Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

How to approach an agent about getting a pet

How to approach an agent about getting a pet

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of
Default How to approach an agent about getting a pet

After giving the matter some very long and hard consideration, I've decided that I would really like to get myself a cat. I've always had pets and it just doesn't feel right being without a fuzzy friend, plus I think having another heart beat in the house will help me deal with being on my own while the hubby's at work. Just wanted a few tips or pointers to help maximise my chances of having a pet approved at our rental house.

When the house was advertised, it did state pets on application so I know its not a complete waste of time. I don't know weather to write to the agent with all of the reasons that I would like to keep a cat here and to let them know that I am a responsible owner, and will ensure that the little guy will have his claw protectors on at all times, so there is no risk of damage to their white leather sofas. Or would it be more advisable to have a quite word with the agent first. Luckily (or unluckily depends on how you look at it) the agent is also my next door neighbour and has at times dropped in unexpectedly to sort things out, so he knows that we are good tenants and that we do take really good care of the place, so much so they have said that they have no need to do the six week inspection because they know everything is fine.

I've gone about this the wrong way round already as I have found and fell in love with a little kitty and would be devastated not to be able to bring him home.

Any advice?
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to approach an agent about getting a pet

Originally Posted by Kamie26
After giving the matter some very long and hard consideration, I've decided that I would really like to get myself a cat. I've always had pets and it just doesn't feel right being without a fuzzy friend, plus I think having another heart beat in the house will help me deal with being on my own while the hubby's at work. Just wanted a few tips or pointers to help maximise my chances of having a pet approved at our rental house.

When the house was advertised, it did state pets on application so I know its not a complete waste of time. I don't know weather to write to the agent with all of the reasons that I would like to keep a cat here and to let them know that I am a responsible owner, and will ensure that the little guy will have his claw protectors on at all times, so there is no risk of damage to their white leather sofas. Or would it be more advisable to have a quite word with the agent first. Luckily (or unluckily depends on how you look at it) the agent is also my next door neighbour and has at times dropped in unexpectedly to sort things out, so he knows that we are good tenants and that we do take really good care of the place, so much so they have said that they have no need to do the six week inspection because they know everything is fine.

I've gone about this the wrong way round already as I have found and fell in love with a little kitty and would be devastated not to be able to bring him home.

Any advice?
Just ask the agent if the owners would be against you getting a cat. He will phone and check and let you know.

That's what my wife did about getting a small dog. They said yes, it's ok as long as it's small.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Just ask the agent if the owners would be against you getting a cat. He will phone and check and let you know.

That's what my wife did about getting a small dog. They said yes, it's ok as long as it's small.
Thats simple enough thanks. I have a terrible habit of over thinking things when I really want something.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

TKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really niceTKline is just really nice

Make sure you're familiar with your full rights as a tenant. There's a list here of all the official Tenants Advice Unions etc for each state...

http://www.australianpropertyportal.com/tenants

A lot of tenants let the landlord get away with too much. Tenants have greater rights than most people think.

Make sure you know your rights.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 10:04 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kamie26

Any advice?
I would suggest you write a letter for the landlord - otherwise your request will be passed on by the agent and they may not be as persuasive as you. In it you need to say how responsible a pet owner you are, how you will make good any damage, and how you will happily pay a pet bond.
Many aussie landlords have a bit of a phobia about indoor animals so I would leave out any mention of potential damage to specific furnishings.
Pets on application is a very good sign - but I can't believe 6 weekly inspections!!! You poor soul. In NSW 4 times a year is the limit and frankly if tenants are responsible after the first few, then 6 months is more than fine.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 1:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Say to the agent that you are prepared to keep the cat in, I know some neighbours are against cats crapping in their gardens, we have a cat round our way that 'logs out' in everyones gardens and its awful, so that could be a problem.

Perhaps if you say it will be an indoor cat or at least you will buy an outdoor cat pen for it - it shows you are considering your neighbours.

Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:07 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

worked for us, but then we had to move to another rental and we had to lie through our teeth, was a bloomin nightmare
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 2:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
worked for us, but then we had to move to another rental and we had to lie through our teeth, was a bloomin nightmare
Mmmm. That may be us at some point. Don't think my family thought of that one.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks people you have all given really good advice.

My plan of action is to speak to the landlord tomorrow and see how it goes. If we get knocked back, I have a letter already to go to explain what we are willing to do (professional house clean on moving, pet bond, soft claw pet protectors etc) and how and why we are responsible owners, and also a letter of reference from my neighbour in the UK that confirms my cats weren't a nuisance.

If the still say no, we are going to point out that we are doing the owner a huge favour by allowing her to store a shit load of her stuff in out garage. We said that she could put some stuff in,but she took the piss and there is barely enough room to put the cars in plus they filled a wardrobe in the spare bed room I wasn't that bothered because its not one that we use, but since my stuff arrived from the UK, we have actually lost a bedroom as we have no where else to store it because all the storage space is taken. It may have to come to, well if you cannot do us a favour, get your crap into storage or the rent has to come down. I don't really want to go down this route though as it really doesn't really bother me that much. Just think that one had should wash the other sometimes.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 8:57 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mmmm. That may be us at some point. Don't think my family thought of that one.
and by then they're like another child, you would do anything for them
Old Oct 28th 2011, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Well despite us offering a pet bond, professional cleaning at the end of tenancy, claw protectors, regular maintenance of flea and tick medications, a cat run in the garden and many many other things, they owner has said no.

Don't know what galls me most, that she has taken a week to think about this only to say that she did state no pets, or the fact that the house was advertised as pets on application so we took it on the assumption that there was the possibility of getting a pet. Now it looks like there was never the possibility there at all.

I am so so tempted to just bring them in here anyway and say stuff them but then I know that two wrongs don't make a right. What I do know is that I want out of the house asap but not really sure that the advertised potential to have a pet when there was never any intention to approve is reason enough to brake a lease. If any of you have any ideas they would be gratefully received.

I'm not happy here anyway, the house is lovely and all that but its just me here on my own most of the time and its just too big (do I seriously need four bedrooms, I think I do not. What an idiotic idea it was in the first place), plus the area just isn't me. I'd most probably be using the no pets as an excuse to get out of an unhappy situation but still.