Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How cold is Melbourne Today - Freezing

How cold is Melbourne Today - Freezing

Old May 10th 2006, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How cold is Melbourne Today - Freezing

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Got to 15 yesterday in Durham hopefully will be more today.
When you say it is freezing in Melbourne do you need winter coats (thick coats) hats, gloves and scarves?
As from Autumn here we need them and im trying to work out how cold it gets in relation to where i live?
Mandy
I need a scarf, but not a real winter overcoat. Hat maybe and not gloves yet. Temp is OK around 15, but what they don't tell you about in the UK is the biting wind that comes in from Antartica. Wind chill is the problem here, not temperature. Also a lot of locals are telling me that this year we seem to have bypassed Autumn and gone straight into winter, but from Dec to end March we had 4 months of fantastic weather, which you could never say about England !
Old May 10th 2006, 9:53 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

When you say it is freezing in Melbourne do you need winter coats (thick coats) hats, gloves and scarves?
As from Autumn here we need them and im trying to work out how cold it gets in relation to where i live?
Mandy
You will sometimes but not often.although Rachel is wearing a coat indoors as we speak
Old May 10th 2006, 9:57 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
Ive been walking around in a t-shirt and sweattop. And no I am not from Newcastle - otherwise I';d be wearing a singlet and still loving Melbourne

Call this Autumn? feels like a UK Spring
Old May 10th 2006, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
Ive been walking around in a t-shirt and sweattop. And no I am not from Newcastle - otherwise I';d be wearing a singlet and still loving Melbourne

Call this Autumn? feels like a UK Spring

That helps me understand how cold it is .Hubby always knows when it is cold for me , the bed socks come out !
Thanks
Mandy
Old May 10th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
The last three years people have posted that they are still walking on the beach in May!
My Aussie friends are all complaining that its now cold for the time of year.
Mandy -It will depend where you live in Melb. but in the centre it can be 5c occasionally colder, once last winter they had frost on the cars which is unusual. Yes you do need to take coats and scarves for winter time.
Old May 10th 2006, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helinuk
The last three years people have posted that they are still walking on the beach in May!
My Aussie friends are all complaining that its now cold for the time of year.
Mandy -It will depend where you live in Melb. but in the centre it can be 5c occasionally colder, once last winter they had frost on the cars which is unusual. Yes you do need to take coats and scarves for winter time.

Thanks but hopefully not wearing them for as long as in the NE, ive only just stopped wearing my winter coat this week. Oct to end of APR is a long time to feel cold, cant wait to have the the warmth and a milder winter.
Mandy
Old May 10th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but hopefully not wearing them for as long as in the NE, ive only just stopped wearing my winter coat this week. Oct to end of APR is a long time to feel cold, cant wait to have the the warmth and a milder winter.
Mandy
I agree with you Mandy -I live in Surrey and I can't wait to go to Melbourne to live!
For now and until we find a way to get to oz I have to be content here.
I'm off to enjoy the sunshine and a walk around Wisley gardens then lunch out-
Helen
Old May 10th 2006, 12:30 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Is someone winding you up? "Biting wind that comes in from Antarctica"? I've lived here for 5 years now (this is my 6th winter) and I've never experienced any wind chill remotely similar to what we used to get in SE England ...

Agreed that we seem to have gone straight into winter though.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by Izzy
I need a scarf, but not a real winter overcoat. Hat maybe and not gloves yet. Temp is OK around 15, but what they don't tell you about in the UK is the biting wind that comes in from Antartica. Wind chill is the problem here, not temperature. Also a lot of locals are telling me that this year we seem to have bypassed Autumn and gone straight into winter, but from Dec to end March we had 4 months of fantastic weather, which you could never say about England !
Old May 10th 2006, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Don't suppose you get much wind in those heated offices ! Try standing outside all day !
Old May 10th 2006, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Andycroswell
Just waddled along Bourke Street, avoiding the stupid spruikers and the guy with the boring voice who reads from the bible - Its freezing out there !!!
Myers in Cairns has a range of gloves and woolly hats if you cant get any in Melbourne. I dont think they will sell many here.

WW
Old May 10th 2006, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Is someone winding you up? "Biting wind that comes in from Antarctica"? I've lived here for 5 years now (this is my 6th winter) and I've never experienced any wind chill remotely similar to what we used to get in SE England ...

Best regards.
Last autumn was glorious - think I blinked and missed this one.

Re the wind...gets a bit chilly near the sea here, but like you say nothing compared to that experienced in the UK...that biting, damp wind....we used to live up a hill, and the wind would race straight through us.

Winter is positively (UK) spring-like here
Old May 10th 2006, 3:53 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

It was only a few months ago if you had walked down Bourke street it was like someone blowing a hairdryer in your face it was such a warm wind.
Melbourne has seasons thats part of the charm.

You won't need to scrape the ice off your windscreen in the mornings or carry a shovel in the boot in case you get snowed in but yes it can get quite cool during the day.

I wouldn't swap it for any other city though.
Old May 10th 2006, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan Collett

Best regards.
Aye. To put it in context, Melbourne is about as close to the south pole as Athens is to the north pole.
Old May 10th 2006, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it does seem to have gone straight from summer to winter this year! Last year we were down the great ocean road in April, had temps up to 30 deg, and enjoyed time on the beach! This year was lovely until the end of march then we seem to have gone straight to below 20 deg temps. Yesterday was quite cold - I think the local weather forecast said the high was 15 deg, although now at 7am its about 6 deg! Out and about I generally only need to wear a cardigan though and last winter I think I wore a fleece about twice.
Old May 10th 2006, 10:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Mandy
In mid winter in Melbourne I wear one fleece over my workshirt, or a jumper over a shirt. Coats are a pain in the arse.

That's it. A scarf and a winter coat might be required at the football.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.