Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad is this? (no humour)

Wikiposts

How bad is this? (no humour)

Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:47 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: How bad is this? (no humour)

Originally posted by hevs
whoops i did, but i ment the expierience of the forum as a whole, not necessarily the person feeling intimidated. Does that make sense? I'm crap at articulating, i think me and badge were seperated at birth

LOL
Articulating.....? I didn't know you were a lorry driver.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:49 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by lee/jane
listening to both sides negs/pos only gives you a an idea of what it must be like to live in oz, you will only ever know if you try it.

for myself i dont want to be 60 and thinking what if, i will try it with a open mind negs/pos and give it my best shot

That's it.....
Regret what you do do.....not what you don't do.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:50 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lee/jane
listening to both sides negs/pos only gives you a an idea of what it must be like to live in oz, you will only ever know if you try it.

for myself i dont want to be 60 and thinking what if, i will try it with a open mind negs/pos and give it my best shot
Exactly my sentiments. Your last line there was pretty much the line that convinced me to jump a couple of months back.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:53 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
That's it.....
Regret what you do do.....not what you don't do.

Personally I try not to regret anything because it's a thoroughly pointless emotion! Things happen, you deal with them and you learn from them, the good stuff and the bad.

But I'm with you, got to try something to know whether it's for you. But it doesn't hurt to arm yourself with a few facts first...
Old Apr 5th 2004, 12:59 am
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by bundy
Personally I try not to regret anything because it's a thoroughly pointless emotion! Things happen, you deal with them and you learn from them, the good stuff and the bad.

But I'm with you, got to try something to know whether it's for you. But it doesn't hurt to arm yourself with a few facts first...

Agreed. But there comes a point when you've got to stop thinking about it and just do it. Something I've tried to reinforce with the beloved Mrs.Chippy in recent times.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:00 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
Agreed. But there comes a point when you've got to stop thinking about it and just do it. Something I've tried to reinforce with the beloved Mrs.Chippy in recent times.

Absolutely. And then something comes along to chuck a spanner in the works and you're back to just thinking (dreaming???) about it all again...
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Scrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really niceScrundlebunny is just really nice

Sometimes that can be all the difference between feeling totally isolated and realising there are others out there who have got throught what your going through.
Thats what makes the difference, bundy you are spot on. Friends and family back on the other side of the world can condemn you for going or encourage you or whatever, but they cant understand, cos they haven't done it, and in most cases will never do it.
Its very true that everyone chirps up with the congrats posts, but when someone is so depressed they are leaving Oz, they just get condemned for it by the majority of the forum.

However, there is still a community spirit out there - i proved that last week when i was at rock bottom, but people were posting good wishes and stuff, without knowing me at all. Its just a shame that every so often someone posts something hurtful which drives the depressed person even lower. I had some lovely pms, really cheered me up and made me feel its worth staying.

Chippy, i think you will understand more when you get here. I have the same basic theory, that i have to help myself, its no-one elses problem but mine if i'm miserable, but when you are here, miles from familiarity, you may come to realise how important that support in the background really is.
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:51 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

This wasn't a thread about is it right or wrong to go or not to go.

Just about maybe thinking before we jump on those honest enough to bear their souls and say why its not working out for them, without being called a winger or a negative person. And also to just accept the fact that moving 12,000 miles isn't for everyone, except for for those of us that are a little kerazeeeee
Old Apr 5th 2004, 1:54 am
She's a bird, you know

This wasn't a thread about is it right or wrong to go or not to go.

Just about maybe thinking before we jump on those honest enough to bear their souls and say why its not working out for them, without being called a winger or a negative person. And also to just accept the fact that moving 12,000 miles isn't for everyone, except for for those of us that are a little kerazeeeee
Very true. Trouble is, you can't know until you try it, right?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I always like Janeyrays posts. She's been here given it a try decided it's not for her & is going back. I'd like to think people like her who are not afraid to post the negatives aren't shot down in flames. Although everyone is emigrating we all have different experiences & perspectives, it works for some not others & everyone making the move should be open minded about what will happen. People should be open to hearing positives & negatives in preparation.

Loopy
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: How bad is this? (no humour)

I've been reading the "realists" versus the "dreamers" thread (not what its title is, but basically thats what the topic boils down to) and i just thought you might like to know something. Two families from this forum who came overhere at the same (ish) time as us have left and gone home, the reasons why are basically jobs (lack off) and family illnesses etc which compound the problems of things "not working out"

Both of the families involved can't be bothered to do a thread because of the slagging off and criticising they will get from certain people on here, they also don't feel up to the hassle of defending themselves at this stressful time.

