifications I will have to wait a few more years before I can log an application, and if everything goes well in 3/4 years time it should be my turn ( ill be 25/26 by then ).

Im not sure how I will survive waiting 3/4 years but to help the matter I will try and book a holiday to Oz every year ( plus when i was in Oz last time i bought heaps of books about Oz history, society etc... to try and build my knowledge)… My next holiday being in February.

I understand that everything takes time ( and these 3/4 years will allow me to save and prepare financially for a move, since im still living with parent and workin), but it is frustrating in my opinion when you have so many dreams and plans to accomplish but until you can do any of them you have to wait.

Regards,
Pedro

I went to Oz in 1995 as a companion to my mother when we went to visit my sisters. My husband had given me permission which was a miracle in itself. I loved the place so much, I came back to England and divorced my husband. I then went to college for a year to gain some qualifications because I was a housewife and mother. I studied nursing for 3 years at university and qualified in 1999. I bought a house to make sure I would have some money to take with me and I have finally persuaded my ex to let me take my children to Australia. So my application is now in and I am waiting to hear from Adelaide. Its been a hard slog but I know it will be worth it. Anything is possible if you really want the prize. Good luck!
Old Aug 10th 2004, 7:48 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by sue_parker
I went to Oz in 1995 as a companion to my mother when we went to visit my sisters. My husband had given me permission which was a miracle in itself. I loved the place so much, I came back to England and divorced my husband. I then went to college for a year to gain some qualifications because I was a housewife and mother. I studied nursing for 3 years at university and qualified in 1999. I bought a house to make sure I would have some money to take with me and I have finally persuaded my ex to let me take my children to Australia. So my application is now in and I am waiting to hear from Adelaide. Its been a hard slog but I know it will be worth it. Anything is possible if you really want the prize. Good luck!
Good on yer Sue. Good luck with the application.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:02 pm
CON
Banned

CON is on a distinguished road

For us it has been on the cards for a few years but it was always "in a few years" then last summer while talking it over we decided to go for it and submit an application for a spouse visa. We got all the documents required and sent it all off and got the visa granted 3 Weeks later. Moving to Australia for us is going to be a dream come true.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 8:08 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Well we've been talking for years about moving 'somewhere else'. We've always felt we didn't really belong here (which I know makes no sense but there you are ....). During last summer a friend came to stay with us (who spent a year on a WHV a few years back) and regailed us with his stories of all the stuff he got up to and people he met! Another seed planted.
The idea of moving abroad kept coming and going, with various places mentioned as possibilities. We kept saying 'in a few years' and 'at some point in the future'. In January this year, we went for a drink (or seventeen ) with a mate whose girlfriend is from the Gold Coast - he had just come back from a month there - and mid-afternoon over the umpteenth vodka-Red Bull we said 'Let's do it!'.
Next morning it still seemed like a good idea so we started looking into it. Since then we've spent time looking in to all the rules and regs, etc and getting hooked to this site.
Old Aug 10th 2004, 9:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
Hello mate,
I've wanted to move to Oz since I was a kid. My Mum was raised their, although never had a passport. My Grandfather was there from 1935, and also never got passport, so strong family links meant my parents tried to emigrate when I was four about 25 years ago.
It wasn't possible to get Australian citizenship in 1935 as Australia and the UK at the time shared a common nationality. Australian citizenship was only introduced on 26th January 1949.

British subjects (ie those from Commonwealth countries) who lived in Australia from 26 Jan 1944 to 26 Jan 1949 automatically became Australian citizens on that date (26.01.49)

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.