Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

housing grant for PR

housing grant for PR

Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:07 am
Just Joined

ChrisG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default housing grant for PR

Hi, I heard that OZ govt will give A$7,000 for Australian PR who buys housing/properties for the first time. Does this benefit also applicable for those who receive their PR through Partner Migration (Spouse/prospective marriage)?
Does anyone know anything about this? Please revert.

Thank you

Chris
Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

stay or go ? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: housing grant for PR

Originally posted by ChrisG:
Hi, I heard that OZ govt will give A$7,000 for Australian PR who buys housing/properties for the first time. Does this benefit also applicable for those who receive their PR through Partner Migration (Spouse/prospective marriage)?

Thank you

Chris
PR is PR is PR.....all the same to the Federal Govt. The 1st Time Home Owners Grant has been flogged to death for the last 18 months i think, and still going strong (ends soon though, from what i hear on the radio - might be wrong though). Most building firms will match the grant to set as a deposit for a house as well. Not bad - Metrocon do a nice $180k 3 bedroom jobbie on the outskirts of melbourne....
Old Sep 11th 2002, 5:51 pm
Robert Edwards

Not quite right "stay or go" the grant goes on but there has been a period whereby it
was increased dramatically and helped boost home ownership and increased activity in
the housing market but you are certainly right in that PR is PR etc. Rob

"stay or go ?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by ChrisG:
    > > Hi, I heard that OZ govt will give A$7,000 for Australian PR who buys
    > > housing/properties for the first time. Does this benefit also applicable for
    > > those who receive their PR through Partner Migration (Spouse/prospective
    > > marriage)? Does anyone know anything about this? Please revert.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > Chris
    > PR is PR is PR.....all the same to the Federal Govt. The 1st Time Home Owners Grant
    > has been flogged to death for the last 18 months i think, and still going strong
    > (ends soon though, from what i hear on the radio
    > - might be wrong though). Most building firms will match the grant to set as a
    > deposit for a house as well. Not bad - Metrocon do a nice $180k 3 bedroom jobbie
    > on the outskirts of melbourne....
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 11th 2002, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I ask for some definition here... I am on a spouse visa, but it is only classed as a Temp one til I have been there 2 years and then I go through the permanent phase... which means I am not on a PR correct?

Yvonne

3 days til we leave, 5 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
Not quite right "stay or go" the grant goes on but there has been a period whereby it
was increased dramatically and helped boost home ownership and increased activity in

> Originally posted by ChrisG:
    > > Hi, I heard that OZ govt will give A$7,000 for Australian PR who buys
    > > housing/properties for the first time. Does this benefit also applicable for
    > > those who receive their PR through Partner Migration (Spouse/prospective
    > > marriage)? Does anyone know anything about this? Please revert.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > Chris
    > PR is PR is PR.....all the same to the Federal Govt. The 1st Time Home Owners Grant
    > has been flogged to death for the last 18 months i think, and still going strong
    > (ends soon though, from what i hear on the radio
    > - might be wrong though). Most building firms will match the grant to set as a
    > deposit for a house as well. Not bad - Metrocon do a nice $180k 3 bedroom jobbie
    > on the outskirts of melbourne....
    > --
Old Sep 11th 2002, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert Edwards:
[QUOTE]

only time that you could get more money was if you a) wanted to own your first home AND b) wanted to build your first home - in that instance, the Federal Grant was 2x $7k. If you only wanted to own your first home, then $7k is all you got. That is in the past now (back in May I think it finished). Rob - do you know when the Home OWNERS grant runs out ? I heard it was end of Sept this year ?

Re: Spousal Temp / Perm stuff - if you aint got the PR sticker in your passport, you are not a permanent resident so you wont qualify - sorry !

cheers
Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:17 am
Robert Edwards

Oh I do not think it is going to run out at all have had a brief look at the
Government site again at
http://www.firsthome.gov.au/ and it seems
to go on it did make me look when you indicated it may terminated this year because I
had not heard of that before.

Rob Edwards

Rob - do you know when the Home
    > > OWNERS grant runs out ? I heard it was end of Sept this year ?
    > >
    > > Re: Spousal Temp / Perm stuff - if you aint got the PR sticker in your passport,
    > > you are not a permanent resident so you wont qualify
    > > - sorry !
    > >
    > > cheers
    > --

Old Sep 12th 2002, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

yeah - looks like i got confused. after reading that website (helpful, thanks) it was the home builders reduced grant that got canned back in june.

cool - if and when my perm residency comes through (mar '03), $7k towards my Portsea Penninsual Mansion ! yippee !
Old Sep 12th 2002, 3:12 am
Robert Edwards

Lucky you.....I used to train at Portsea and it is still one of my fav
spots...Rosebud area etc back beaches ..and now I have to languish on the Gold Coast

> yeah - looks like i got confused. after reading that website (helpful, thanks) it
    > was the home builders reduced grant that got canned back in june.
    > cool - if and when my perm residency comes through (mar '03), $7k towards my
    > Portsea Penninsual Mansion ! yippee !
    > --

Old Sep 12th 2002, 4:57 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by ChrisG:

Thank you

Chris
Simple answer is yes.
The 7,000 grant is given to all Citizens and PR's (single people/married people/de-facto etc , etc).It used to be 14, then 10 thousand for brand new built homes only, and 7 for old. Now it's gone down to 7 for brand new homes(so,it's now 7 for old and new)
But, say you and your partner buy two homes, one in eachothers name, and both apply for a grant for each house (if you are still in a relationship together/living together) - no, this is illegal. It's one grant per spouse/defacto.

