Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad is this? (no humour)

Wikiposts

How bad is this? (no humour)

Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:53 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Best of luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Statue to a critic? There are statues of Mark Twain and he was a critic (and writer...)

What did the Romans ever do for us...
Ta!

And Samuel Clemens was a 'Do-er', not just a critic.

Romans? Roads, for starters. Especially in the UK.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad is this? (no humour)

Originally posted by chippy
I've noticed you're not on here much Whisky.....is it because of some of the things pointed out in the Hevs post?

To be honest Chippy, I don't really have a lot of time to be on here, which is one of the main reasons, and sometimes the slanging matches just make me think that I can't be bothered to read it all.

When we decided to come out to Oz, we had to change our way of life from something that was quite good in the UK, back into catering. This was the only way that we could get our 457IE due to our ages. We didn't want to be opening a Restaurant again and working 14 - 16 hours a day, but that was the only way that we could get our foot in the door. To be totally honest, we found it very difficult working those hours to start with, and I remember the first week thinking 'oh my god, what have we done, I said that I would never go into catering again'.
We have now settled into working and living in Australia. We are all very happy at the moment, but you can never say never, as I did about the catering game. I could just as well say it about going back to the UK.
There are many things that I miss. One of them being my Daughter and Granchildren. Another, having a house with land, and my horses, but as much as I miss all that, I know that I can't expect to have everything at once here, and just hope that in the future, some of those things will be possible once again.

Good luck to all of you that are going back to the UK for whatever reason. At least you have experienced another bit of life, instead of sitting on your backsides and wishing this and that. Youv'e done it, youv'e experienced it, you at least won't be one of those in years to come, be saying ' If only'.

Best wishes

Whisky
Old Apr 7th 2004, 8:20 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: How bad is this? (no humour)

Originally posted by whisky
To be honest Chippy, I don't really have a lot of time to be on here, which is one of the main reasons, and sometimes the slanging matches just make me think that I can't be bothered to read it all.

When we decided to come out to Oz, we had to change our way of life from something that was quite good in the UK, back into catering. This was the only way that we could get our 457IE due to our ages. We didn't want to be opening a Restaurant again and working 14 - 16 hours a day, but that was the only way that we could get our foot in the door. To be totally honest, we found it very difficult working those hours to start with, and I remember the first week thinking 'oh my god, what have we done, I said that I would never go into catering again'.
We have now settled into working and living in Australia. We are all very happy at the moment, but you can never say never, as I did about the catering game. I could just as well say it about going back to the UK.
There are many things that I miss. One of them being my Daughter and Granchildren. Another, having a house with land, and my horses, but as much as I miss all that, I know that I can't expect to have everything at once here, and just hope that in the future, some of those things will be possible once again.

Good luck to all of you that are going back to the UK for whatever reason. At least you have experienced another bit of life, instead of sitting on your backsides and wishing this and that. Youv'e done it, youv'e experienced it, you at least won't be one of those in years to come, be saying ' If only'.

Best wishes

Well good luck with the business. You've taken brave steps and deserve to enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 10:25 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Now this sounds familiar!

I've just been told that I didn't get the job I was after (my job, but on a permanent basis, rather than a fixed term contract. It went to an Aussie I hired a few months back!) So, that means that I have five months to get something else organised before my present 457 visa runs out.

This being the case, we've gone to "Plan B", with Mrs DUP being the primary applicant. However, with the new 120 point requirement, and her being in a 50 point job category, that means regional visas. That's not a problem to us, as we intended to live regionally, anyway. However, it means a bit of a scrabble for jobs / income.

We also have a couple of other possible methods of getting PR, so we'll work on those, too.

Going back to the UK is not an option to us. We burned all bridges when we left. For those who DO decide to go back, good luck. I think life's far too short to stay somewhere which doesn't suit you, for whatever reason. And if anyone wants to 'boo, hiss' at you, then let's see THEM try it. The critics are usually those who've not yet made the move themselves, and have NO idea how stressful it all is. Anyway, no-one EVER erected a statue for a critic. It's the one who get out and DO that get the statues.
Hey old man you might as well give up and come home. Make way for the real king of the jungle. You tigers are pretenders to the throne

Your news really, really sux
DUP, I think your attitude is great. Not dwelling on the what if but what can be. Best of Ozzish to you and the Dupess
Old Apr 8th 2004, 12:50 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Bix
Hey old man you might as well give up and come home. Make way for the real king of the jungle. You tigers are pretenders to the throne

Your news really, really sux
DUP, I think your attitude is great. Not dwelling on the what if but what can be. Best of Ozzish to you and the Dupess
"Old man"? Raspberries you YOU, little one!

As my ol' pappy used to say "There's more ways of killing a cat than stuffing it with butter." I always thought that sounded rather cruel, but there ya go! I'll keep you informed of progress.

Any road up, as they say in East London, it's Good Friday, so a four day long weekend stretches ahead of me, and I have all the 'bits' to specify for this house of ours. "The Dupess" is presently not terribly well - flu turned into a streaming cold, so she's tucked up on the sofa, eating chocolates her loving husband just went out and got her, and watching movies! Bound to make any woman feel better!

Catch ya later.....