I think its sad that we all start off with such burning ambitions, (some might call them dreams) and heartfelt aspirations and sheer exileration of what lies ahead. We all start off as a great group, supporting and encouraging one another. But then things seem to go sour to the point of not wanting to post some very real thoughts and problems due to the "stop winging and give us a go" bunch, or the negative "we told you it was crap and what did you expect" bunch.

I just think its tradgic that a place that starts off as such a fantastic help when things are rosy turns so intimidating when people hit real problems and could do with the support
Don't know what the answer is, but its a shame

Now could someone pass me a ladder so i can get my short ass off this soap box. Ta

I'm a bit lost here.... who would say say nasty things to them?

I dont think there is anyone on here who would scorn upon anyone feeling down, or looking for support for whatever reason it may be. Who do they think would do such a thing?
Old Apr 5th 2004, 3:52 am
Application in!

Andy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is a really valid thread to start, as people do sometimes disappear up their own proverbials on occasion.

A couple of observations from me:

Sometimes people refer to "the site" as if it's a living entity, as if it is capable of doing good or ill. All any of these sites / forums are are a vehicle for people to exchange views. You get an interesting cross section on here, but in the main, like - minded people tend to frequent it. You can't influence what goes on here, no more than walking into a pub, asking for some quiet, and then saying, "Right tonight, I wish only to receive encouragement and positive comments!" - ain't gonna happen!

One thing I WILL say, is that most people here will have a strong view one way or the other, as they either have the balls to get up and do something about changing their lives or have "gone down fighting" if things haven't worked out.

Personally, I believe in supporting people to achieve their dreams. A couple of quotes spring to mind, "If you say you can, or if you say you can't, you are probably right" (Henry Ford) and "Those who say something cannot be done should stop interrupting those who are actually doing it" (Don't know who did that one)

In my view (for what it's worth) a healthy dose of pragmatism is always needed on these forums. The relative anonymity allows people to indulge their viewpoint far more openly than if it were face to face.

Pick your people you value, and those you don't - probably the only way to stay sane! I've only been around for a while, and I've had my mind made up on quite a few people, but that's an entirely personal thing, based on what I want to get out of this site.

I have seen some wonderful displays of the best of Human Nature (e.g. Messages re Bundy's Mum - I hope she is doing well by the way) and also some displays from people who I would quite happily take a "virtual" baseball bat too!

Ooh, I'm off for a lie down.

Keep reaching for the stars whilst keeping your feet on the ground...

Hugs to all who want 'em

Andy
Old Apr 5th 2004, 4:39 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

22,835 registered members ... that's a lot of opinions to consider. I'm sure the majority of those will be supportive of anyone with a problem whether it's just what form they need to fill in, or how they will cope during a crisis.

There will be always people out of all those thousands who feel strongly enough about a post to make comment against it. Sometimes it might not be want you want to hear but sometimes it might be something you have to hear. A different point of view might not always be a bad thing.

Personally i think hevs friends who don't want to post on here are doing the right thing if they feel that way.... and they have my respect for it. However we shouldn't critisis the negative posters for putting their views forward. If you decide to post you should be prepared for them, if you're not then don't post.

As chippy suggested, it's down to us as individuals to decide what to take to heart and what not to... it's just the nature of the beast that we are all playing with.

...having said all that i'll be after all the support i can get once i leave here and i don't mind admitting it!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:07 am
Re mem mem member

loose will become famous soon enough

Maybe i'm niave but its pretty simple to me.

Its important that positive and negative opinions are posted. People need their eyes opening before making a big decision. But remember that opinions are all they are. Its also important not to jump down someone throat when they post negative or positive information.

I know what hevs is saying, there are times when people are too quick to chip in with their know it all postings and it can seem intimidating. I've thought about posting loads of times then just decided I cant be arsed with some of the bollocks replies I might get.

My advice is have a good look around on here, and you soon get an idea of who can get carried away on both sides. Take what they say with a pinch of salt!

Hevs, best wishes to the families you originally mentioned.

Anyone else, you've got this far, you've obviousley got the balls to make your own minds up!
Old Apr 5th 2004, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andy66
I think this is a really valid thread to start, as people do sometimes disappear up their own proverbials on occasion.

Personally, I believe in supporting people to achieve their dreams. A couple of quotes spring to mind, "If you say you can, or if you say you can't, you are probably right" (Henry Ford) and "Those who say something cannot be done should stop interrupting those who are actually doing it" (Don't know who did that one)...

Talking of inspirational lines, my favourite is "if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.