Cheers

P.S , don't get too excited about the 7,000 - legals, and stamp duty usually eats it all up . The government gives with one hand , and takes it back with the other.
I'm in the process of building/buying a home myself... argh the legals, and expence!

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 12th 2002 at 5:11 am.
Old Sep 12th 2002, 5:27 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by ywoods:
Can I ask for some definition here... I am on a spouse visa, but it is only classed as a Temp one til I have been there 2 years and then I go through the permanent phase... which means I am not on a PR correct?

Yvonne

3 days til we leave, 5 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE
I'm not sure exactly which visa you are on, but if you've got to renew your visa in two years time with immigration, you are not on a PR visa.

PR - you don't ever have to renew your visa - unless you leave Australia for some time.

PR - which You may actually be on now (?), and you may be getting confused about the 2 year period for other reasons:

You need to be a PR for two years to claim any government assistance if you can't find work etc (dole)
And I think you need to be PR for at least two years before you can apply to be a citizen (that's if you want an Australian passport)

cheers
Old Sep 12th 2002, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point

Looked at sticker in passport... Provisional Resident.. so no I aint PR

I just wanted to clear it up Not buying a home just yet so I aint worred about the grant

Yvonne

2 days til we leave, 4 til we arrive. WATCH OUT MELBOURNE

Originally posted by Ceri:

I'm not sure exactly which visa you are on, but if you've got to renew your visa in two years time with immigration, you are not on a PR visa.

PR - you don't ever have to renew your visa - unless you leave Australia for some time.

PR - which You may actually be on now (?), and you may be getting confused about the 2 year period for other reasons:

You need to be a PR for two years to claim any government assistance if you can't find work etc (dole)
And I think you need to be PR for at least two years before you can apply to be a citizen (that's if you want an Australian passport)

cheers
Old Sep 12th 2002, 6:13 am
Robert Edwards

In fact it used to be 7K then was increased for a specified period with variations,
it has just returned to how it was. 7K is 7K especially if you don't get it.

"Ceri" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > P.S , don't get too excited about the 7,000 - legals, and stamp duty usually eats
    > it all up . The government gives with one hand , and takes it back with the
    > other. I'm in the process of building/buying a home myself... argh the legals,
    > and expence!
    > --

Old Sep 12th 2002, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Ceri:

Simple answer is yes.
The 7,000 grant is given to all Citizens and PR's (single people/married people/de-facto etc , etc).It used to be 14, then 10 thousand for brand new built homes only, and 7 for old. Now it's gone down to 7 for brand new homes(so,it's now 7 for old and new)
But, say you and your partner buy two homes, one in eachothers name, and both apply for a grant for each house (if you are still in a relationship together/living together) - no, this is illegal. It's one grant per spouse/defacto.

Cheers

P.S , don't get too excited about the 7,000 - legals, and stamp duty usually eats it all up . The government gives with one hand , and takes it back with the other.
I'm in the process of building/buying a home myself... argh the legals, and expence!
Thanks, I think that's quite a thorough explanation.

Chris
Old Sep 12th 2002, 9:13 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ceri:

Simple answer is yes.

Cheers

Hi Ceri, forgot to clarify one point. Let's say, my partner (an Australian PR) has used her housing grant to purchase a house. Two years later, when I have my PR, can I buy a house using my name using the housing grant given to me? The purchasing time is different.
She is a PR already while I am considering to apply one for myself.

Kindly advise.

Chris
Old Sep 13th 2002, 5:19 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Hi Ceri, forgot to clarify one point. Let's say, my partner (an Australian PR) has used her housing grant to purchase a house. Two years later, when I have my PR, can I buy a house using my name using the housing grant given to me? The purchasing time is different.
She is a PR already while I am considering to apply one for myself.

Kindly advise.

Chris [/QUOTE]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure.
I suppose if the house and mortgage are in your name, and your partner comes to live with you after you purchased the house etc... this may be ok.

There's been quite a lot of people in Australia who have been "milking" the system, buying a couple of houses and putting the house in their partners name and children’s name etc , just so they could get a grant. (Investors/landlords mostly). This is illegal. The government has been clamping down on these people, and ordering them to pay back the grant.

The grant was designed to help out first time home buyers, to help with expense of the GST, legals and such, etc, etc.

You'll have to talk to your lawyer or the bank when you get to Australia, to find out if you can apply for the grant

I'm not sure, I'm not a lawyer ...
I suppose there are exceptions

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.