Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Housing bubble in Australia

Housing bubble in Australia

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing bubble in Australia

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From that July 6th 2003 report..

From current figures:
Dec 09 Median Price
Cronulla $1,050,000
Median in Sydney is what, $520K right now. Not $1 million as article states - Sydney wide, unless they are going to double in the next couple of years??!! LOL
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by swigski
All very good but will wages increase at such a rate. If not, the bubble just got even bigger!
Cronulla
2003 House Prices $ 911,000
2009 House Prices $1,050,000
UP 15.26%

NSW
2003 Wages $1,004.60 pw
2009 Wages $1,254.30 pw
UP 24.86%
ABS: Earnings ; New South Wales ; Persons ; Full Time ; Adult ; Total earnings ;

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Median in Sydney is what, $520K right now. Not $1 million as article states - Sydney wide, unless they are going to double in the next couple of years??!! LOL
I agree, house prices just haven't gone up have they.

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:53 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

what are the average earnings for Cronulla from 2003 to 2009?

Have they increase likewise? I'm assuming that Cronulla is better than average when it comes to a place to live, so why state the NSW average??
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, house prices just haven't gone up have they.
No, sideways for the next 5-10 years and house price values eroded by inflation so in real terms 30-50% drop over that time.

That's my crystal ball outlook.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
what are the average earnings for Cronulla from 2003 to 2009?

Have they increase likewise? I'm assuming that Cronulla is better than average when it comes to a place to live, so why state the NSW average??
No figures available for individual suburbs, only for State levels. Suburb level rates become available after about 4 or 5 years I think, when issued by the ATO.

On average though, Cronulla's wage increases should be about the same per-centage average as NSW, maybe a little different, but not enough to make a massive change.

These were the average wages in 2005-2006 from the ATO figures.

$ 47,911 Sydney SD (The NSW average per ABS was $45,650 [all persons] or $58,926 full time only)

$100,177 Mosman
$ 82,699 Hunter's Hill
$ 80,568 Woollahra
$ 72,643 Ku-ring-gai
$ 71,266 North Sydney

Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
No, sideways for the next 5-10 years and house price values eroded by inflation so in real terms 30-50% drop over that time.

That's my crystal ball outlook.
That is almost what has happened between 2003 and 2010. No crystal ball needed for the past

Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:32 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

No figures available for individual suburbs, only for State levels. Suburb level rates become available after about 4 or 5 years I think, when issued by the ATO.

On average though, Cronulla's wage increases should be about the same per-centage average as NSW, maybe a little different, but not enough to make a massive change.

These were the average wages in 2005-2006 from the ATO figures.

$ 47,911 Sydney SD (The NSW average per ABS was $45,650 [all persons] or $58,926 full time only)

$100,177 Mosman
$ 82,699 Hunter's Hill
$ 80,568 Woollahra
$ 72,643 Ku-ring-gai
$ 71,266 North Sydney
And what were the median house prices in those areas over the same period. I bet at LEAST 6-8 the wage.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:33 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

That is almost what has happened between 2003 and 2010. No crystal ball needed for the past
If it is almost what happened, what actually DID happen?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:41 am
ABCDiamond

They went up a little bit... which is not exactly the same as your sideways.. is it.

Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:42 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I guess when you are considering the price of houses, you have to take into consideration the quality too.

I saw a big difference between houses under $300k to those over $300k when looking round the southern suburbs of Adelaide last year - not just the number of rooms and/or bathrooms.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:44 am
Banned

They went up a little bit... which is not exactly the same as your sideways.. is it.
When did I mention sideways??

Keep it together old chap!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:57 am
Banned

We've seen a lot of data recently about rising house prices and increasing consumer confidence, all of which would suggest buoyant property markets. But the opposite is the case. Read below article:

http://www.smh.com.au/business/mortg...0131-n6j5.html
Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:18 am
ABCDiamond

When did I mention sideways??

Keep it together old chap!
The statement was:
My reply to that statement was:
The reply to my statement above was:
My further to that was:
When one is in a tag game, the tag team have to accept the rules...

Old Feb 8th 2010, 5:53 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

This isn't quite how I thought the group hug would go ((((()))))

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.