Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How Australia puts bounce into voting

How Australia puts bounce into voting

Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:57 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default How Australia puts bounce into voting

With general election day drawing ever closer in the UK, many voters face quite a battle - to overcome the boredom of casting a ballot at a polling station. Is there a way to brighten up the day?

So should voters in the UK expect to see cake stalls and bouncy castles when they decide on the fate of the government?
Would it be enough to draw you out to vote if you don't already?
Is it the threat of a fine that gets the aussies to the polls, or the promise of a lamington?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:07 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How Australia puts bounce into voting

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
With general election day drawing ever closer in the UK, many voters face quite a battle - to overcome the boredom of casting a ballot at a polling station. Is there a way to brighten up the day?

So should voters in the UK expect to see cake stalls and bouncy castles when they decide on the fate of the government?
Would it be enough to draw you out to vote if you don't already?
Is it the threat of a fine that gets the aussies to the polls, or the promise of a lamington?
It's the threat of a fine !!!

Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It's the threat of a fine !!!
'Fraid so. As much as I love bouncy castles I think it'd take more than that to convince me to vote for any of the devious buggers up for election.
I'm suprised by the statistics though - I actually know heaps of Australians who manage to resist the temptation of the sausage sizzles and don't vote on principle. (And none of them have actually been fined yet!)
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:06 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Maybe they should change the polling day to Saturday. Thursday seems so inconvienient nowadays.

A.
PS: They could allow internet voting through the secure Government Gateway - or do they not trust that? Make it easier to vote and people might start voting again.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Maybe they should change the polling day to Saturday. Thursday seems so inconvienient nowadays.

A.
PS: They could allow internet voting through the secure Government Gateway - or do they not trust that? Make it easier to vote and people might start voting again.
Those are sensible answers and probably more likely to work.
What I'm wondering is whether UK voters are less easily impressed with the gimmicks than the Aussie ones.
If someone in the UK can't be bothered to go out and vote, would a sausage sarnie change their mind? Is that all it takes to get the aussies interested?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Un-Co
'Fraid so. As much as I love bouncy castles I think it'd take more than that to convince me to vote for any of the devious buggers up for election.
I'm suprised by the statistics though - I actually know heaps of Australians who manage to resist the temptation of the sausage sizzles and don't vote on principle. (And none of them have actually been fined yet!)
My wife got fined on the one occasion she forgot !!

I've avoided it all so far, but i'm getting closer to getting the citizenship forms filled in, and then I have to decide on the lessor of two evils:
Get fined if I don't go or face the lamingtons if I do

Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

What I'm wondering is whether UK voters are less easily impressed with the gimmicks than the Aussie ones.
If someone in the UK can't be bothered to go out and vote, would a sausage sarnie change their mind? Is that all it takes to get the aussies interested?
No, I bet turnout here would be the same or less if it wasn't compulsory. Think both here and in the UK people are just plain disillusioned with politics. I know I am. If anyone inspired me in any way I'd vote (go on the bouncy castle or not) but the way it is at the moment I really can't see a point.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Un-Co
My hubby got fined last election here, so I don't know how many get away with it as they caught my hubby with a fine the very first time he was supposed to vote - it's B8gger all, just a couple of $$ - he refused to vote . I voted becuse I didn't want the gov to scrounge any more money off me, no matter how little a fine - I just B8ggered up the voting forms that's all, crossed through all the stuff, and wrote Alan Bastard for my vote . But I did put a serious vote down for one form - The fishing party lol ( and yes it's on the vote forms for Qld - they are a party.)

It's very democratic here, actually little Johnny is against compulsory voting, but he doesn't rock the boat ( chicken Sh*te) as many in his party agree with this compulsory voting here.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 28th 2005 at 1:44 am.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Ceri
crossed through all the stuff, and wrote Alan Bastard for my vote .
PMSL!!! I think he made a great political figure.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

PMSL!!! I think he made a great political figure.
Exactly
Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:03 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

As they say in Oz: there's no event that can't be improved with a sausage sizzle.

A.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
As they say in Oz: there's no event that can't be improved with a sausage sizzle.

A.
lol - including bush fires and cremations?