Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How bad are the flies?

How bad are the flies?

Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:15 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How bad are the flies?

Originally Posted by AndyD
Great, sounds like lots of fun! Better invest in a fly squatter or stay and eat indoors Nov-Jan
Don't bother with a swatter. you'll end up looking like your having a fit! The more energy you expend the hotter you get the sweatier you get the more flies you attract and as a bonus because your hotter and breathing faster with all that effort you will attract more mossies too! :scared:
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Great, sounds like lots of fun! Better invest in a fly squatter or stay and eat indoors Nov-Jan
It is not the food that attracts them.

They are after the moisture in your eyes,mouth, nose etc :scared:

Until you experience them it is hard to comprehend.

We once went for a walk around Cressbrook reservoir in QLD and had to give up as they made it so miserable.

Also you have to watch out for Sand and Marsh flies...they are not as irritating as the others but will give you a very painful bite. :scared:

Actually it is not a bite....they actually stab you

G

Last edited by Grayling; Oct 15th 2005 at 9:40 am.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 9:37 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is not the food that attracts them.

They are after the moisture in your eyes,mouth, nose etc :scared:

Until you experience them it is hard to comprehend.

We once went for a walk around Cressbrook reservoir in QLD and had to give up as they made it so miserable.

Also wyou have to watch out for Sand and Marsh flies...they are not as irritating as the others but will give you a very painful bite. :scared:

Actually it is not a bite....they actually stab you

G

G
ON a trip to the Red Centre once, was on a very long walk, must have been 35 plus. Walked for a few hours drinking lots of water and was bloody sweaty. My back was sweaty and you can guess the rest. T-shirt full of flies. Dont bother swatting as others have said. When they get near your face I do a down and then sideways motion in front of my face, almost resembles a blessing by the pope!

And sand flies. God I was bitten to pieces by them. My back was awful, was agony
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

The closer you are to the country/bush the worse they become.

We're right near the beach in suburban Sydney, miles from any bushland and the flies are negligible - no worse than in the UK and not a problem at all. We don't even have fly screens on any windows or doors.

Someone posted a great link about Australian flies a while back - all you ever wanted to know about them and more http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:30 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul2004
Out of curiosity how are the flies over on the East side?

I was out there end of July and didn't see a thing, let alone flies, but it WAS Winter!

Sure it'll be a totally diff story in December, but how bad on the fly front anyone?

Cheers
You're right, you wouldn't have seen very many anyway in winter, but to be honest we don't get that many in Brisbane, well certainly not like in the country & as Perth has been described . Not saying that there are none - but not that many, especially in the suburbs. Even less if you live closer to the coast.

And when they do come around, its always for the food, thank god they are not trying to get in your eyes & nose & mouth :scared: :scared:
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Lordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud ofLordflasheart has much to be proud of

This is for expats in Perth. How bad are the flies in the summer time? Are they just annoying or are they a real problem? Been told the further from the City the worst it gets.

How about chucking something dead over nextdoor's fence?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:15 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart
LOL! Or going round to the neighbors lawn in the dead of night and leaving a big Mr. Whippy!!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lordflasheart

If the flies are that bad there, then anything is worth a try even if it means upseting the neighbours
Old Oct 15th 2005, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by arkon
LOL! Or going round to the neighbors lawn in the dead of night and leaving a big Mr. Whippy!!
Ice cream anyone?

OK....Arkons it is then :scared:

Old Oct 15th 2005, 2:07 pm
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You're right, you wouldn't have seen very many anyway in winter, but to be honest we don't get that many in Brisbane, well certainly not like in the country & as Perth has been described . Not saying that there are none - but not that many, especially in the suburbs. Even less if you live closer to the coast.

And when they do come around, its always for the food, thank god they are not trying to get in your eyes & nose & mouth :scared: :scared:

Cheers.

(mental note) Do not walk around garden with cheese sandwich on head! ...
Old Oct 15th 2005, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
It was one of the things I expected to be a pain in the tropics but they have not been a problem. Well in the first 11 months anyway.

But as for Perth ?
I like posting this link

http://www.viacorp.com/flybook/fulltext.html/#bushflies

yes you do!!!!!
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:11 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

The "Bush flies" are annoying its the "Dunny Budgies" that piss me off, ..... mm
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:42 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Drink Through it. Or wear one of these....

Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Oh yeah...forgot to add the blow flies! Now they are seriously yuck! They spray live mini maggots onto food... :scared:
oh my god i did not know that, thanks.
I wil not eat in the fly season. Oh well one way to loose weight.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 12:10 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by cranni
oh my god i did not know that, thanks.
I wil not eat in the fly season. Oh well one way to loose weight.
You won't loose weight I'm affraid because the flies like sharing their food with you too! Very sociable of them I think. They like nothing more than to land on a nice steaming pile of sh*t then fly over to you and eat their dinner whilst lodged in your mouth or up your nose. :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.