Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HOW BAD IS IT REALLY????

HOW BAD IS IT REALLY????

Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all
Default HOW BAD IS IT REALLY????

Hello all,

is it me or is it so bad in perth?

i currently live in solihull, the 4th most expensive town in the uk-very posh evan tough i am not a 3 bed terrace house cost about 450 AU$ or £180,000 and thats in the rough part ! or a 3 bed detatched around $680,000 surely you can get better than this in perth or surrounding areas? or do you really have to be a millionaire to buy a property because some people make it out as if you have to be??
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:50 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: HOW BAD IS IT REALLY????

Originally Posted by bluenose27
Hello all,

i currently live in solihull, the 4th most expensive town in the uk-very posh evan tough i am not a 3 bed terrace house cost about 450 AU$ or £180,000 and thats in the rough part ! or a 3 bed detatched around $680,000 surely you can get better than this in perth or surrounding areas? or do you really have to be a millionaire to buy a property because some people make it out as if you have to be??
A 4x2 in a decent area in Perth will cost you around $400, 000+++++++ anything lower will be a cow shed.

The houses are not built very good either. Not solid enough.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

bluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to allbluenose27 is a name known to all

well id say a 4x2 is better than a 3x1 terrace , i work as a chippie on new build in the uk, in brum and a cardboard box 1 bed flat would get you exactly the same for your money ,and that in an area full of guns and crack heads! no wonder so many people are looking to emigrate ! i would pay double that do live in a decent area in perth where eventually i can bring up kids in a more civilised enviroment.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:24 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

well id say a 4x2 is better than a 3x1 terrace , i work as a chippie on new build in the uk, in brum and a cardboard box 1 bed flat would get you exactly the same for your money ,and that in an area full of guns and crack heads! no wonder so many people are looking to emigrate ! i would pay double that do live in a decent area in perth where eventually i can bring up kids in a more civilised enviroment.

I think your right im from Ireland and the house prices here are mental you would only get a tiny house in the city crammed in a housing estate were you can here every thing going on next door for 400,000 euro thats about £600,000 mad money when we can go over to Australia and get a 4 bed house 2 bathrooms and a garage that fits one to two cars for about $370,000 upwards depending on how close to the sea you want to live but another bonus is that you get a good sized garden and the house
is detached and if your really lucky you can sit on your balcony and watch kangaroo's in your garden not to mention all the other wild life you get to see
oh yea and lets not forget the sun we are settling in Brisbane on the sunshine coast so im talking about the house prices there
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

It also depends on how willing you are to travel etc. We live outside of Perth. 4x2 are about 450k upwards. I don't mean to disagree but everything we looked at near Perth was 600k upwards and 3x2 or 3x1. Its the suburbs outside of Perth that are cheaper.

I think you have to be willing to travel 25mins + to get things for 400's. Thats jsut my opinion.

Take a look at a map and realestate.com.au

Obvioulsy you have to consider that a really nice house on the web might be in a cheaper area and you won't know that until you shop around a bit.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

It is very much a buyer's market at present.

For want of a better term....... prices have gone bloody stupid here in Perth, but there are plenty of bargains still to be had............. don't be put off by all the rhetoric you hear.

Hopefully it won't be too long before vendors come to their senses and the market balances out then things can quickly return back to normal.

I did an appraisal last week and came in at $4.3m to maybe at a push $4.4m. Vendor just rang to say she won't accept a penny less than $6.0m. I've spent ages working on this project; have taken hundreds of photos, done heaps of research........... only to be gazumped by the vendor.

What a quandary........... do I take on the prestigious but over-inflated listing and get my name up in lights?

Or should I just sing.............."A candy-coloured clown they call the sandman
................Tiptoes to my room every night..........Just to sprinkle stardust and to whisper..............Go to sleep...... everything is all right???????????"
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:48 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bobcat

Since you are the estate agent do you see anything happening like in the Uk in the late 80's when house price rose so quickly and then crashed and people ended up with negative equity its just I see a similar pattern starting to emerge, and it kind of worries me about actually buying when we get there.

Go on stick your neck on the line is it possible

Kaye x
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Wait less than 12months, and buy on the crash, which is now a dead set certainty to happen in both the UK and Aus. It will be a fantastic time to change up.

You probably can't go wrong at present.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Baby75
I think your right im from Ireland and the house prices here are mental you would only get a tiny house in the city crammed in a housing estate were you can here every thing going on next door for 400,000 euro thats about £600,000 mad money when we can go over to Australia and get a 4 bed house 2 bathrooms and a garage that fits one to two cars for about $370,000 upwards depending on how close to the sea you want to live but another bonus is that you get a good sized garden and the house
is detached and if your really lucky you can sit on your balcony and watch kangaroo's in your garden not to mention all the other wild life you get to see
oh yea and lets not forget the sun we are settling in Brisbane on the sunshine coast so im talking about the house prices there
Er, call me Mr Picky, but I think you've got your exchange rate the wrong way round! 600,000 Euro is about £400,000.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Why do you want to go to Perth Particulary?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:02 pm
Banned

cufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant futurecufc has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Rabc
Why do you want to go to Perth Particulary?
As most of australia is more civilised than the racist redneck town of Townsville and yes i have lived there...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:15 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cufc
As most of australia is more civilised than the racist redneck town of Townsville and yes i have lived there...

Quite like Townsville myself.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 1:55 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Quite like Townsville myself.
Me to
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cufc
Glad you didnt stay as I am sure eveyone else is here!

For those with brain. I wondered why so many expats move directly to Perth. Almost everyone seems to head there. I have never visited myself and often wonder why that was. Weather, economy, community?

D*ickheads need not reapply
Old Jul 27th 2007, 10:54 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rabc
Glad you didnt stay as I am sure eveyone else is here!

For those with brain. I wondered why so many expats move directly to Perth. Almost everyone seems to head there. I have never visited myself and often wonder why that was. Weather, economy, community?

D*ickheads need not reapply
I think affordability in the housing market is one of the big factors that influence choice of destination.

Back in 2000/2001 everyones favourite destination was Sydney. Sydney then saw house prices rise exponentially, with Melbourne, the second favourite destination, also closely following the trend set on the eastern shores.

For a couple of years Perth had a drastically cheaper housing market than the rest of the capital cities, and every second person on this forum was heading out there. I think people saw it as the next best most affordable city. But that's definitely not the case anymore in Perth. The median house price/salary ratio puts Perth just behind Sydney, and there's a noticeable decrease in people heading out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.