Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How is Aukland weather year-round?

How is Aukland weather year-round?

Old May 31st 2003, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

fysio2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How is Aukland weather year-round?

Investigating the possibility of migrating to Aukland area but would at the same time like to dump the damp, dreary weather of The Netherlands.
How is it (honestly)? How much does it rain and how sunny is it? Are their certain areas around Aukland sunnier/warmier than others? How would you rate it in comparison with the continent or the U.K.? Thanks and cheers.
Old May 31st 2003, 8:19 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody wet and miserable and very humid, occasionally not as bad as the forementioned.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 1st 2003, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice
Default Re: How is Aukland weather year-round?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fysio2 Rains quite a lot -thats why it's so green! - but not as cold as UK, believe east auckland is warmer than West. It's very changable, dreary at times but it is winter !
Old Jun 1st 2003, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

evelynne_r is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the phrase "four seasons in one day" pretty much sums up Auckland weather!
Old Jun 1st 2003, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Default Re: How is Aukland weather year-round?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpat19
Originally posted by fysio2 Rains quite a lot -thats why it's so green! - but not as cold as UK, believe east auckland is warmer than West. It's very changable, dreary at times but it is winter !
Was looking at some houses (websites) North of Auckland and got the feeling that it had to rain alot - beautiful, lush gardens/foliage but that is a sure sign that rains too much .

But is it only in the winter that it rains so or all year round?

Does anyone live in one of the Northern suburbs? Looking for an area that has good schools (for 10 year old), preferably close to beach area. Cheers.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Red face

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Bloody wet and miserable and very humid, occasionally not as bad as the forementioned.

Cheers - Don
Hey Don,
Sounds pretty bad. Are you currently living in Auckland? Very humid you say - meaning now (i.e. winter) or ALWAYS ? I am thinking of going over sometime in the fall for a fact-finding mission - probably around Sept/Oct. will it still be really bad? Although maybe a good idea since seeing it at its worst is probably good, wouldn't you say? Cheers.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 5:05 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by fysio2
Hey Don,
Sounds pretty bad. Are you currently living in Auckland? Very humid you say - meaning now (i.e. winter) or ALWAYS ? I am thinking of going over sometime in the fall for a fact-finding mission - probably around Sept/Oct. will it still be really bad? Although maybe a good idea since seeing it at its worst is probably good, wouldn't you say? Cheers.
I was just having a laugh! AKL weather is I believe pretty good most of the year, no frosts or snow, very mild, rains a fair bit in quantity but not too many days of slow drizzle/ cloud which I find depressing, more likely lots of rain in a short time. We were there March and the weather was always great, though definitely a little bit humid compared to UK.

Cheers - Don
Old Jun 1st 2003, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
I was just having a laugh! AKL weather is I believe pretty good most of the year, no frosts or snow, very mild, rains a fair bit in quantity but not too many days of slow drizzle/ cloud which I find depressing, more likely lots of rain in a short time. We were there March and the weather was always great, though definitely a little bit humid compared to UK.

Cheers - Don
Oh, now I get it. I thought that you lived there and knew what you were talking about !
So let's hear some answers from someone who lives there!!! Cheers.
Old Jun 1st 2003, 6:14 am
Bilbo

Want guff for the gulible or good gear? Search for yourself:

Google: new zealand climate data

The Climate of New Zealand

Old Jun 1st 2003, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Bilbo
Want guff for the gulible or good gear? Search for yourself:

Google: new zealand climate data

The Climate of New Zealand
Thanks, great maps!
Old Jun 1st 2003, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Auckand for 7 years I think it's a great place. Auckand weather, is eaisest if I relate it to English weather.

Summer is like a really GOOD English summer, the weather rarely gets above 30C, but regularly gets to the high 20C.

Spring and Autumn is like a normal English summer, and I expect the average temp is about 20C.

Winter in Auckand is like an English Autumn, it can get cold and wet, and you will get the occasional frost at night but it dosn't last beyond sunrise. I've never seen snow in Auckland.

When it rains it can rain hard and then it will clear up and the sun will come out. You don't get anything like as many dull overcast days as you do in UK.

Because Auckand is surrounded by sea it keeps the min temp up and the max temp down.

From Nov to Easter it has a great climate, and if I could swing it I would spend that time in Auckland and Easter to Nov in Brisbane, which for me would be close to ideal.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 3:49 am
Just Joined

arthurm is an unknown quantity at this point

You can compare temperatures, rainy days, sun hours for Auckland with London, Edinburgh and Birmingham here.

http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 4:18 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I lived in Auckand for 7 years I think it's a great place. Auckand weather, is eaisest if I relate it to English weather.

Summer is like a really GOOD English summer, the weather rarely gets above 30C, but regularly gets to the high 20C.

Spring and Autumn is like a normal English summer, and I expect the average temp is about 20C.

Winter in Auckand is like an English Autumn, it can get cold and wet, and you will get the occasional frost at night but it dosn't last beyond sunrise. I've never seen snow in Auckland.

When it rains it can rain hard and then it will clear up and the sun will come out. You don't get anything like as many dull overcast days as you do in UK.

Because Auckand is surrounded by sea it keeps the min temp up and the max temp down.

From Nov to Easter it has a great climate, and if I could swing it I would spend that time in Auckland and Easter to Nov in Brisbane, which for me would be close to ideal.
Thanks so much for your input. That's the kind of info I am looking for. I would love to pick your brain about Auckland. Where abouts did you live. I hear that North of Auckland is where you want to be. I would love to be near good beaches - is the east coastal area nice? What about the schools (assuming you have children)? I hear that NZ is more expensive than Oz due to importation of so much goods. I know difficult but could you give the +/- of living there for the 7 years.
Why did you pick Brisbane? vs. Perth which I hear weatherwise is fantastic. Isn't Brisbane too humid?
Hope to hear soon. Cheers.
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

icklepickle is an unknown quantity at this point

> http://www.emigratenz.org/NewZealandClimate.html
Is a good URL, I'm suprised to find that Auckland and Wellington are much wetter than the UK (although I note that they did not compare it to Yorkshire which is a very wet place - well my bit is anyway).

Do you get a lot of mosquitoes etc in the evenings?

Regards
Old Jun 2nd 2003, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

xpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nicexpat19 is just really nice

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fysio2 Don't limit yourself to only North Auckland. West and East are also very nice and they are all different, also every where in Auckland is near a beach !
Education is not as good as UK I've found - it seems a lot more relaxed but I'm hoping things get a bit more serious once they start high school - There are also lots of very good private schools .
Kiwipauls description of ak weather was excellent and spot on - Well Done !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.