Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How certain were you of emigrating to Oz?

Wikiposts

How certain were you of emigrating to Oz?

Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How certain were you of emigrating to Oz?

Originally Posted by lme30005
<snip> On the one hand, I think lets go and experience something new in the sun and have a different lifestyle.
What different lifestyle? What do you, hand on heart, think is going to be so different about your lifestyle in Australia? Your spouse will still go to work every day, your kids will still go to school every day, you'll pay bills, grocery shop, do housework, and all the other stuff you do on a daily basis now. Australia is not anything that different from any other first world country.

I like living in Australia for the most part, but I also realise that it is not anything special. We have crime and bogans (chavs) and bad weather too. It's not all sun & sand and 'Wanted Down Under'.

The 457 is not a permanent visa and you must realise that at the end of the 4 years (or sooner if your partner's employment ends) you will be going home unless either your employer sponsors you for PR or you qualify another way. The 457 does not lead to PR.

FWIW I think that if you are both not at least 75% committed to making it work then it's a recipe for disappointment.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:46 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am new here and in a dilemma. My husband has a good job offer in Sydney which would mean we were financially better off there and good for his CV. I've always been keen to live abroad but now I'm not so sure.

I'm probably about 40% wanting to go but is this enough? Should I be really wanting to go, so if times are tough over there, it will all seem worth it?

The children/education/leaving behind friends and family are the things stopping me wanting to go. But financially/career wise it would be good to go.

Need to make such a massive decision in the next week so any positive Sydney thoughts would be good, as I've never been there or have a clue what it's like.

TIA

Louise
Very certain, although that didn't mean that we didn't have a little wobble once or twice before we left. That's only to be expected. Gut feeling took over and we instinctively knew we were doing the right thing.

Four and a half years later and it's still the best decision we've ever made and we intend to stay.

Have a go at Sydney but if it's not to your taste don't judge the whole country by one city, there's so much on offer in Australia that it's well worthwhile having a look around at other places too.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I am new here and in a dilemma. My husband has a good job offer in Sydney which would mean we were financially better off there and good for his CV. I've always been keen to live abroad but now I'm not so sure.

I'm probably about 40% wanting to go but is this enough? Should I be really wanting to go, so if times are tough over there, it will all seem worth it?

The children/education/leaving behind friends and family are the things stopping me wanting to go. But financially/career wise it would be good to go.

Need to make such a massive decision in the next week so any positive Sydney thoughts would be good, as I've never been there or have a clue what it's like.

TIA

Louise
Hi, welcome to the forum. As usual, you will get a range of answers to questions. The first time OH and I went to Oz we were reasonably sure, but not 100%. But we were much younger then and no kids so it was an easier decision - if it didn't work out, we could always come back. We had 13 fabulous years in Melbourne and loved it. We're looking at going back again in the near future, with kids, but we have the advantage of knowing what we're going to.

As others have said, if you can look on it as a temporary adventure with a "get out" clause, then why not give it a go. You need to check the conditions of OH's job carefully - ie. if they're paying expenses is he then committed to staying for a certain amount of time.

Negotiate with OH that if either of you is seriously unhappy, you will talk about other options. We are currently stuck somewhere we don't want to be, and it sucks.

Best of luck with the decision-making .