Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How clean is clean for AQIS

How clean is clean for AQIS

Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:56 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice
Exclamation How clean is clean for AQIS

I am hoping that someone can answer my problem. I am a fitter and have an absolute mountain of tools. Obviously they are going to have to be cleaned before I send them, but not sure as to how clean they have to be. I will be sending them by airfreight as I'll need them pretty soon after arriving in Brisbane.
Does anyone know the standard for AQIS, and is the standard the same for airfreight as it is for container shipment. Please bear in mind that they are engineering tools. Any advice would help.

Neil.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: How clean is clean for AQIS

Hi,

We didnt have a load of tools, just the usual stuff most homeowners have.
i cleaned all of them with jeyes fluid (yukky, nasty stuff). the spanners, hammers, screwdrivers, even the electric sander. It all got through ok.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neil.b
I am hoping that someone can answer my problem. I am a fitter and have an absolute mountain of tools. Obviously they are going to have to be cleaned before I send them, but not sure as to how clean they have to be. I will be sending them by airfreight as I'll need them pretty soon after arriving in Brisbane.
Does anyone know the standard for AQIS, and is the standard the same for airfreight as it is for container shipment. Please bear in mind that they are engineering tools. Any advice would help.

Neil.
Not 100% sure but it isn't cleanliness that they are after it is the removal of dirt, grass, food and things like that?
Old Feb 14th 2005, 1:19 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

http://www.affa.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014

might be worth checking the small print...
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, we were advised by a PSS guy not to use Jayes but for tools etc the best thing is something called Virkon SE. You can get it at animal feed wholesalers.

Saying that anyone who has used Jayes seems to have got their stuff through with no probs. Just not sure it works well with tools
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:32 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Neil.

Hiya Neil,

The dishwasher may be one option, not as mad as it sounds!
Easy option

You could use a rag & bleach solution, cheeper and easier.
Bleach cost 85 p /5litres at Lidle.

The rest need to have the organic stuff removed, that's what it's all about.

Bye
Mark
Old Feb 14th 2005, 8:06 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Hi,

We didnt have a load of tools, just the usual stuff most homeowners have.
i cleaned all of them with jeyes fluid (yukky, nasty stuff). the spanners, hammers, screwdrivers, even the electric sander. It all got through ok.
Thanks for the idea. Just don't relish the thought of cleaning over 2000 individual items by hand. But if that what it takes, I'd better roll my sleeves up and get going.

Neil
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

My husband also brought his tools with him and if I remember correctly, he tried to get rid of any rust on them with a wire brush or something.

He washed some with soap and water, took the rest into work and put them in some sort of cleaner/acid stuff to get the crap off them.

Didn't bother with Jayes or anything.

We had no problems.

Mandy
Old Feb 15th 2005, 6:13 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the idea. Just don't relish the thought of cleaning over 2000 individual items by hand. But if that what it takes, I'd better roll my sleeves up and get going.

Neil
LET me assure you that AQIS are only worried about SOIL or VEG/PLANT contamination.................. mm
Old Feb 15th 2005, 8:49 pm
paradise in the redlands

Originally Posted by mr mover
LET me assure you that AQIS are only worried about SOIL or VEG/PLANT contamination.................. mm
Thanks for that. Should save me a lot of time.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:48 pm
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a very ancient and much loved stone bird bath (sad or wot) that we want to take with us. Can anyone reccomend anything suitable to get it AQIS clean? Its got a bit of moss at the base but otherwise in fairly good nick. Also got the regulation Belfast Sink with herbs in at moment, although they are being taken out of it tomorrow.

Any help....?

Thanks, Mrs Muppet
Old Feb 15th 2005, 9:54 pm
paradise in the redlands

Thumbs up Re: How clean is clean for AQIS

Originally Posted by mrsmuppet
I have a very ancient and much loved stone bird bath (sad or wot) that we want to take with us. Can anyone reccomend anything suitable to get it AQIS clean? Its got a bit of moss at the base but otherwise in fairly good nick. Also got the regulation Belfast Sink with herbs in at moment, although they are being taken out of it tomorrow.

Any help....?

Thanks, Mrs Muppet
Something like Brick acid should clean it, (available from builders merchants), but I would try it on a small area first. Should be ok on the Belfast sink though.

Neil.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:04 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Any help....?

Thanks, Mrs Muppet
just use a kitchen scour pad, as long as there is no dirt [soil] or vegetable matter visible you will be ok.............. mm
Old Feb 15th 2005, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Any help....?

Thanks, Mrs Muppet

We used a pressure cleaner to clean our bird bath and bird table – it did a great job and our stuff sailed through its inspection.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:59 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Any help....?

Thanks, Mrs Muppet

Your not mad, bought ours with us, jet washed it and bought a dustbin (new.clean) and put all sorts of garden things in there, including the bird bath, they got checked and got the thumbs up.

Hubbies tools on the other hand, I asked him to make sure they were clean clean clean and he said he had cleaned them all, they arrived here and passed and when I looked at them, bloody hell they looked like they had been in a muddy puddle, hubbies idea of cleaning well not at all sprung to mind, how they passed is anyones idea.

Another one, I found a pine cone!!!!! yep thought I had got rid of all of those sorts of things and lo and behold a drawer had one in, our packers did leave some drawers full, the sorts of bitty bits that you cant really put a description on, none got checked.

Hubby is working in international removals now and said that they purely go on what is written down on the inventory list, he said if you put kitchen etc it will be checked, if you put kitchen glasware, no one will ever check, he said that the way round some things is to be sparse with the truth of whats in the boxes, they just packaged somebodies up who wanted to put food items in the owner wouldn't have it when they said it can't go out of state so they put "kitchen items" on the box knowing it would get checked.

He did say that any box with "misc" on it will now be checked... dunno if that is just Perth or what.

Jenny