Reload this Page >

How cool is Manly???

How cool is Manly???

Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

IpswichToSydney is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How cool is Manly???

Cool look forward to it,

One of the reasons we chose Fairlight is that it can get a bit noisy at night in the heart of Manly, to be expected if you think how many backpackers etc there are. Like you guys we are only a few minutes out of the action but away from the noise, seems like the sensible option I think :-)

Look forward to hearing from you,
Chad and Sharon

Originally Posted by Alan&Sonia
Okay - that would be good, speak to you closer to the time. Shame about the guy in the living hell in Manly. We used to live in East Esplanade and used to get the noise from the Wharf bar hitting our apartment building, I used to go to bed with ear plugs in on a Saturday night. We moved to Balgowlah (and can still see the sea) and it is so quiet, but only a 5 minute drive if you want a night out.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 11:36 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree. Manly is beautiful. But i'd only live there if i worked over that side. Yes its close to the city by ferry. But the ferry stops around midnight.(i think) So if you are out for the night in the city or around that area. Then its expensive to get a taxi home. So it does have many many things going for it. But not everything. Personally i'd stay on the city side that way i have more options for work and going out. You can always pop over for the day if you want. Just my opinion.
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Hi Manly Monkeys

Maybe we shoudl all meet for a pre-Christmas drink on 3rd December, at the Ivanhoe Hotel? Is anyone up for that?

Bye for now ..
hi Alan and Sonia,
We are always up for a few ! count us in, let us know what time your meeting, see you all there!

Fiona and Nick
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

manlymonkeys is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by igual
hi Alan and Sonia,
We are always up for a few ! count us in, let us know what time your meeting, see you all there!

Fiona and Nick
Sounds good to us, let us know!
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Alan&Sonia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by igual
hi Alan and Sonia,

Fiona and Nick
Okay, what about 8 o'clock on 3rd December, in the Ivanhoe in the Corso, how does that sound to everyone?
Old Nov 22nd 2004, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Alan&Sonia is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: How cool is Manly???

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
Hi Alan and Sonia,
I totally agree with you. Manly is a great place. We have everything we need close by. Just a ferry ride to the city but a far enough away to be relaxed and laid back with the beaches, the watersports and the walks etc . Congratulations on your one year in Oz.
Heather and Tim are you going to meet us for a pre-christmas drink too?
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

Okay, what about 8 o'clock on 3rd December, in the Ivanhoe in the Corso, how does that sound to everyone?
sounds good, see you there!

Fiona and Nick
Old Nov 25th 2004, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond reputeIan12 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay - that would be good, speak to you closer to the time. Shame about the guy in the living hell in Manly. We used to live in East Esplanade and used to get the noise from the Wharf bar hitting our apartment building, I used to go to bed with ear plugs in on a Saturday night. We moved to Balgowlah (and can still see the sea) and it is so quiet, but only a 5 minute drive if you want a night out.
Would love to meet up if there is an ex pat get together. We are just up the hill from Manly in Belrose. Have just arrive in the last two weeks. Keen to meet new folks.

Ian
Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:04 pm
Coogee Rocks

not that fond of Manly...but I don't live there so what do I no!

I prefer the eastern beaches.. Tamarama, coogee, Bondi, Bronte.
I recommend doing the costal walk from Coogee/Marobra to Bondi.

Coggee gets a bit noisey in the summer with hoards of backpackers 2.. but its ok if your not close to the Coogee Bay Hotel!

Old Nov 25th 2004, 2:42 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Coogee Rocks
not that fond of Manly...but I don't live there so what do I no!

I prefer the eastern beaches.. Tamarama, coogee, Bondi, Bronte.
I recommend doing the costal walk from Coogee/Marobra to Bondi.

Coggee gets a bit noisey in the summer with hoards of backpackers 2.. but its ok if your not close to the Coogee Bay Hotel!
We used to think the same. Last time we were here we got a unit in Bondi for 6 months and loved it. Visited Manly a few times and hated it's cheap and tacky tourist side.

Coming back we thought we would head back to the eastern subs, and took a 2 week rental in Tamarama. Although we loved the beaches and coastal walk it wasn't the same as before.

We moved in to the city (Kirribilli) for 6 months but were forced to move on. Now settled at the end of Manly beach and it's great. Close enough to enjoy the social scene but far enough to avoid the problems. We're complete converts to the northern beaches now.
Old Nov 25th 2004, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Manly Gashead is an unknown quantity at this point

Spent two years living in Coogee and loved every minute of it. We have now lived in Manly for four months and love it even more. Lets face it there are dozens of areas of Sydney where you could be happy - preferably by the ocean and especially on a day like today where there is not a cloud in the sky.
The one thing I prefer about the Northern Beaches to Coogee / Bondi is that I feel I actually live in Australia! The Eastern Suburbs can be a bit Little England / Ireland / Kiwiland, whereas I don't feel that now. Admittedly there are plenty of us poms in Manly, but 5 mins drive north up to place like Dee Why, Collaroy, Narrabeen etc you feel like you are in Australia and I love that!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

big stu is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here 8 years. We bought our 4 bed house 6 years ago for $400,000.
The same arguments about the expense went on then but we stuck our neck out and now its fine. It does cost a bit more to live here but the benefits are well worth it. The best climate and amenities etc. We live 10-15 mins drive from Manly. Hope that helps

done well on that little transaction - i`m also a manly expat - been here 5 years tomorrow!!

can`t beat manly - walks all over BONDI !!
Old Nov 25th 2004, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Heather and Tim are you going to meet us for a pre-christmas drink too?
Thanks Sonia I am sure we can make it too. Nice to see all the Manly folks coming out of the woodwork. Maybe a few more will make it to the Ivanhoe .
Old Nov 25th 2004, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ascot Berks(06.04) to Cronulla nr Sydney back to Ascot (04.05)
Rosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really niceRosie n family is just really nice

Thanks Sonia I am sure we can make it too. Nice to see all the Manly folks coming out of the woodwork. Maybe a few more will make it to the Ivanhoe .
Im sure we'll be up for it and I think I can twist Rumbletum's arm, Soapy never misses an excuse for
Look forward to it
Rosie
Old Nov 25th 2004, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

We normally go out on a Friday night at 5-6pm. How about meeting a bit earlier. Say 7pm. What does everyone think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.