Housing Affordability and Housing Bubble

Wikiposts

Housing Affordability and Housing Bubble

Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

angelico will become famous soon enoughangelico will become famous soon enough
Default Housing Affordability and Housing Bubble

Just thought I should share this...

I was considering buying our first home this year (2008) but when the financial crisis materialized and I did some more in-dept research, I backed out and opted to move my plans to 2009. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this is not the best time to buy a property:

http://bubblepedia.net.au/tiki-index.php

For those considering buying their first home or investing, I strongly suggest reading this wiki. I don't suggest one should take what this people say at face-value, but just consider them...

Here's an excerpt from the home page :

"It's a crazy idea to buy a house in Australia at the current prices. "

They sure do make some good points. Personally, having done my own indepent research, I'm more inclined to take their side....
              Old Dec 11th 2008, 7:27 pm
              Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
              Default Re: Housing Affordability and Housing Bubble

Where do they get their figures? It costs a lot more in many areas of Sydney to rent- we are paying $720 pw for a 3 bed unrenovated house on a busy road and with a train line opposite. If we bought we would be paying similar but for a house that wasn't on a busy road, and we would be allowed to hang pictures on the walls, get heating in, fix the gutters and leaks etc..... All our money is doing is lining the pockets of the landlord and agents.
              Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:16 pm
              _

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelico

I was considering buying our first home this year (2008) but when the financial crisis materialized and I did some more in-dept research, I backed out and opted to move my plans to 2009. Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this is not the best time to buy a property:

They sure do make some good points. Personally, having done my own indepent research, I'm more inclined to take their side....
              I'd be very wary of blindly following the advice of a site that has a single agenda and very clearly only tries to steer people in one direction. Find some information that at least gives a balanced opinion.

Prices have come down considerably in some parts of Oz, and with interest rates heading towards all time lows, it's only a matter of time before the curve starts going the other way. In our area prices have flattened over the last 2 months.

We're paying a lot less than what we were paying on rent and there's nothing like being in your own home.
              Old Dec 11th 2008, 9:25 pm
              ABCDiamond

I read the bit about attacking the newspaper who said property prices have dropped 45%.

They have only taken the headline there and ignored the rest of the article. At least one postcode had has a 45% drop, but another has had a 45% increase, and I think it averaged out at about 1.8% movement.

Take everything with a pinch of salt, or even a couple of cups of salt

Old Dec 11th 2008, 11:29 pm
              Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

Originally Posted by angelico

Good on you for sharing this.

I am a fan of
              [url]http://www.globalhousepricecrash.com[url]

which has a lot more than just house price hearsay, if you fancy some eye-opening discussions on economics/ finance in general.

FWIW I'm not buying until at least 2010 either unless it's evens between paying rent or a mortgage, and WA has a hell of a long way to fall yet ($1million-plus house that you could rent for $600 per week, anyone?)
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:08 am
              Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Most overvalued property prices in the world. I read at an emigrate to oz expo that brisbane average house prices are on a par with outer London now. in a country with p1ss poor wages you do the math. SOmething has to give.
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:22 am
              _

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
              Most overvalued property prices in the world. I read at an emigrate to oz expo that brisbane average house prices are on a par with outer London now. in a country with p1ss poor wages you do the math. SOmething has to give.

Exactly the type of misinformation that you'll find on the sites mentioned above (which have been around for many years by the way). And as ABCDiamond stated, read them with a HUGE pinch of salt.

The median house price in Brisbane in October 2008 was $473,500. I'd be enlightened if you could point out all the detached 4x2's in greater London selling for a mere $205k.
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:10 am
              Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in agreement with Angelico in that I won't be buying an Aussie house for a while. BUT I am basing my 'hunch', (and that's all it is ) that prices will fall based on what has happened in the UK not on these websites. I'm not for a minute doubting Angelico's intentions as I know she is a genuine poster, but these house price websites do attract some nutters and some of them have posted here in the past. They have an agenda, (ie they want a cheaper house) and set out to propagate rumour and panic in order to create house price drops.

Personally I would very happy if prices stabilised - no big drops and no big rises. That would allow wages a chance to catch up with prices without creating negative equity problems for people or overheated markets. I'm sure that won't happen though, the market is never stable.
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:25 am
              Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

:[/QUOTE]

Unless you are rich, you don't get a lot for your new build here do you ??????

hmm

Last edited by mindblower; Dec 12th 2008 at 1:28 am.
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 9:52 am
              ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
              Some inaccuracies in your comment:

Property Prices:

Greater London
              Average Cost for a Detached House : £778,868 ( almost $2 million)
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...l/county37.stm

Brisbane
              Average Cost for a Detached House $473,500 (one third the price of greater London)

Wages:
              February 2008 Average Weekly Earnings Australia & UK comparison

Australia.
              Average Full-time adult total earnings $61,022
              Source: http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6302.0

UK
              UK Average Wage comparison being £23,700 (= $54,510)
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7252504.stm

More salt needed...

Old Dec 12th 2008, 10:48 am
              Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
              UK
              UK Average Wage comparison being £23,700 (= $54,510)
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7252504.stm

That is not the average London wage though.

....and he did say OUTER London...not greater London.

$473000 would not buy you much at all in many parts of Brisbane and certainly not round here.

G
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:03 am
              Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
              ..... All our money is doing is lining the pockets of the landlord and agents.
              Or the banks - assuming one pays interest on a mortgage!
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:45 am
              _

Originally Posted by savanna454
              Or the banks - assuming one pays interest on a mortgage!

True, but only a portion of your repayment will go towards the interest while the rest reduces your debt and ultimately increases your equity over a period of time.

100% of your rent on the other hand will disappear into a black hole never to be seen again.
              Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:57 am
              ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
              That is not the average London wage though.

....and he did say OUTER London...not greater London.

$473000 would not buy you much at all in many parts of Brisbane and certainly not round here.

G
              I see. So I should compare Outer Brisbane to Outer London then.
              5 bed detached houses with pool near me, (under 1 hr commute to CBD) for about $460,000, near the water.
              What Outer London location gives that for about £200,000 ?

He did say "a country with p1ss poor wages" so I compared the Country.

Now, if you wish to compare London wages, they should be compared to the wages in the Capital city of Australia, shouldn't they ?

Old Dec 12th 2008, 12:30 pm
              Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kalenge
              Exactly the type of misinformation that you'll find on the sites mentioned above (which have been around for many years by the way). And as ABCDiamond stated, read them with a HUGE pinch of salt.

The median house price in Brisbane in October 2008 was $473,500. I'd be enlightened if you could point out all the detached 4x2's in greater London selling for a mere $205k.
              you can't compare Brisbane's house prices with London prices.If you are moving to Brisbane from London,just to live in a detached you would be disappointed.The USA is the only comparable market,before the USA crash australian houses were overpriced compared to the USA market.Size per ratio American developers built homes on larger plots than in Aus.The only genneral exemptions were places of high density,inner city living .Out in the suburbs on new land releases 1000 square mertre plots are far more common than here in Aus,even though Aus has more land avaliable.2009 will be the year when prices "sink or swim" .I predict WA will bear the brunt of job loses and suffer the worst price drops

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.